Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-19-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Cool ghetto cosplay contest update

I'm sure there's something else I could be doing . . . err . . . but I've been working a bit on the contest. I updated the temp page in several places, and added a draft judging form - http://www.exitrance.com/exitrance/v...aycontest.html . I have a few questions for people.

1) Contest date. I randomly picked two possible weekends (Sat and Sun) - Sept. 14 and 15, and Oct 12 and 13. I believe both of these dates fall AFTER a con, and not near any important holidays, etc. If people have any feelings, or other date suggestions, throw it at me. The Sept. dates *may* be too soon, since we have to get judging straightened out.

2) Judges. First off, I need people who want to judge to post or PM me their emails, please. I may ask you guys to do a short profile of yourself, how long you've been cosplaying, etc, just cause I think it'd be nice to have that on the page for the contest.

3) Also judging related - is anybody good with statistics etc and can help me figure out how to calculate scores? I'm at a loss about that bit . . . oO;;;

Anyway, if anybody's noticed I overlooked something, whatever, go ahead and yell at me. ^^

Unread 08-20-2002, 08:57 AM   #2
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Oct 12 and 13.

Anime USA I believe. So I will be unavailable.

> how long you've been cosplaying, etc, just cause I think it'd be nice to have that on the page for the contest.

How about adding "the ghettoest costume you've ever worn" in the profile?

> 3) Also judging related - is anybody good with statistics etc and can help me figure out how to calculate scores?

I'm an engineer, I'm used to numbers, I can help.
Unread 08-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

> Anime USA I believe. So I will be unavailable.

D'oh! I'm calendar challenged. Actually, I think the only thing I'm NOT challenged at is getting my blood drawn. Oh and watching anime . . .

> How about adding "the ghettoest costume you've ever worn" in the profile?

Yes, absolutely. ^^

> I'm an engineer, I'm used to numbers, I can help.

Ooh good. *worships engineerness*
Unread 08-20-2002, 12:34 PM   #4
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Actually, I think the only thing I'm NOT challenged at is getting my blood drawn.

Then be happy, /I/ am challenged at THAT.

I /hate/ needes, seringes, and all those pointy metallic things. Which is why I hide when the blood drive is nearby. >__> The size of those seringes creep me out.

Speaking of which, I almost went into medicine/surgery before ending up in engineering. Which means that I mind when the business end of the seringe is pointed my way, but have no qualms about sticking it in others.

HO HO HO~~~~~~~~~! <- Naga laugh.

> Yes, absolutely. ^^

I already know which is my ghettoest costume... >__<
We all have a costume or two (or three or four or five) we would rather see disappear from everyone's memory...
Unread 08-20-2002, 12:57 PM   #5
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Oct 12 and 13... That's before Anime Next right? I think I can swing that.
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 09:16 PM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

I think I'm going to have to move that date . . . I guess I'll look up con schedules. It may have to be November, what with Halloween.

It was also suggested to me that we not give people characters requiring really skimpy outfits, since some would not be comfortable with it. This is a very good point, I think. I'd already thought about it some, and I think the way it will work is - the character list is going to be generated by the judges, so that the contestants don't know the character pool. We're just gonna brainstorm characters, and then eliminate some for being too hard, too skimpy, or too plain. Since, for example, ghetto Shinji would be, well, Shinji. And ghetto Mai would probably just be indecent. oO Does this sound like it would work? It's more work for the judges, I know, but I'm not going to be judging; just organizing; getting the pics up, tallying the judging sheets, etc. So I'll do a fair amount of the character list work too, so as not to overburden the judges, lol. You can do as much as you want, though.

> Then be happy, /I/ am challenged at THAT.

It was kind of non-optional, lol. When they do my blood, they've often taken a LOT (like five of those little vials). And I've had IVs, and all sorts of fun things involving needles . . . *sigh* lol but, regardless, it doesn't bother me much. Which is good.

> HO HO HO~~~~~~~~~! <- Naga laugh.

lol. Though, having heard Maria-sensei do it, I think it's O-HO HO HO! Or something to that effect. ^^
Unread 08-20-2002, 09:22 PM   #7
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Though, having heard Maria-sensei do it, I think it's O-HO HO HO! Or something to that effect. ^^

OK I admit it, I can't do the Naga laugh!

I can seriously do a terrifying rendition of Zoisite's North American laugh... yes The Laugh (TM)... and I love to do it very loud when I wear my anime Zoisite costume. ^___^
Unread 08-20-2002, 09:36 PM   #8
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

> OK I admit it, I can't do the Naga laugh!

Neither can I, lol. Well, I haven't really tried very hard . . . but I can't do it in front of people, that's for sure! lol. ^^;

> I can seriously do a terrifying rendition of Zoisite's North American laugh... yes The Laugh (TM)... and I love to do it very loud when I wear my anime Zoisite costume. ^___^

. . . okay, I'll come clean! I haven't seen any Sailor Moon. Unless you count that one time in . . . the Hong Kong airport I think it was, when I saw about 15 minutes . . . *hides under desk*
Unread 08-20-2002, 09:45 PM   #9
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

November would be way better. Then I can have enough time to get my friends together and see if they want to enter ^-^

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 10:06 PM   #10
Neko Cathy

Aw man... If I could go and enter in the contest, I would probably win with my Rikku costume that bombed for Otakon! I used knee-high socks, sew green ribbons and wore my church shoes for boots, I cut up the ends of the pant legs of my khaki olive green shorts, had this fake looking orange tanktop that I boght at Kohls and from my dad's medical fire department bag.... a soft wrist splint for her weapon thingy with coat hanger hooks sticking out from the knuckles to make it look like it has claws. I came close to making her glove out of paper brown bag.

