Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
zib_redlektab

Hmm. What if I had a layer of plywood in the center of the keyblade, and used the foam to add thickness? It'd be stabler then, right? I just don't want it to be too heavy, since it's supposed to be something like 4ft long...Wouldn't the plaster wrap and vinyl spackel protect it from breakage, or are they not as strong as I think they are?
zib_redlektab is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2007, 12:49 AM   #17
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zib_redlektab View Post
Hmm. What if I had a layer of plywood in the center of the keyblade, and used the foam to add thickness? It'd be stabler then, right? I just don't want it to be too heavy, since it's supposed to be something like 4ft long...Wouldn't the plaster wrap and vinyl spackel protect it from breakage, or are they not as strong as I think they are?

That would be way more trouble than what it's worth- a smaller prop is likely to take more abuse than a bigger one, and even if the middle is wood, the foam on the outside will still take abuse. If you want to try it, that's fine- but my suggestion for you is to use a light pine wood for the whole thing. There are woods that are plenty light enough to make that whole keyblade out of, and keep the project light.

But I've only built one keyblade, and it was a VERY different shape than the one you're looking to build, for which I would use an entirely different tactic. There's a huge keyblade thread in this same forum, on the first page- the people there should have some techniques listed that will work well for your project.

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

D-holla-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #18
zib_redlektab

Yup, I asked there first and they recommended foam and pointed me over here :P Well I'm going to Home Depot today, I'll check out wood weights and stuff.
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #19
zib_redlektab

Update: I have da stuff, but can a jigsaw cut the foam properly?
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Ekaiyo

Abotu how long did it take you to make the Sitar?
Ekaiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
Ekaiyo

*About
Unread 04-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #22
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zib_redlektab View Post
Update: I have da stuff, but can a jigsaw cut the foam properly?
You'll have to be incredibly careful! I would recommend using the jigsaw for the rough cut, and doing the rest by hand. That way you'll be SURE not to cut off too much. Not cutting off enough is easy to fix, but cutting off too much will result in lots of tedious work to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaiyo View Post
Abotu how long did it take you to make the Sitar?
It took from the beginning of January till almost midway through March, working on the weekday evenings, mostly. About two months of straight work if you put in the time every day!

In Progress:

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
Ekaiyo

Okay thank you
Unread 05-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #24
Kiri Akurei
:B

Hi! Can I ask you to please look at THIS thread? Its about Demyx's sitar... I need some help figuring out how to make it, since I have no more than 20 days to make it in. xD So, all the information about my ideas and such are there, but any advise or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you VERY much!!

COSPLAYS FOR ANIMAZEMENT 2012
stuff
Kiri Akurei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #25
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiri Akurei View Post
Hi! Can I ask you to please look at THIS thread? Its about Demyx's sitar... I need some help figuring out how to make it, since I have no more than 20 days to make it in. xD So, all the information about my ideas and such are there, but any advise or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you VERY much!!

I posted on your thread! Hope I helped!

In Progress:

Unread 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #26
Kiri Akurei
:B

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-holla-J View Post
I posted on your thread! Hope I helped!
Thank you very much. And you did... I very much appreciate all the information. <3

COSPLAYS FOR ANIMAZEMENT 2012
stuff
Kiri Akurei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #27
Atomic Pocky

Great tutorial! It's realy helped. Before I read this, I was completely clueless on where to even start. So far I've been following it with much luck, though I've deviated on a few things. (I've got a lightweight spackeling a friend's mother recommended, and she manages construction sights for a living, so we took her word assuming she knows what she's talking about.)

However, I have a few questions, mainly regarding the hot wire. Or rather... where to get one. I've looked everywhere, and the best I've been able to come up with was a small hand saw, supposedly made specifically to cut insulation foam. Before I got that, I was using a box cutter... <_< This works if I take the time to sand everything down, or carve the details by hand with the box cutter or knife, but that's really tedious, and it's only me working on this, and a friend who's vouged to help on weekends. So, needless to say, we're kind of short on man power.

I'm sorry for the long post, I've just gotten so far on it, I think I'd die if I screwed up at this point. Not to mention I wouldn't have time to make another. XD; Once again, great tutorial! Thank you so much for posting it!
Atomic Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #28
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Pocky View Post
Great tutorial! It's realy helped. Before I read this, I was completely clueless on where to even start. So far I've been following it with much luck, though I've deviated on a few things. (I've got a lightweight spackeling a friend's mother recommended, and she manages construction sights for a living, so we took her word assuming she knows what she's talking about.)

However, I have a few questions, mainly regarding the hot wire. Or rather... where to get one. I've looked everywhere, and the best I've been able to come up with was a small hand saw, supposedly made specifically to cut insulation foam. Before I got that, I was using a box cutter... <_< This works if I take the time to sand everything down, or carve the details by hand with the box cutter or knife, but that's really tedious, and it's only me working on this, and a friend who's vouged to help on weekends. So, needless to say, we're kind of short on man power.

I'm sorry for the long post, I've just gotten so far on it, I think I'd die if I screwed up at this point. Not to mention I wouldn't have time to make another. XD; Once again, great tutorial! Thank you so much for posting it!

If they don't have it at Lowe's or Home Depot, try a Hobby Lobby, or some other hobby store! We have two hot wires, one from Lowe's the other from Hobby Lobby, and they're pretty much identical models.

So glad my tutorial is helpful!

In Progress:

Unread 05-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #29
RainingWendy

wow this was very very helpful best tutorial i've seen
RainingWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #30
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Omgzorz my sitar has been a complete nightmare xD. It's Sunday night and Animazement is Friday, so I basically have until Thursday night to finish! It's in the process of being bondoed and sanded, and that will prolly be finished by Tuesday night so that gives me TWO days to paint and add all the pieces on the front, not to mention I have to style the wig and finish my Sailor V costume as well, but hopefully I'll have those done by Tuesday night as well X____X. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures after it's done.

Btw, actully being on topic, lol, this tutorial has been quite helpful[i hate bondo].
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote