Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Takuya_Havok
Synthetic rose.

How to style Demyx wig/styling Axel hair with real hair?

Wow, it's been a while since I made a thread. XD Anyway, I just got a wig that I'm going to style into Demyx, but the only problem is I have no idea on how to do it. It looks exactly like a Punky wig from Cosworx, I'll get pictures soon. Also, a friend of mine wants to style her hair like Axel's, but she needs help on how to do it. Will get pictures of her soon. (Nickle4APickle, yes, I mean YOU!) I've searched before, and all I have found is wigs reccomended for Demyx. Any Demy cosplayers want to share tips on wig-styling? Please?
Takuya_Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
[Toshi.Muffin]

I've never done a Demyx wig, but i guess cutting a few layers shorter than everything and then spikeing it with glue would work. o - o;; Don't slap me. I suck at explaining. >.<;
Unread 04-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Keep in mind that Demyx has a mullet, and you'll do fine.

Also it'd be WAY cheaper and easier to get a wig for Axel, as like most of the Org members, his hair is near impossible to achieve in real life.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
NetBelleAnie
Lazy Ass

As I've done Demyx for myself, I've found the Spike wig from Amphigory (Rod from the Lacey wig line) or similar works well. Spike the mowhawk, keepig it as wide as your head, and spray the rest flat against the head for the shaved side look. With the back of the mullet, just put some spray on it and let it dry facing up so the hair spikes back.
The Punky wig will work for Demyx, using a dark blond/light brown color, but keep in mind that it is to long at that length, both spiking the bits up and the extra mullet hanging down, so the wig will need cutting so the hair, when in the mowhawk, is about 2 inches long, and at the back the hair should reach your collarbone, so about 3-4 inches.
The Spike wig is ideal length I've found though it runs a little on the small side so you'll have to use a lot of pins in the front to keep it from slipping back. Also, if using the Spike wig, his banges will have to be added. Iif you can figure out how to, detatch a weft of longer hair from the back of the wig where the hair is longer (use a seam ripper and CAREFULLY rip the stitches sewing the weft of hair to the mesh), and then sew it back on the front of the wig just inside the hairline.

Edit: also, for Axel's hair, my friend Tenshiryuu uses her own hair, having another friend style it one spike at a time with hairspray and a blowdryer, and the process takes an hour.

Last edited by NetBelleAnie : 04-05-2007 at 02:42 PM.
NetBelleAnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
RiniKun

I'm cosplaying as Demyx this year and I say that is it quite helpful ^^
~Rini
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
ember329

I have a question.How long must be your hair to style it like Demyx's?
Deep Dive Riku
Halloween Town Sora
ember329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

About three inches on the top and sides, I'd say? A bit longer in the back.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
pmastamonkmonk
BOOM. Headshot.

Whenever I see a Demyx, I pull a Ghey Mustang.

"I like your hair, the business in the front with the party in the back, I like it,"

Axel's hair, if you're going for more than one use... get a wig. Srsly. Wigs are easier to upkeep and stuff... ^^; It also keeps your pictures standard, you don't have separate hair styles in each of them from con to con. It also helps with color

IMO, Wigs > real hair unless the character has naturally colored hair in a normal style
pmastamonkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
miharu1602

I made the Demyx hair with my real hair :3 You just need lots of strong styling gel^^ It's really not that hard.

I also styled my hair to look like Axel, with nothing else than some cheap hairspray, but it turned out okay^^ I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to show you (I'm one lazy bastard and didn't take any -.-)
miharu1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
souzousei_kaish

XD I'm cutting my hair like his! How long do you think it'll take someone with 1/4th inch of hair to get it to 3 inches? @.@
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
Fashwiing
picks on blond bartenders

Shouldn't be too hard to do Demyx's hair with real hair, I've seen it done. 'Cept he wasn't cosplaying, and he was the store manager for a Dunkin' Doughnuts. But it was awesome. It's basically a Mullhawk. A Mohawked mullet.

I'm such a hypocrite... I have my own hair problems and I'm telling other people how to do theirs.

Cons I plan on attending:
Newcon 2013
ALA 2014
Sakuracon 2014
Fanime 2014
Kumoricon 2014

Am I the only one who thinks just living is sad?
Fashwiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #12
Mittenkitten
Feels like a winner!

A friend of mine managed to do Axel with her real hair, but according to her it wasn't really worth it. She permanently dyed her hair bright red and it took the best part of three hours with three people working at it to get it to the right shape. It did hold up for the con though. ^^

Couldn't find any pictures of her on her own, but she's the Axel in the first pic, and the Axel on the right in the second.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSC_0054.jpg
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSC_0062.jpg

The Demyx (another girl I know) was just a Punky that was trimmed a little.
Mittenkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #13
souzousei_kaish

I talked to a hair person, and it'll take six months. Just in time for Fanime....
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

Yeah, you're much better off with a wig for Axel unless you're willing to do something permanent to your hair. As with many of these anime styles, you really do need alot of hair to pull it off, so I'd recommend your friend gets a wig for Axel unless she has very long, very thick hair.
Unread 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
berryberryrose

Reviving an old thread, sorry. :x

Amphigory's Spike wig is a very nice Demyx wig and it was my first. :3 It's very easy to style and sew in the front pieces. The one I purchased is a bit too dark for my taste, though. Regardless, it's a really convincing Demyx wig and one of my favorites. Far nicer than anything I've seen made with a Punky.

However, I'm planning on selling my Spike, as I've just purchased Caught In The Middle from wigs-us, in a 24 blend. : D
I had to color mine with brown and marigold sharpies to get an accurate color and it's really looking nice so far.

The style is perfect for Dem - but the wig is thin at the sides and the hawk is ratted, so you'll need to buy some extra wefts or take them from another 24-color wig, to sew in the front pieces.

Unlike Spike, Caught In The Middle has a fauxhawk style that goes all the way down to the nape of the neck, which is accurate to Demyx. It's also thin on the sides so it gives the appearance of Dem's, eh, unique look and has bendable metal at the earpieces so it curves to your head. (It also has little sideburn pieces which I love.)
You may or may not want to add another weft towards the bottom to make it more of a mullet, I think it's just personal preference. :3

Buuut yeah, that's my Demyx experience. Hope it can help~

EDIT: After some experience, yeah, I really recommend sewing wefts to the back to make it more of a mullet. I just took a weft out of my Namine wig, dyed it with FW and cut it into pieces to sew in with some leftover wefts from the front pieces I did. :3

I posted on the second page, but here's a link to photos:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/120643/p2

Last edited by berryberryrose : 08-17-2008 at 01:24 PM.