Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1069 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #766
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

I think it would need its own thread :\ Cosworx goes through hundreds of orders a week. Heck, I could contribute at least 6. Way too much to be a subset.

Plus, the main ones that would get posted are just the bad ones since you expect a store order to be good.

A store with items made elsewhere shouldn't be under a commissioner review thread lest it get too clogged up to be useful.

~Ari

Unread 05-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #767
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

I'm not entirely certain of how it could get "clogged" at all, really ^^ It's not like the thread is meant to be navigated through going through every post on every page. They would be integrated into the list just like for any vendor, though under their own category, and accessible directly without congestion.
As has been repeatedly done throughout the thread already, multiple reviews would condensed into one with the number of occurrence included as a reference; no clogging at all ^^
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #768
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanira View Post
So...being a business means that they don't deserve praise for good work, or repercussions for failed transactions?
No, I meant in a (this) thread for commissioners. I didn't mean in general.

Quote:
The concern is definitely appreciated Though it probably would've been more timely when Cosplaywig (an established vendor that does not commission or individually style wigs, but provides base wigs alongside a reference picture of a character they conveniently resemble; I think their supplier may be Cyperous?) was receiving their reviews.
That didn't really catch my eye since it's an eBay store. But I suppose it's in the same category!

Even then, I think it might be a good idea to separate commissioners from stores at some point. You're looking for two very different things there. You look for a commissioner that you can trust to make something to your specifications in an allotted time, can make a quality product, etc. Not just customer service, which is all you can really get from company reviews.

Quote:
While quite a real possibility, at the moment it seems like it would just degrade into a battle of the main wig suppliers; while people here would have their reviews moved and those who submit may have them turned away when they do not believe such justifiable, causing more drama than a negative Cosworx review being posted somewhere besides an easily lockable thread
No, I do understand that. But to be fair, Cosworx complaint threads get closed because Kyle/the Cosworx staff wish to deal with the issues privately and not have them be part of Cosplay.com. I'm not telling you, "Omg delete this review right away! How dare you!", I'm just saying it feels out of place and might prompt the idea to move such reviews to another place, or maybe just clarify the thread itself a bit.

It seems quite a lot of people thought I meant for this to be removed entirely, and that's not the case. (In fact, my first post here said I wasn't asking for it to be taken down!) It's just, I wouldn't be coming to a thread called commissioner reviews to see if I wanted to order a wig from a website or not. Maybe that's just me. It was obviously my mistake for jumping on it only when a Cosworx review came up. I'm starting to regret it, but my main point - that stores are not commissioners - stands true.

I'd be willing to submit reviews of my own business dealings with Cosworx and other sites, if you want to help expand it and possibly separate it a bit.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #769
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
I'd be willing to submit reviews of my own business dealings with Cosworx and other sites, if you want to help expand it and possibly separate it a bit.
Such would be happily welcome! I do understand the rather misleading nature of it (particularly with that easily overlooked eBay store), and the concerns I offered to wait for have come through as two people already, with none on the defensive side.
It would be splendid if there were an alternative, and since a new thread has been the consistently recommended solution, perhaps it should be so? With but Cosplay_wig and Cosworx alone at the moment
Given the state of the Spam Forum, would you possibly mind managing such for us, Michi? I'm not sure what the thoughts of a c.com affiliate tending to such tentative manners would be, but it would be splendid if we could keep the two closely linked rather than separating them by sub-forum.
Have enough complications with the Not to Go To thread being off where it is already

Last edited by Kanira : 05-04-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Unread 05-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #770
nugrosjp
costume maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpuzzle View Post
Name of Commissioner: Cosplay1.com / nugrosjp / Ajie Nugroho

Website/C.com gallery
: cosplay1.com

Character commissioned: Simon from Gurren-Lagann (jacket only)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Never received.

Timeline: Paid full early November 2007, deadline was early February 2008.

Describe your Experience

Pros: Communication was good before I paid it full.
Cons:
- Extremely poor communication after I paid in full.
- He blamed me for not giving him reference pictures of the back of the jacket even when I did. Not to mention I specifically requested him to ask me first before making it if I ever forgot to include anything, or if any details at all were unclear. He did not fulfill this request, and went on to make it based on his own judgment.
- He did not send a final progress picture before shipping it even if I requested him to do so beforehand.
- He did not inform me that he had shipped it (if he did at all...).
- I sent an email of complaint regarding my missed deadline, which he never replied, until I posted on his thread on cosplay.com spamboard (before the site adopted Marketplace). He almost never replied to my emails asking him about the status of my commission, until I mentioned that I decided to file a dispute on Paypal, at which point he acted rude and told me to appreciate him more for what he had done for me. (Which made me ponder, because there wasn't a single thing he did right for me, most of which I tolerated).

