Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gundam

Unread 04-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Kaahi
Materia Lanlord

Gundam Suit Guides?

Hello,

I am interested in doing a Gundam cosplay of either the RX-78-2 or the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II, and perhaps one day upgrading to a more difficult model, like the GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir.

HOWEVER, I have never done a lick of hard-armour craft in my entire life. I was wondering if there is a guide out there that could help me specifically with Gundam mobile suits, or full-body armour in general. I have also never worked with wonderflex but have had it recommended to me in the past--just wondering how it is to work with. Is it moldable? Hot? Will there be annoying bumps in it if I suck at sculpting? Is it breakable?

A cardboard guide is preferable as well, but if there is a better way to go about this, that would also be wonderful. In-depth wonderflex guides are fine as well.

Any help is appreciated!

*runs away*

Last edited by Kaahi : 04-02-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Kaahi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
SoulReaper898

I was wondering too, how do you make that?
SoulReaper898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Kaahi
Materia Lanlord

If it helps anyone else who's curious, I found this Wonderflex FAQ.

I might order some Wonderflex, but I'm not sure if I could finish a full Mobile Suit on time for Otakon 07.

*runs away*
Kaahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
PlasmaFire
Graphite Wielder

Hello Kaahi! I'm in the same position here: never had any armoring experience before, or for that matter, mecha cosplay building--only drawing them. I want to be able to build either an RX-78-2 as you are, or the ARX-7 Arbalest from FMP in time for Setsucon 2008 (Penn State's awesome little con). I realized that being about 5'7" isn't going to help much, even with platform soles, since my head's fairly large compared to my shoulders.

Some methods I've thought about are the heatshaped vinyl-over-foam method and the usual foamboard/cardboard/posterboard. Not a rush...the 2008 deadline is merely a guide for me. Otakon 2008 would be a good limit, though.
PlasmaFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
PlasmaFire
Graphite Wielder

Hello Kaahi! I'm in the same situation as you are: having a desire to build a mecha suit, but having no experience to back it all up. And wow...that Strike Noir image looks amazing. I want to make an RX-78-2 as you are, or an ARX-7 Arbalest from FMP, as they're relatively simple compared to some of the more-ridiculous (but still impressive) costumes. Yeah, like the Freedom Gundam that Goldy made. Very stunning.

Anyway, I looked up some methods to making them; the Vinyl Over Foam Tutorial way seems much better and cleaner compared to the cardboard/foamboard/posterboard method; not very hard to get materials nor to put everything together. Able to be heat-shaped, it seems that curves can be easier to make as well, a definite plus if I want to build the Arbalest instead.

Now the problem for me is proportions. I'm 5'7", and my head's relatively large compared to my shoulders; I know that staying true to proportions is out of the question, but just how far should I go? Build platform soles, or omit them? Widen the shoulders? Put my head in the torso instead of the mecha's "head"? Hmm...

There's no rush for this, though. Hopefully, this can be finished by Setsucon 2008 in January (Penn State's awesome little convention), but Otakon 2008 seems reasonable as well.
PlasmaFire is offline   Reply With Quote