Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Music Chat

Unread 04-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Any XM Radio users here?

I just got one over the weekend and I'm totally hooked. The SkyFi unit is around $129 and the monthly cost is $9.95 per month for 100+ channels of great sound. Hooked it into some Klipsch computer speakers via the soundcard and the office is booming.

Anyone else addicted to this little machine?
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

I don't have it myself, I'm not in the car enough to consider it... but what made you get XM over Sirius?

Oh wait... they have home units now? Neat. :) I'm tempted because I want to get some of the Chinese programming that they have.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

The home unit was the main reason. I have also heard that XM is more financially stable than Sirius, which is good in the long run, but that info was gleaned from perusing various messageboards.

The SkiFi unit can be used in the home, car or even their new boombox addon. You need a home kit or a car kit depending on where you use it (60 bucks each), but it's cool to be able to grab the small receiver (it's super-small, maybe 2"x4"x1") and just take it out of the home adapter and put it into the car hookup. Lots of fans of the system are even starting to custom make their own setups, like walkmans or larger boombox speaker mods.
Unread 04-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Oh you know what? I have seen that set up. It looks interesting, especially the boombox addon.

I was thinking of the the Sony XM receiver where you could only attach it to your car radio with a cassette adapter but it was detachable so you could take it out of your car.

Have you found any reception problems? In your home or when you're in the car? It has to have some sort of clear line of sight to the sky right? I can probably understand if it goes out when you're in a tunnel.
Unread 04-09-2003, 10:53 PM   #5
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Not sure about the car version as I haven't installed it yet, I'm having someone else install it next week cause if I do it I'll have wires hanging everywhere.

As for the home hookup, I get perfect reception. In California the satellite is to the SE, and the antenna cord is long enough that you can wire it to the other side of a mid-sized room and have it pointing out of the window. They also have something like 1000 land-based transmitters relaying the signals everywhere, and from what I hear California is pretty wired up in that regard.

The only thing I suggest is getting a shielded stereo mini to dual RCA cable, the one provided with the home kit is a piece of crap picks up interference like mad. With a $12 shielded cable I have my whole setup sitting right next to my computer monitor with no interference whatsoever.
Unread 04-10-2003, 03:49 AM   #6
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Wow, very nice. You'll have to tell me how the car version XM works out.

This is another thing on my gadget list. Damn you. :P :D