Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #196
artisticpsyco
Cosplay senses tingling..

o.0 I somehow got most of that. I think I'll try some thin but sturdy pieces of wood seeing that the width of most of the pieces are as thick as or thiner than her index finger (except for the hilt/grip/whatever.) If that doesn't work, I'll just use foamboard :P

I think I'm definately going to have my dad help me get everything to swivel correctly though O.OU

Hopefully I'll get this done before winter break, mabey not painted by then but oh well.

But OMG!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! 8O I think I would've DIED without your help! Heehee, btw, I can't think and type at the same time either lol so I type slooooooow XD

*is off to make a balsa wood mini replica* :P tee~hee...

Unread 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #197
A19Riku

im glad it made sense lol ya for the handle i would just use layers of wood glued together i know for mine i layered the foam board in many areas to where i ended up with i think 7 layers at the max but i think the handle was only 5 to where the handle was about 2 inches in width

but ya good luck with the swiveling oh and i might recommend the layering effect especially on the sword part bc there are different layers on her sword i think i have pics of the layers of mine in my gallerly but ya they look really nice and so much more professional layered than just flat

but ya good luck on getting it done by winter break it took me a week of work including painting but yours will probably take quite a bit longer due to the fact its wood and the changing factor but i think you could get it done by then without a problem

btw if for some reason you do have to ues foamboard (which i suggest getting at the dollar store) you can always fiber glass or use resin to make the final prop more durable even though layers of foam are quite durable

mine made it through being shipped to rosabella by ups (with only the tip getting broken BC DARN UPS ONLY USED PACKING PEANUTS!!) but ya considering the facts of how badly mail gets treated and that was the only battle wound that really really good and also it made it on a plane to anime expo and back without any damage and i didnt ues resin on it so ya foamboard is a lot more durable than most think

anywho good luck i cant wait to see this thing

Conventions 2010: Con Nooga, MTAC, Dragoncon?, AWA
A19Riku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #198
rosabella
Avert not Thine Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticpsyco View Post

And how do you keep her red bag on your hips? I made a mock-up of one so I wouldn't mess up, but I can't get it to stay in place. And scince the largest red strap goes over her normal belt, I can't really use that to keep it up.
I just added belt loops on my skirt to the side that the red bag belt is on.
Whenever it comes, whatever the future holds for each one of us, we can always go back to these days and look back fondly. Even if we are far apart, we can dream of this one moment in time we spent together.
rosabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #199
artisticpsyco

@ rosabella: Awsome, thanks for the answer! X3

@ A19Riku: Thanks again for your help! Btw, your sword looks amazing :O

I'll be sure to post when I finish so anyone who wants to can see how it all turned out.
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #200
finally_akon
Copy/Paste Productions

I was gonna make mine switch out too but all that sounds extremely complicated >.<; ! i was just hoping to sort of make the barrel [*hint* can't spell!], or the two metal plates on the side, a little longer and shorten up my blade a bit i could either have a lock switch @ the pivot point. [i don't knwo where i'm gonna find someone who can manage this T^T] or i can have a lock switch and have the release point at the end of the blade where it hooks. Either way if i can find someone to do this, it SHOULD...in theory...work. Or is my mechanics all messed up? OH! i did find a video that shows it switching...kinda bad quality and goes by sorta quickly but here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3cQunZz4o . It shows it within the 1st 20 seconds of the clip so u don't have to watch the whole thing. And if anyone can help an uber noob on mechanics plz PM me! i need all the help i can get! Many thanks! and sorry that i didn't understand your probably perfectly explained explination A19Riku, this is gonna be my first weapon.
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #201
finally_akon
Copy/Paste Productions

i had an epifany last night and i thought...i wouldn't have to shorten or lengthen anything if i made it come out from the top instead of the bottom [i was afraid of getting too close to the trigger]. I know that it actually changes in some uber complex way but i have to realize that this is my 1st prop to make and need to be a little more realistic.

--rosabella-- personally i think your crazy trying to do both wedding ashe and lightning [i had a hard enough time w/ just regular ashe!], but when you do pull it off, [i'm positive you can!], i want to see pics of them! i wanted to do wedding ashe too but provided the more exuberant details i backed down.

and if someone can give me a link to y'alls gathering i'd love to see it! ...i just don't want to look through 6 different galleries and find them on the last gallery, last page! all help is appreciated greatly!

P.S. if anyone can give me a link to a good, close side view of her gun i would be forever grateful!

Last edited by finally_akon : 09-18-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: addition
finally_akon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #202
artisticpsyco

I actually downloaded a video of the weapon switch and saved all the shots of it as seen below. However, I couldnt fit all of them, so I hope it's okay if I post right after....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0001.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0002.jpg (23.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0003.jpg (22.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0004.jpg (21.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0005.jpg (22.3 KB, 0 views)
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #203
artisticpsyco

The rest are at the bottom.

