Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average.
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Witch Dorothy

Best way to untangle a long wig!!!!!!!!!

I got a long wig for mion from higurashi and after a convention it got totally tangled. What's the best way to untangle it.(oh and it's really long)
Witch Dorothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
chisainekocat
Harr0

Buy a $3-$4 can of oil sheen. The brand I use is Motions: http://www.motionshair.com/M_images/...ShnCondS11.jpg

Spray liberally, and carefully comb the tangles out with a wide-tooth comb. The wig will look oily at first but it dries in a couple hours or overnight. The wig will be less likely to tangle afterwards. =)

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
distantarray

cholesterol works well, i'm serious too, it's actually what makes up most of paul mitchell's detangler conditioner.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
dizzyupthegirl

I untangle my weight in wigs every month, and nearly every one is at least 30", we have a few that are down to my knees! (I work in a costume shop that rents out wigs, by the way)

I SWEAR by regular cheap ol' hand lotion. Just rub some between your hands, then run them over the wig and comb it through. It works like a charm! Just don't use too much or it might get a little greasy.

All the wigs I've used this on were pretty high quality though, so if yours is of a cheaper fiber it may not run the same way.
dizzyupthegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
DarkMagick75

Miku Hatsune Wig...

I have the same problem with my Miku Hatsune Wig! (Only i have 2 pigtails instead of one :P) I've never tried hand lotion before, but it sounds like the kind of thing that might work.
Have fun with your Mion cosplay!
DarkMagick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Jacque-Maree

dizzyupthegirl, you are amazing. I just created an account for this site so I could thank you for your advice, because I was at my wits end on how to untangle my really long pigtails. I am indebted to you forever, thank you so much!
Jacque-Maree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
EpicCosplay
Wig Designer and Retailer

Also when combing, start from the bottom instead of the top.
EpicCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
LittleKagsin

Also, when using Motions Sheen Oil Spray (it's what I use) let it dry completely before trying to untangle it. It normally takes my wigs 24 hours to be all dry. =^^=

2011 Cosplays:
Super Alice (remake) - 0%
(surprise) - 20%
Steampunk Harley - 2%

Bayonetta - 25%
Catwoman - 40%
LittleKagsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Zelda Kingsly

hi my wig was attacked by my freinds dog and she made it so tangled that it's in one big fuz ball. it's very long i have a few strands that aren't should i just buy a new one or try to undo it
school girl kairi/selphie (100%)
serah (40%)
maryann fosster -true blood wedding gown (50%) i need to resize it
misa misa(100%)
Zelda Kingsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
inu.matto
Imperial Fist's waifu :3

I and my friend always untangle our long wigs with something oily and warm baths. I used spray silicone on mine (I do not recommend it unless you have nothing else left, because it leaves a permanent "wet" impression of the wig), and my friend simply uses oil (yep that yellow one used for cooking... xDD)
We simply lay the wig in the bath, let in some warm to hot water so that the wig would sink in it, then using small amounts of cooking oil or shampoo start combing the wig with fingers, starting from the ends and making our way to the top. It's an easy but very patience-requiring task... works fine for us though!
inu.matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Near_Chan
Twat!

I recently bought a Saya wig from High School of the Dead. It's a long wig, it's reached pass my knees. Everytime I wear the wig, the ponytails get tangled. I have used the oil and combed it out from bottom to top. But it takes me an hour each time. I keep it packaged when I'm not wearing it.

Is it always going to tangle when I wear it? What is the best method of untangling it and keeping it tangle free or a faster method of getting it tangel free at a con. Because it seems like this will be troublesome to maintain at the con. Thank you for your time.

Cosplays:
  • Tsuna (Reborn) - 100%
  • Ventus (KH: BBS) - 100 % done
  • Patti (Soul eater) - 100% done
  • Tohru (Fruits Basket )- 100% done
Near_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
LittleKagsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near_Chan View Post
I recently bought a Saya wig from High School of the Dead. It's a long wig, it's reached pass my knees. Everytime I wear the wig, the ponytails get tangled. I have used the oil and combed it out from bottom to top. But it takes me an hour each time. I keep it packaged when I'm not wearing it.

Is it always going to tangle when I wear it? What is the best method of untangling it and keeping it tangle free or a faster method of getting it tangel free at a con. Because it seems like this will be troublesome to maintain at the con. Thank you for your time.
It just takes a long time to untangle long wigs, it actually takes me about two hours plus to untangle my Euphemia wig. Thats just how long wigs are. Have you sprayed a leave in oil/conditioner on the wig? Or just used oil when trying to untangle it? A few of us use Motions Sheen Oil Spray, sprayed onto the wig and left over night. It does help with the tangles somewhat. As for during a con, I like to keep my long wigs tied in ribbons. And I just slip them off for pictures. If you don't want to do that, keep a wide-toothed comb, or your fingers, handy and untangled it often! Long wigs are a pain, but worth it if you have the patience. Just keep at it. =^^=

2011 Cosplays:
Super Alice (remake) - 0%
(surprise) - 20%
Steampunk Harley - 2%

Bayonetta - 25%
Catwoman - 40%
LittleKagsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
tunesonatuesday
Wonder Aficionado

A woman who works with a lot of wigs once told me to use fabric softener. Spray it on the wig, let it mostly dry (if it's too wet you'll pull fibers out when you comb it but if it's too dry it'll get all gross), comb it, then rinse it to get most of the softener out, the let it dry and comb it again. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't had any tangle disasters but that's what she recommended.
Hirasawa Yui [Uniform] (K-On!) - 60%
Hirasawa Yui [Don't Say Lazy] (K-On!) - Planning
Miroku (InuYasha) - 95%
Imp Midna (Twilight Princess) - 40%

Cons: Animaritime 2012 and Hal-con 2012
tunesonatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
Len Kagamine 02

Miku Hatsune wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by inu.matto View Post
I and my friend always untangle our long wigs with something oily and warm baths. I used spray silicone on mine (I do not recommend it unless you have nothing else left, because it leaves a permanent "wet" impression of the wig), and my friend simply uses oil (yep that yellow one used for cooking... xDD)
We simply lay the wig in the bath, let in some warm to hot water so that the wig would sink in it, then using small amounts of cooking oil or shampoo start combing the wig with fingers, starting from the ends and making our way to the top. It's an easy but very patience-requiring task... works fine for us though!
I have a Miku Hatsune wig (similar to this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosplay-wig-Voca...em415635 3f93) and the ponytails are SO TANGLED. Do you think it's okay for it to get wet? I'm so cautious. XP
Len Kagamine 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Emster

I have an about 100cm long Luka Megurine wig, and this is the first day I've had it, and underneath it's already gotten a big tangle. You can't really see it from the top but I'll be wearing it to a convention in a few weeks, and I'm a bit weary about trying any products on it.
Emster is offline   Reply With Quote