Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #31
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua's Rhapsody View Post
Omgzorz my sitar has been a complete nightmare xD. It's Sunday night and Animazement is Friday, so I basically have until Thursday night to finish! It's in the process of being bondoed and sanded, and that will prolly be finished by Tuesday night so that gives me TWO days to paint and add all the pieces on the front, not to mention I have to style the wig and finish my Sailor V costume as well, but hopefully I'll have those done by Tuesday night as well X____X. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures after it's done.

Btw, actully being on topic, lol, this tutorial has been quite helpful[i hate bondo].

Good time saver- paint the extra pieces while you're waiting on the bondo and/or paint on the main piece to dry. That way you won't have to paint them after attaching them. If you can afford it, buy 5 or 20 minute epoxy to attach them- that way, you can get all the pieces glued on to STAY in a matter of two hours of so, guaranteed. Epoxy is a GODSEND. Take it to the convention, too, if you buy it. It's expensive, but WELL worth the investment.

If the weather is nice, set the sitar outside while the paint is drying. Natural wind REALLY helps paint dry, but keep it out of direct sunlight, just to be safe.

Good luck!

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

D-holla-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #32
Melodious Nocturne
~*Melodious Angel*~

thats so cool, now i can finish mine. i was stuck XDDDD
Sayaka Miki - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Melodious Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #33
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

I'm finally done. Everyone that wants to make a sitar, this guide is pretty helpful. I did some things differently, but it was still a big help. If you want to see some pictures of my sitar, click my photo gallery.
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #34
renton thurston

Wow great tutorial!!

I'm planning on going to Otakon 08 as Demyx on one of the days and this really helped.
I do have some questions:
What is the second bridge made of?
how did you make it?
and could you try to explain the shading of the spraypaint/air brush thing again? im kinda stoopid lol
renton thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #35
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Both the bridges are made of hardwood-if you make them out of foam, they might not hold up to the strings pressing against them all the time, but it could work.

How you do the shading on the back of the shaft is this- you get a can of spray paint in the correct color, hold it at the bottom of the back of the shaft, and spray lightly. The paint will naturally fall heavier at the bottom, where the can is, and lighter at the top of the shaft. That way you have the fading in the reference picture.

In Progress:

Unread 09-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #36
Usuratonkachi
Enjoy your spaghetti.

OMG, thank you so much. <3

I'm planning on making this for Christmas for my little sister. I have no idea why, but she's going through a Demyx stage, where she's completely in love with him. She wants everything Demyx related...so either this or the life-sized plushie. XD She doesn't know I'm planning on making this though. =)

Last edited by Usuratonkachi : 09-08-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Usuratonkachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #37
Psycho Goth
I was Always...

Can this technique also work for Saix's Claymore? or is the too much detail in his weapon? Also may I just point out that in your reference pic of the Sitar itself, doesn't the top part where the spikes are doesn't the cross shape have more depth to it than your sitar does? Or is that just an easier thing to leav that out?
Psycho Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #38
FinalHeavenTifa
Daughter of the Sun

this is a great tutorial! Unfortunately, I found the insualtion at Lowes.... but it was like 1/4 of an inch thick! D:
Off to home depot. Thanks alot, hun! I was comisioned for this sitar.
And wouldnt hollowing the center layer out make it less heavy and lining the inside with dowl rods goin from one side to the other for stablitly? ^_^

Take away my interenet.... I'll find ways to sneak on
Take away my TV ..... I'll go on the internet
Take away my games... I'll watch TV
But If you take away my drawing paper you must be asking for a beat down.
FinalHeavenTifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #39
Jezzii_Akuma
Hiding from the Light

You said that the sitar weighed 24 or so pounds. You also said that you thought most of the weight was from the wood parts. I was thinking, to make it weigh less, of using PVC pipe instead of Wood. Do you think that would work?

Anime Next:
Fri-Seto Kaiba, Lucrecia
Sat-Karasu, Akito
Sun-Undecided either Seto or random orgy member

MangaNEXT:
Seto
Axel
Jezzii_Akuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #40
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Goth View Post
Can this technique also work for Saix's Claymore? or is the too much detail in his weapon? Also may I just point out that in your reference pic of the Sitar itself, doesn't the top part where the spikes are doesn't the cross shape have more depth to it than your sitar does? Or is that just an easier thing to leav that out?
The top part isn't 100% accurate, you're right- I did it this way because I didn't want to do just foam for the spikes, as they'd break off too easily. I wanted to leave them thick enough to get those dowel rods in there for stability, so I sacrificed a little accuracy so it would be feasible to ship the sitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalHeavenTifa View Post
this is a great tutorial! Unfortunately, I found the insualtion at Lowes.... but it was like 1/4 of an inch thick! D:
Off to home depot. Thanks alot, hun! I was comisioned for this sitar.
And wouldnt hollowing the center layer out make it less heavy and lining the inside with dowl rods goin from one side to the other for stablitly? ^_^
Hollowing out the center layer would make it lighter, but I guarantee that if you did that, the sitar would break in half less than an hour into the con. Guaranteed. The shape of the sitar is simply far too weak to have a hollowed out center unless you're working with hardwood, then the weight point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzii_Akuma View Post
You said that the sitar weighed 24 or so pounds. You also said that you thought most of the weight was from the wood parts. I was thinking, to make it weigh less, of using PVC pipe instead of Wood. Do you think that would work?
PVC pipe could work, but I'd be worried that it would flex too much in the shaft of the sitar, and it wouldn't stabilize the foam enough to keep it from cracking and breaking. I may be wrong, though- I haven't worked much with PVC. I went with hardwood dowel rods because I knew the flex would be minimal, and would provide a solid backbone.

In Progress:

Unread 12-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #41
MonochromeMist

You said you used spackle to seal it before painting, I was thinking of using Gesso. Will this work, or do you recommend against it? Sorry if this has been asked already...
MonochromeMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #42
natsuo
Wonderflexing

that is an amazing and long tutorial! Thanks for it

And I hope to see you at Ohayocon. I'll be Haku and Natsuo.
natsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #43
Clive-kun
Secretly a supervillain

Wow..and mine was so much easier to make...>.> hahah
Clive-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #44
Vixremn
Vermin

I have a somewhat important question; someone's told me that blue and pink insulation foam is toxic. Is this misinformation (It could be knowing this person) or is it true?
Keep in mind, I'm from Australia, and it could be that things have a different name here. But I'm pretty sure it's the same thing we're talking about.
Oh, and to clarify, by "toxic" I understand that's it's not going to be healthy if I breathe particles in. I was planning on wearing a mask while sanding. I just want to know the extent of the toxicity, mainly to prove this person wrong lol.

Also... I'm having trouble finiding those bonding/strengthening materials. (Plaster wrap and vinyl spackling) at Dahlsens, which is the only hardware shop in town (I live about 3 hours out of the city, at least 2 hours from any suburbian centres, though next couple months I will be able to try other stores as I'm moving into the suburbs). Now I've only been looking to price it, not asking for it, but do you think it'd be called the same thing here? Again, I live in Australia and I'm not sure if things are named differently. So would you know of any other names, or brand names, for those?

Thanks for the great tut by the way. xD

Last edited by Vixremn : 01-08-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention that I'm moving and will be able to check more stores soon
Vixremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #45
MonochromeMist

Vixremn - I think the person is thinking of fiberglass foam, which is kind of toxic, but as far as I know, this stuff isn't toxic if you wear a face mask. It will cause your lungs to hurt if you breath the dust from sanding in directly, though.
MonochromeMist is offline   Reply With Quote