I'm in the process of working it all out sketch by sketch, but I'm still having problems with figuring out how to lock everything into place and triggering the switch. Other than that, after studying the screenshots, I have most of the mechanics worked out.

finally akon: too bad we didn't live closer, otherwise we could work on it together D: It'd probably so much quicker/easier that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0006.jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0007.jpg (22.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0008.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0009.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ff13 lightning 003_0010.jpg (18.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by artisticpsyco : 09-18-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling errors :P
artisticpsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #204
finally_akon
Copy/Paste Productions

oh that would make my life far too convinient which = would never happen . So do u mean to tell me u can get it to switch like that!?!?! if so please tell me your method! i so wish we could work on it together! my friends think i'm crazy doing another complicated costume [i did ffXII ashe *dies*] @ least this clothing design makes sense!
we should keep in touch on our progress! i know i won't be starting mine too terribly soon T^T ...i'm sick with mono and trying to keep up in school is a priority!

Last edited by finally_akon : 09-18-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
finally_akon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 11:39 PM   #205
artisticpsyco

:O Get better soon!!! (Soon as in now lol :3) I don't think I'll be able to start mine until at least the end of the week...hopefully >.o But I like the idea of keeping in touch on progress X3

As for my method (as of yet, lol) I don't know for sure if this'll work or not, but I'm gunna try:

For the silver pieces on the outside, I'm gunna make those be able to swivel 120 degrees (aka in a half circle) and then have them interlock each time they close (with the silver piece next to the circle thing by the handle going inbetween the other two when it becomes a sword.)

With the blade I'm going to cut the square black piece (in the 8th screenshot I posted), so that the blade can slide around it so that it can flip back an forth (scince the blade's basically backwards when its a gun.)

And so I don't keep poking myself with the blade tip, I'm gunna make the silver piece that's by the circle thing close around the blade. If anything confused you or you have another question, feel free to ask ^_^
Unread 09-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #206
crash_override
Super Ninja Girl

Quote:
The rest are at the bottom.

I'm in the process of working it all out sketch by sketch, but I'm still having problems with figuring out how to lock everything into place and triggering the switch. Other than that, after studying the screenshots, I have most of the mechanics worked out.

finally akon: too bad we didn't live closer, otherwise we could work on it together D: It'd probably so much quicker/easier that way.
thanks so much for sharing those shots, they help an awful lot! how did you get it to change? that sounds like intense smarts and engineering ><
- Lal Mirch OR Bianchi (Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn!)
- Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)
- Taiwan OR Seychelles (Axis Powers Hetalia)
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #207
finally_akon
Copy/Paste Productions

i wish i could get better now! i've been at home for the past 4 weeks! and i still am not released from my doctor >.< ! That sounds amazingly complicated and like crash override said earlier must take some smarts and real engineering skills! i bet if u start yours by the end of this week and i don't start mine for another week, we might finish at the same time! aka, mine is a lot less complicated! of course i can't do the springy part myself so i have to find someone to help me on it [do it for me! me + tools = bad things happen] but judging from the rest of the stuff your stuff, artisticpsyco, i have no doubt you can pull this amazing stunt off! Best of luck, and if i can ever figure out how to put more photos on here i'll put up progression shots...only on the gunblade though XD. i don't like progression shots T~T .
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #208
artisticpsyco

crash override: No problem! I'm glad they helped ^_^ I'm still trying to work out all the kinks of having switch though...heehee...instead of math ^_^'

finally akon: 4 weeks?!??! :O The longest I've ever been sick was like...4 days O.o' Yea, I don't think I can do the springy part by myself either, I'll just have my dad help me ^_^ same with cutting the wood pieces ._. me+wood+sawblade= bad!!!

And good luck to you both too!!! I'll try to post progress shots too, lol.
Unread 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #209
finally_akon
Copy/Paste Productions

4 weeks and counting ! i have mine all figured out pretty much...thank goodness! but i think that's amazing that you have yours figured out too! you should put up a slow motion video on youtube of it switching! i'd fav it XD ! btw, do you think this would be a good wig to use for lightning? http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?p...at=2449&page=1 i think it'd be good in either normal strawberry blonde or the strawberry blonde/dark brown . what do you think?
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:21 AM   #210
crash_override
Super Ninja Girl

Quote:
crash override: No problem! I'm glad they helped ^_^ I'm still trying to work out all the kinks of having switch though...heehee...instead of math ^_^'

ahhh nice, i like that xD
i suck with crafting something as complicated as lightning's gunblade. booo! but being able to have it switch mechanisms would be awesome. i can't wait to see it xD
- Lal Mirch OR Bianchi (Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn!)
- Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)
- Taiwan OR Seychelles (Axis Powers Hetalia)
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote