Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 03-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
NudeCarbon

Question First Con ever

This will be my first convention that I have ever atended. I live less than a hour away so it seems like a good a time as ever to check it out. I have looked it pixs and revews from preveus years but its still kinda intimadating, and I'm just wondering what to expect so i can have a lot of fun and get some great pictures.

I'm hoping I can make it to this con, work permiting.
NudeCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Elendriel
God of Mischief

hey there! how's it going?

Yes, cons are SOOOO amazing and so much fun! It's awesome that you're getting a chance to come (if work lets you!). What costumes are you planning on bringing?

Expect: Tons of things to do, incredible people, amazing costumes, hopefully a good dealers room, and much more

A few tips to keep in mind

EAT lol. As simple as that sounds, a lot of times people either just grab a snack or don't really eat something substantial just due to time etc. So pack some stuff to go if you're staying at the hotel, and make sure you stop by the food court to get something to eat!

Drink LOTS of water, dehydration is very likely to happen at a con

Have fun! (that's the most important one )

Don't buy everything on the first day in the dealers room. space yourself out

Definitely try and see the masquerade if you can, on Saturday (tho remember you have to get in line pretty early so you can get a good seat)

if anything else comes to mind, I'll let you know!

but glad to have you

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Elendriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Serria
tea-drinker

Oh my gosh, conventions are a blast. Anime Detour was my first anime convention, the first one in like... 2004, I think? Don't be intimidated though. The people are friendly and most everyone treats it like a big party, which is basically what it is. It's more fun if you aren't shy, because you can meet great people, but I'm a little bit shy in real life myself so I can sympathize. Feel free to take pictures of cosplayers! I consider it a compliment whenever someone asks for a picture. Introduce yourself, too.

Is there anything in particular you have questions about? ^__^ I did not know what to expect my first con, I think it's something you just have to experience.
Serria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Dejana Talis

One thing to keep in mind is to *ask* people if you can take their picture. 99% of people will be happy to let you, but it's common courtesy to ask before you start shooting away. A lot of people have special character poses they'll want to do, too.
Dejana Talis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Akahime
Red Princess

I'll be my first time there too, so don't worry. You're not alone. xD
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
ffgirl_07

I've been to other conventions but this will also be my first to go to AD!
L deathnote
Nana
ffgirl_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
aka_spooky
total noob here ; )

It's basically THE BEST TIME EVER!

Last year was my first AD and I was in the same boat. I didn't know what to expect at all.

I didn't bring a costume cause I was afraid that at my age (23 at the time) everyone would think i was a BOOB if I dressed up.... BOY WAS I WRONG! Practicaly everyone was in costume. Not that I felt dumb not being dressed up I just kinda felt like I missed out on some of the fun so if you have a costume WEAR IT! for sure. : )

Also, don't stress out about being shy. I get kinda anxiety around a bunch of people I don't know and it tends to make me come off as snotty (don't really know why) so I made it a point to assume everyone would be nice and just talk to random people about how cool their costume was or whatever and guess what.... almost everyone WAS really nice. : ) So don't worry about meeting people cause it'll just kinda happen naturally.

Those are my only tips I guess. Just relax and have an AWESOME time. and if you see some crazy ladies in fancy kimono come over and introduce yourself (my mom, me and my friend michelle are dressin' in kimono for the weekend) I PROMISE We'll be nice

2007 Costumes Done:
Fuu : Samurai Champloo
Kenshin: Rouruni Kenshin
2007 Costumes .... I'd like to get done :
Nausicaa, Yuki Sohma, Kaname Chidori, Faye Valentine

In the immortal words of Gir:

I'm going to sing the Doom song......Doom de Doom doom doom.......
aka_spooky is offline   Reply With Quote