OMG...I would have been a gigantic walking disgrace to all of the Final Fantasy cosplayers if I really did showed up in the Baltimore convention in that crap! My friends were so embarassed and pleaded that I didn't stick my butt and foot in the convention center wearing my crappy costume or I was going to be beaten up by the FF cosplayers. LOL!

I suck at making costumes and my Otakon group members nicknamed me "Ghetto Rikku" because of the crappy materials I have gathered and tried to put together. But I have Rikku's body (including a very nice tan), hair and eyes . The only thing that wasn't so ghetto was the blue ribbons Rikku wore on her back.. in fact it was expensive material, not even ribbons.
Neko Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 10:23 PM   #11
KuroBara
dog of the military

>. . . okay, I'll come clean! I haven't seen any Sailor Moon. Unless you count that one time in . . . the Hong Kong airport I think it was, when I saw about 15 minutes . . . *hides under desk*

0_0...AYAKA?!?! How can that be? I thought every female anime addict started on a healthy diet of Dic-dubbed Sailor Moon, lol! ^_^
Unread 08-20-2002, 10:59 PM   #12
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I thought every female anime addict started on a healthy diet of Dic-dubbed Sailor Moon

And doesn't it seem like almost everyone starts out with a Sailor Moon cosplay? LOL And I can't even claim to be an exception!

My first anime was Captain Harlock though... or was it AstroBoy? I was 4 or so at the time... ^_______^
Unread 08-20-2002, 11:20 PM   #13
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

Can't help it. My first anime was Speed Racer series wise, but Unico the Unicorn was my first ever real anime.

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 11:26 PM   #14
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

On the topic of the contest (lol off topicness is cool!) - Let's do November. It'll be much more organized by then, it'll go better. ^^ (The costumes will be ghetto, but I don't want the running of it to be.)

Neko Cathy - PLEASE tell me you have pictures of that! XD And you're gonna have to enter . . . I'm gonna make you . . . muahahah.

On the topic of Sailor Moon - Yes, I KNOW! Nearly every female anime fan I've ever talked to started out with Sailor Moon, or if not, MKR. I'm not 100% sure what I saw first, knowing it was anime (important distinction) . . . mm, it was probably Evangelion, actually. Eva or Tenchi Muyo in Love 1. The Kodocha, when I figured out exactly how on crack the whole thing was. Then Bebop, Lain . . . and then I started getting stuff myself, started out with the Tenchi OAV, Aa! Megami-sama, and Urusei Yatsura, and some random oldish stuff (They Were 11, Zillion, Dirty Pair, etc). The reason it happened that way is, my anime sensei was a 15 year old boy (though not the DBZ type). He ranted long and endlessly about how terrible CLAMP was, and naive fan I was, I believed him for some time, lol. Even though he was doing fansub distro to the 11 year old boys who had this weird obsession with MKR . . . heh. But anyway, he picked what he thought I'd like (being the most hardcore of his small following of converts). And, I think he was fairly accurate; I'm still not much of a CLAMP fan, though I do respect their work. lol. So you can blame him that I saw nothing but shonen or crossover stuff for the first few years of my fandom. ^^ This is the same guy who was so ticked I was cosplaying, and WK, no less . . . lol. I think he was wondering where I went awry! Wait until he sees me NEXT YEAR. *evil laughter* He better not mess with me too much, though, anime sensei #1 or not; I have pictures of him a) dressed as a rather ghetto Hotohori; and b) getting his @$$ spanked by Sailor Bubba. I am NOT afraid to distribute them widely. XD

But. Anyway. My fandom has been almost entirely lacking in the fan standards. I've still only seen *very* little of Ranma; same with Fushigi Yuugi (too many box sets I want!). I am, however, better versed in obscure 80s and early 90s-ness than most people. ^^ (The one dealer who carries a lot of rare artbooks and shitajiki has noted this, lol.)

Wow . . . this turned into a long ramble . . . oO;;; Gomen!
Unread 08-20-2002, 11:56 PM   #15
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

*totally pointless post* Aaak, that is -so- great XD

Since I'm not attending a con until next A-kon, I don't have any calendar problems. So I have nothing to contribute there.

I have never even -entered- any kind of costume contest, so I am clueless on judging/scoring calculation type stuff.

But...I'm definitely going to have to enter ;3

Random note...haha. My first introduction to anime was Pokemon! Bite that. Team Rocket is the greatest! And then some friends of mine were passing around the Ranma manga and I read some of that, and Ranma was my next discovery. Somehow I magically then started watching a lot of random stuff o_O;

I have still never seen a full episode of Sailor Moon. Since the only Sailor Moon available to me with no effort is the dub on TV, I am HAPPY for that x_@