Final Grade: F.
(My apologies, but I'm done being blamed, talked back at, and waiting for an expensive costume which never arrives. ='3 I pretty much feel like being scammed, because I gave my money away for a rude commissioner and no product. Will only change the grade if the commissioner is willing to give me a refund, but he's been ignoring me, so I suppose that's it.)
Hi there
I emailed you on Tue Mar 18, 2008 twice regarding the situation and your tracking number status , Have you read it?
I emailed you just now again after read your posted claim here.
Please reply to my email regarding it.

It is in my best wishes that we could solve this problem.
Best regards
Ajie

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=74302

or you can start with my website at
WWW.COSPLAY1.COM

or just drop me an email labalaba_terbang@yahoo.com
nugrosjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #771
4ng31
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutekawaii View Post
I agree. The wig wasn't commissioned to be styled, it's just a wig that cosworx bought wholesale from another supplier. This is a commissioner review thread, not storefront review thread <_<
As this has already been stated previously, every ebay review in this thread is on the same level...they are costume resellers. So on this logic, not only do we take any CosWorx and Amphigory reviews down, but all internet shops and ebay seller reviews should be removed as well.

If CosWorx gets a free pass from criticism, then why is it fair to allow other businesses to not get the same treatment...
Unread 05-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #772
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Though we're also making the point that those should be removed to a different forum as well.
Unread 05-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #773
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

There's nothing wrong with listing a CosWorx review in this thread if it is renamed to something less confusing. CosWorx is not a commission business, it is strictly a retail store and should not be confused as a place that offers commissions, which is the title of this thread and the reason people read it. A decision should be made by members as to whether or not this thread will be for all reviews, or only for commissions as it was originally intended, or if a better system can be set up.

As standard procedure at CosWorx we only deal with customer service issues privately, but since there are some discrepancies in this publicly placed report, I will list the file below.

The order was placed on January 26, 2007 (not January 8th), shipped out the same day on January 26, and a tracking number was provided to the customer. I post this so that anyone reading the issue be aware that there was no delay in shipping the order whatsoever, in fact it shipped out exactly one hour after the order was placed.

An email was received on the evening of Monday the 12th, after business hours, stating the wig hadn't arrived yet. The customer was called the next business day and was told we would look into the issue and make arrangements for an emergency shipment at Katsucon if the delivery could not be found. The shipping issue was uncovered, the customer was contacted and an emergency shipment was sent to the convention to be hand-delivered. The customer agreed to a replacement of a similar wig style as the original item was out of stock. We sincerely apologized for the shipping error and preceding confusion.

For the statement "are you sure you haven't received it and aren't aware that it's there?" - As a rule we ask the customer to please check to make sure the item was not delivered to a back door, to a neighbor, etc. The majority of untracked shipping issues usually fall into this category. This would never have been asked in anything other than a professional manner.

This is all I have on file so I cannot dispute any other specifics as it was 15 months ago, and I can't recall the issue personally as I wasn't at Katsucon. While I do not fault the customer for being upset at the final outcome, the dates I have on file show that the order was shipped promptly and the re-delivery of the order was taken care of in a professional manner once the issue was brought to our attention. I will talk with the staff that attended Katsucon and find out any further information.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #774
-Kitsu

To the original question of if it actually belongs I find that it actually should. Reason for this being that like with commissions you sometimes don't know what you are going to end up when you get a product. Yes there should be a level of professionalism and possibly higher quality expected but we've all come across such services that aren't.

Personally I have had pretty good experiences with Cosworx (with the exception of a miscommunication on their end that was easily fixed), both the online store and the con booths they have, but I have also heard of 2 and 3 months waits to receive things such as boots. So it does make me curious as to what others have experienced with not only cosworx but other online stores.

That being said, I also do agree that either a 2nd thread should be created along the lines of a "Dealers review thread" or rename this thread to the "Commissioner / Dealer review thread".

Also Admin's response does bring up an interesting uestion of what happens if a buyer is possibly incorrect in an aspect of their review. Kanira, would it be possible to link to a response or correction from a commissioner next to the review?
Unread 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #775
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

I would argue that if retail stores are truly added to spirit of the current list, they will eventually take over the list and drown out the smaller commission-based operations. The ratio of orders from a place like CosWorx compared to someone making props part-time is probably more than 500-to-1. It will dilute the effectiveness if people have to wade through 500 retail reviews before coming across the 5 reviews of a commissioner.

Because of this, I am of the opinion that a separate list or system should really be put into place if you want to add retail stores to the mix. They're a completely different beast.

Also, Cosplay.com and the moderators will not be taking any moderation ability over these threads or any future system. I have always been adamant that Cosplay.com allows for the free, unhindered discussion of all stores, even though it directly affects the site's bottom line, and I extend this to threads like this one, even in the case where CosWorx receives a bad review. The most CosWorx will do is offer a response in defense like anyone else would, if warranted.

If a separate section is necessary, then someone can put together a proposal for how it should be set up and I will gladly look it over.
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #776
4ng31
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Also, Cosplay.com and the moderators will not be taking any moderation ability over these threads or any future system. I have always been adamant that Cosplay.com allows for the free, unhindered discussion of all stores, even though it directly affects the site's bottom line, and I extend this to threads like this one, even in the case where CosWorx receives a bad review. The most CosWorx will do is offer a response in defense like anyone else would, if warranted.
A response is perfectly fine from any commissioner/business that wants to reply...it's happened previously, and has led to good results a few times.

I don't think there should be another thread made, as it's just going to get more confusing, as there is already a review thread, and commissioners not to go to thread, a commissioners on cos.com thread...

It needs to stay in one place IMO, makes finding things easier for all users rather than having to hunt around in 4-5 different boards/threads.
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #777
Akito PowWah

Cosfurs

Name of Commissioner Cosfurs
Website/C.com gallery http://freewebs.com/cosfurs
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) Kyuubi Naruto Fox ears and tail
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...o/garden37.png

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...o/garden27.png

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...o/garden15.png

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...to/garden3.png

Timeline (how long your order took to process) About a month
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. Wonderful commissioner, very polite, replied back to e-mails promptly and final product was definitely worth the wait! Also, materials were fantastic!
Final Grade: A+++++

Shhhhh I think you owe me some mochi >D
Akito PowWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #778
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ng31 View Post
A response is perfectly fine from any commissioner/business that wants to reply...it's happened previously, and has led to good results a few times.
That's not what I'm arguing - I'm arguing that if you open the floodgates to include store reviews in this thread, the store reviews will eventually vastly outnumber the commission reviews in the main list and the commission reviews will be diluted and harder to find.

CosWorx, Amphigory, ElectriqueBoutique, CosplayMagic, MoonCostumes, etc etc - you will essentially move the thread into a place absolutely taken over by reviews of the larger companies, and my opinion is that the spirit of the thread was to provide a staging point for commission businesses (which are work-for-hire by nature) to have a good feedback area.

As the site administrator, it really doesn't matter to me in the end - playing devil's advocate here before we just develop another issue entirely.
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #779
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kitsu View Post
Kanira, would it be possible to link to a response or correction from a commissioner next to the review?
Not something I'd considered before, but certainly doable Once we get all this sorted out I will get to work on it! Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
It will dilute the effectiveness if people have to wade through 500 retail reviews before coming across the 5 reviews of a commissioner.
This is the second time this argument has been made, and I still do not see how it is in any way applicable.
I like the thought of having two separate categories in here rather than two separate threads for the reasons 4ng3l mentioned; THAT is confusing.
Having two categories--one for vendors and one for commissioners--clearly separated with people interested in one searching through one and those interested in another searching through the other, selecting the review that interests them and researching it? Not confusing.
I don't know if people honestly go through this thread page by page as they use it, but that certainly isn't the intent, and thus even a flood of 500 reviews every day will not confuse things.
I have no problem with maintaining this thread and a sister for it if that is preferred, but it would obtain that level of confusion you're arguing so adamantly against when there is a far easier alternative possible.
If anything, perhaps we should simply try having two subcategories and see what happens If the apocalypse comes, then an alternative solution can be found. And yes, I will change the title, since that is bizarrely the greatest concern on the matter.

Even if mod-meddling is discouraged, though, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could delete the first three or four reviews to keep a few editable posts on the first page and together for this venture. I can contact the reviewers in question for them to resubmit, or do it myself while listing a reference to them to avoid inconsistencies PMed Michi about it a few months back but not sure she ever received it.

...and thus ends my discertation on the thread. Eep.

edit: and updated!

Last edited by Kanira : 05-04-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #780
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

I'm still an advocate for two seperate topics so if I'm looking for a commissioner I can go to one topic and there it is or if something premade, the other topic. There are only what? 4 topics on this entire board ^.~ But as long as it works.

Mihgt as well start then. I'm posting 3 since they all have different grades (though it'd average out to an A if need be)