Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Bane
The Man In White

Arrow Spartans: Armor Construction Discussion

This thread is for the discussion of armor construction for those involved in the 300 cosplay. Post Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, methods, etc.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Good! What do we do about Spartan Sandals? Just as the security of the Spartan Speedo is important so are the Sandals. We are ground troops and you have to protect your feet. Question is where do we get them? I'll have to ask Kabane, since he has the offical book, for photos on the style of sandals.
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Kabane
Incognito Prop Master

Exclamation spartan sandals

Spartans!-

Looked at the reference shots in the book but the sandals are rather lacking, they are a thick leather or almost rubber sole with lacing running over the forefoot and instep and a toe loop. The lacing then double wraps over the calf to hold things up behind the leg greave. I'll try and scan and post some pics shortly. We may be able to cannibalize some boots then add the lacing in as a preliminary idea; more to follow.
Kabane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Bane
The Man In White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabane View Post
Spartans!-

Looked at the reference shots in the book but the sandals are rather lacking, they are a thick leather or almost rubber sole with lacing running over the forefoot and instep and a toe loop. The lacing then double wraps over the calf to hold things up behind the leg greave. I'll try and scan and post some pics shortly. We may be able to cannibalize some boots then add the lacing in as a preliminary idea; more to follow.
Yeah, I had the idea of maybe cutting out the proper areas of some old leather work boots to create a sandal. I don't see much reason why it wouldn't work

~Bane
Unread 03-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

Hrmmm....for the sandals...it's a totally different era, but would this tutorial be useful for at least basic sandal construction? And just use leather mats and strips instead of straw/twine? There's probably a difference in ankles as well...(yay for random knowledge)

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ghlight=waraji

And for some more armor alternatives, these might be of interest:
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html
http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/cos...helmsdeep.html

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Calvin and Hobbes

In Progress: Alice (Pumpkin Scissors)
GabrielDarkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Smithman89
WANT MOAR CON!

Well, a tiny bit off topic of 300, but its still "spartan" so i think its a valid question. I've recently bought God of War II, and i was wondering to myself if anyone does cosplay for that game. If so, what kind of materials are the blades made out of (including the arm braces that hold the chains)?

Smithman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Exclamation

Really, other than the sandals, NO 'God of War', and all of it's video game goodness, is totally off subject. Advice would be to search the photo sections of cosplay.com for god of war or cratos and see what comes up. You will find what you need.

Sandals seems to be something that will take some time to develop. I'm patient because you can't rush perfection.
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Bane
The Man In White

yeah, it's not like we're really pressed for time, we have plenty of time to work out the construction of everything. It's really a blessing
Unread 03-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Kabane
Incognito Prop Master

Shields

To keep this thread going and since our posts are blotting out the sun in the other main thread I thought I'd share my cogitations on the shields here even though we're talking about them there too.

Anyone not using a pre-rounded shape (like Lion of Sparta's idea) will have to make a shield boss to form fiberglass around. Be wary of bondo-ing on a sled since unless coated with resin or reinforced with a glass mat the bondo will chip off in anything thicker than 1/2" and the raised portion of the shield is exactly that.

My intent is to make a boss outta pink insulation foam since the depth of the convex in the shield is 5" (think the height difference between the bottom lip and highest point). The lip and overall thickness of the shield is 1/2" and overall diameter according to the production sketch is 2' 7 3/4" or 31 3/4". I'm going to trace it out and see how close to the hip to neck ratio it gets. We'll also need to attach a sturdy frame behind the shell to accomodate the arm guard and grip See ref pic here:

I already posted it in the main thread but since thats getting so massive I think the divisions will keep things separate and easier to find.

All for now
Kabane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Check this out! featherweight is back at it again!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1027926

awesome
Unread 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
reannaremick

Honestly I think it would be far less time consuming to find some cheap sandals, cut off whatever is on them but the sole and then hand stitch down leather/pleather strapping. Then it's just a matter of lacing them up the leg. That's what I'm planning to do, once I get mine done I can probably make some for the guys as well if it works out.

@fightstar, yeah I commissioned 2 of the spartan swords from him ^_^ I can't wait, he does such amazing work.

Last edited by reannaremick : 03-30-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
reannaremick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

I found one of those round snow sleds on ebay for around $20, so I think I'll go with that method and see how it turns out

Reannaremick: I like that idea for the sandals, I think the hardest part is figuring out what to use for the sole, the rest is easy ^^
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

With the sandals you have to be careful. Whatever you use you will probably have to march in them as well as walk around for the greater part of the day. I know when I used those tabi boots for my Cobra Ninja they where great, but you REALLY feel the concrete going from hotel to hotel. That's my $0.02 for you all.
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
ArcaneKani

Well, the shield size is probably the most important thing(aside from the cape) that needs to be as close to uniform as possible in terms of dimensions. Let's try to make sure we find a method of construction that everyone can adopt. The snow sled doesn't seem like a bad idea, but would it be too deep? Does anyone know the depth of the shield from the middle?
Unread 03-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

I hate to hijack from my main man Arcankani here, but at your leisure Spartans take a look at these vambrace here. I'm in no rush to buy these, but tell me what you think.