Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Akahime
Red Princess

Unhappy Quick! Everyone put their heads together!

My mom has no problem me going to AD (except maybe over the cost at the door xD), but my dad abosolutely HATES Anime! TT__TT

How should I twist my words around to convince him to let to go to AD on Saturday and Sunday? My mom will help me a bit with the 'decieving' or however you want to put it, but I need more ideas! xD I seriously want to come! There's no way I'm going to wait another year to come to AD. *nods determinedly*

Now...! Put your heads together!

So far of what I got: "It's a learning experience dad. I will learn.... *trails off*"

Yep. xD LOL That's it.

AHHH! What to do??!!!

More about my dad: Obsess with education and earning money; whatever may look nonsence and useless to him he finds that it won't help his children's future (*cough*Anime*cough*); he's a over-protective Asian parent; thinks hardly nothing of me of what I want; and mostly does things for his needs only.

Yes. The only good point of my father is that he's funny and almost kind of crazy in a way. o_0 You don't want to see him start to dance. @_@;; The only thing he likes are video games and his favorite is Street Fighters. xD Which is almost ironic to me. 0-o

Help me?
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
sylus
its a conspiricy

you could say...
its not like i'm doing drugs or getting drunk...
or
its a social life, having a good social life will improve my chances of haveing a good job in the future. what better way to learn good people skill then when there is a large mass of people in one place...

ok so my ideas arnt the best... but yah... there are worse things one could do with there time then attending an anime convention...
sylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Elendriel
God of Mischief

Here's what you could do.

Tell him, yes, this is an anime convention but besides just a "con" there are several really good aspects to it. You can attend educational panels, debates, and improve social skills! You get to make tons of new friends, meet people, what better way to have a rock on social life Like Sylus said, learning how to work with people, being around people, etc, will help you do well in your jobs

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Elendriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Serria
tea-drinker

Here's what you do: Call it a convention for embracing Japanese culture. Try not to emphasize the "anime" part of it so much... make it seem really culturally educational. XD

Ohhh, but important!! If you haven't pre-registered already, you might have to go on Friday to get a pass. I hear that they're expecting to be sold out fairly early.

Anyway, good luck with everything! I hope you can come!
Serria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Akahime
Red Princess

sylus - LOL That's what I usually tell him when I want to go somewhere. >.> But I should use that trick again!!!! *ish determinded*

CloakedSchemer - Oh yesh. That's correct. 0_0 *takes down notes* If I combine your ideas with Sylus... then maybe...!! o-0!!

Serria - *quickly jolts down more notes* xD Yes! Yes! I see!! :3 I'll take deep breaths and tell my father when he comes back from work... and when I get back from work. xD LOL

And yes, I know about that and how fast they sell, especially I seen the results of how quickly passes were brought from 2004 to 2006. 0-o It was almost... nuts. xD So I was like, I might as well come early (as possible) on Friday to buy the pass for my little sister and me, and if I could pretend that the line was LONG and I was waitng for a long time, but really was wondering around the con (xD) and then come back home before my mom starts to worry about nothing. Dx

LOL

Thanks all! :3
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Unread 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Gothic_Catboy
Bring down ze Kitty Bomb

Don't say that it's better than doing drugs or drinking... that's been used too often to be a valid arguement these days.

Besides, Anime is crack.
Unread 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
K_Valentine
I shoot people.

Tell your dad you ARE going out for drugs and alcohol. Chances are he'll drop kick you out of the house in a rage and then you'd be able to go.

Or wouldn't your mother's acknowledgement of your attending be enough? Better one parents knows and allows than neither.

Escapist Magazine anime critic: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti.../reviews/anime
K_Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

Take a look at: Anime Detour Letter to Parents. This covers the basics. Also, Anime Detour is an education convention focused around anime and Japanese culture; our premise IS education. Lastly, you are buying a 3 day registration if you are allowed to go friday why not the other 2 days because you have already paid for them; and things go on saturday and sunday that don't on friday.

Anime Detour Staff:
Tech: Main Stage Lighting
Photography
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
sylus
its a conspiricy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic_Catboy View Post
Don't say that it's better than doing drugs or drinking... that's been used too often to be a valid arguement these days.

Besides, Anime is crack.

actualy it can be an effective tool if used properly. you cant just say, its better then doing drugs, but if you say "i dont do drugs, i haven been drinking, its hanging out with people, making new friends, socilizing, nothing bad." used like that it is valid.
and even though anime is crack it has yet to be proved to be harmfull to the body... unless you include all the pin pricks one has gotten from sewing... ... ... its good crack! hehe
sylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Akahime
Red Princess

I'll die if I said that. I'll totally be disowned if I said something wrong... such as 'taking drugs and alcohol'. xP So I'll just ... *cough*

Besides, I told my mom that as long we don't tell dad about it... but we got to accept the fact that my parents are WAY over-protective of their children that they won't even let them go outside to play longer than a half hour, or if lucky, more than a hour -or won't even let friends over. xP Yes. I've been bascially only to my school and back home. There's the great and exciting story of my life. Anyways, back to the point, even if we don't tell my father, he'll find out after a couple of hours later and then when I come back home, I get more than just a lecture. You don't want to see my father angry. xP

I'll just have to tell him and convince him and annoy till no end.

Unread 03-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
aka_spooky
total noob here ; )

another option

I've read quite a few good ideas in here but here's one more....

This may or may not be useful depending on how old you are but you could point out that when you apply for college's, or jobs for that matter, they want to see extra-curricular activities. So if you are of a volunteering nature you could help out at the con or maybe even get involved with planning or something and then you could list that as an activity. If they keep you locked in the house all the time they'll actually be hurting your future applications. it makes people look kinda lazy if they don't have any activities. and the networking thing too.... lets say you help out and find out your really great at like.... organizing people or.... something.... maybe you'll meet someone else who is too and they could help you fina job in the future or something. SOOOOO many people get jobs through friends and if your parents won't let you socialize, again they're hurting your future not helping it.

meh... it's worth a shot anyway. : ) Of course if your too young then the college thing might not pack much punch yet

I wish you all the best of luck with this! I guess worst case scenario you just have to wait till you're 18 and then they can't stop you but hopefully it won't come to that.

2007 Costumes Done:
Fuu : Samurai Champloo
Kenshin: Rouruni Kenshin
2007 Costumes .... I'd like to get done :
Nausicaa, Yuki Sohma, Kaname Chidori, Faye Valentine

In the immortal words of Gir:

I'm going to sing the Doom song......Doom de Doom doom doom.......
aka_spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Lemonpez
Majel

If anything you can say you'll volunteer a lot and it counts as actual volunteer time for a job resume, which it actualy does and it's a lot of fun!

Last edited by Lemonpez : 03-15-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: forgot to say something
Lemonpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
Lemonpez
Majel

posted twice on accident, sorry, plase ignore.

Last edited by Lemonpez : 03-15-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: posted same thing twice
Lemonpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
Akahime
Red Princess

LOL Thanks for the suggestions again. But I'm 19 and already in college (Hamline University). x3 So that doesn't really work... not really. I'll just tell him as well that it's still required (by law I think) that I must still do this much volunteering hours.. that's what I heard anyways. *shrugs*

Yes, I like living with my family because it's never a dull day with them. ; )

LOL

The only problem is restrictions my dad enforces. TT__TT *dies*

*comes back to life* BUt anyways, Ill definitely tell him that it's good for networking. xD LOL And then some more if that doesn't work. If not, I'll just run out of the house with my little sister and take that scary city bus. I might just have to if I want to buy the passes before they are sold out. xD LOL