Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
TR Rose
Meowing About

Sewing question - Peach's dress "puffs"?

I'm working on this costume (pics attached), and I don't know how to sew the "puffs" at the top of the skirt. I'm not even sure what they're called!

I had tried sewing them as one long, full piece of fabric with gathers at the middle and either end. Since I couldn't find any matching fabric for the bottom ruffle, I decided that I needed to redo it anyway. Might as well do it the right way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for sewing these correctly? Or even tell me what they're called?

Thanks!
10th Doctor

Last edited by TR Rose : 05-06-2008 at 11:20 AM.
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
IzumiContraband
It's body temperature-nya

These "puffs" almost look like a sash or an overskirt to me! I have no idea what they're called.
I would sew it as a lined overskirt-type-of-thing that starts as a point on either end and becomes fuller in the middle. If it's full enough, it should drape correctly, I would think. When laid flat, it would make a semi-ellipse. I'd baste it into the top of the actual skirt, and then just consider it part of the skirt for the rest of the project.
Does that make any sense? This is just my idea. Sometimes, my misguided sewing alterations turn out very wrong. ^///^
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
TR Rose
Meowing About

They did look okay the way I made them originally. I was just wondering if there was an official or correct method of sewing them. I can improvise pretty well, but if there's a "right way"...
Thanks for the feedback, anyone else have any tips?
10th Doctor
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
sweetvenus
Photographer

I believe it's called a peplum, if that helps at all. I have no idea of a "right way" to sew it, however.

Jessica Winn Photography
www.jessicawinn.net
sweetvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

Wow. Thats odd. Im working on the same outfit as yours. Except Im making Perry the umbrella, and crown from wonderflex and the main jewel.

The puff thingee is more of a drape. My friend SailorKnightWing did a Daisy and used a pannier pattern but you wont need that since its really heavy (made one myself, and trust me, you don't need it). Im just putting the dress together right now but what I am planning to do (don't know if this will work but I saw) is make it more like a pillow. Sew the two sides inside out, leave an opening to put stuffing, stuff it, then adjust whats needed. Im not sure if Im right about this or not but I saw it done on a Cinderella pattern for kids. Same drape pattern, just for Cinderella.

If you have a better idea on this or need advice PM me. I have actually been reading some of your threads about on your website on how to do my Peach. ^^
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
TR Rose
Meowing About

I looked up "peplum", but I can't find any tips on sewing one. I had originally thought about doing them as pillows but there's one problem: I'm using a sheer fabric for the accents on the costume (the puffs, the ruffle, and around the collar/sleeves - it's actually a more elaborate version of the costume).

Is the piece shaped like a crescent? I was thinking to cut one crescent-shaped piece for each side, maybe double-layering them for fullness.
10th Doctor
Unread 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
vampirate

I've got plans for Daisy cosplay and my plan is just to pick up a Cinderella costume pattern to figure out those crazy things.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

I was looking at the Cinderella pattern and thats how they did it, according to a kids version and it looked like Princess Peach's. They didn't have it in an adults though so you will have to make your own. Looked through Mcalls, Butterick, and Simplicity.

As far as the cresent shape, its not needed. I thought so at first but after looking through other pictures and playing Super Princess Peach its not really. But I can test it out on some muslim to see if it works.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I have seen them called panniers or "side bustles". You may actually consider looking at bustle construction on how to do them, but unfortunately I've never made one myself.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thats horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, its nothing. Its just bibble-babble. Its like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

Simplicity 5041 has a similar component to the dress there. Adjust s needed to the pattern of course, but it looks like it could solve your problem.
Mimette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
TR Rose
Meowing About

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Now I finally know what it is I'm looking for, it shouldn't be quite so difficult. ^_^
10th Doctor