Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Armin Arlert crossplay help?

Was wondering if I could get any tips on my Armin Arlert crossplay. My problem is, though I can bind my large breasts relatively fine (I need a different binder since the one I have is somewhat sucky, but I digress), my hips and thighs and butt are very large in proportion to my waist (I have 40 inch hips and a 28 inch waist). So I end up looking like Armin from the waist up, but from the waist down it looks ridiculous.

I tried the baggy pants thing, but what with the harnesses I need to wear for the crossplay, which need to fit close to the body anyway so as to not slip down and off, it's kind of pointless. Plus the pants they wear in the show are clearly not baggy.

I know there's only so much I can do because it likely has more to do with my bone structure than body fat. But what exactly can I do to help? This is one of my very first crossplays, so I'm really new to this.

I saw in the stickied thread that you can pad your waist and shoulders. I don't want to look like big though, and the jacket I have fits in such a way I don't know padding my shoulders would be very effective anyway. (Also, what do you even use to pad?)
Underworks has some compression suits and stuff, but exactly how well do those work? I know the top halves for binding breasts are very effective, but I've not heard much of a consensus on the compression of the lower half.

Really, I basically have no idea what I'm doing and after a lot of internet searches I thought it would be helpful to just make this thread and get answers directly. Anyone that could offer any advice would be greatly appreciated. ;__;

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help me D:
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Okay, so after trying on my cosplay again and playing around with padding different parts of my body (which turned out with some lumps because I didn't have any actual foam, just fabric, but I just wanted to get a general idea of how I could change my silhouette), I found the padding thing didn't really do much to make me look any better, sure I looked different, but not better.
So I thought, how much could I really change with, say, compression shorts? I don't usually eyeball myself naked or feel how fleshy my thighs/hips/etc. are, but I figured to get an answer I needed to do that. So I looked and felt (as weird as this sounds) and came to the conclusion that yes, a good deal of my hips are pretty fatty, and I've got a very toned down version of the "saddle-bag" dilemma, at least that's what my mom used to call it, which is basically some fat at the widest part of my hips. I tried pressing it flat, and yeah, I've got slimmer hip bones than I thought. My legs and thighs are also quite... Well, definitely not toned. (It's been a good while since I've done any exercise besides running around at work.) So there's a decent amount to move around there.

Basically, I've got a waist that works for Armin when my breasts are bound and the shirt is a straighter fit rather than something fitted (the shirt I have works fine) so as to not reveal the remnants of an hourglass figure. My lower half is straight up pudgy, and I believe with a compression thing (I've looked at Underworks' stuff and see some options) that could help, well, compress, I could look roughly okay depending on how well the bottoms work.
I think I have around the right bone structure to pull off Armin. I've got a roughly average build with some excess weight on top that really only becomes a problem around the hips. (I have a very slight belly issue but a compression top should fix that I'm thinking... Anyway.) Though Armin is super slim and he looks boyish enough animated (I mean he does have feminine qualities but whatever), if we're translating it to real life, I don't think rail-thin would be how he would look necessarily? Basically what I'm saying is I think I have the bone structure of an average but slim-ish boy.

SO. All this to say I think I may have found a solution to my issues. BUT any tips or opinions are welcome because as I've said before, I'm not knowledgeable about any of this and so could be spouting complete and utter shit for all I know. I'm going to buy a compression top-binder-thing since the binder I have is kind of sucky and only goes to about my ribcage so doesn't go anywhere near my unfortunate belly issue, some compression shorts of some kind, and see how that works in "getting rid" of my fat.

/sigh
WHY IS THIS SO HARD
Unread 07-14-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Ion
イオン

Do you have a naturally high waist?

One thing to consider when crossplaying is making your waistline appear lower as females tend to have a higher waistline than males. Furthermore, females tend to have a greater distance between waistline and hips. To give the illusion of a more masculine re: less curvy thereby less womanly figure, you want to fake having a lower waist. Here is a diagram to give you a general idea of what I mean.

The harness belt and buttskirt part of the uniform should not be worn at your true or "natural waist". Lower them to a point that de-emphasizes having a smaller waist and bigger hips. You are not "sagging your pants", just lowering the visual waistline a few inches for the illusion.

If you feel you have weak shoulders and want to balance out wide hips, padding your shoulders might help provide a squarer more boxy silhouette. We used and abused them in most 80's and early 90's fashions and they are still available today. Just stop by Joanns or similar and look in the notions area depending on thickness desired, they will run you $3-7ish.

I found that the buttskirt can hide a whole lot of hip difference if you position it correctly. Unfortunately, to be accurate, the pants have to be kind of tight. My group used sturdy jeggings which helped make our thighs look slimmer and compressed things anyway so we did not bother buying compression shorts... besides, that is an extra layer. Plain lycra leggings will not help with slimmer legs and if you have compression-wear, it might show under thinner fabrics, however the belts around the legs may distract from this so experiment if possible. Also consider that these costumes have a number of heat-trapping layers so you want to plan accordingly and not get too many layers if heat is a concern.

Lastly, this does not help for walking around, but if you are shooting... it's all about angles. Front-on poses do not hide wide hips well from a camera but a 3/4 angle will make everything seem narrower. In this pic, viewers cannot really discern waist-vs-waist size etc due to angling and how I wore the buttskirt/belt. I definitely recommend practicing poses and angles to find what works for you. Hope this gives some food for thought.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I currently am using a pair of white stretchy skinny jeans that breathe pretty good since they're stretchy, I don't think an extra layer will be much of an issue. They're pretty similar to jeggings that I've seen around where I live. I think with the amount of junk I have to deal with I might give compression shorts a try, since I've got time and money's not an enormous issue since they're cheap enough.

As for the buttskirt, the one I have is a super tight fit and it just doesn't help things, since it needs to sit higher on me to even fasten. I'm just going to make/buy a new one since this was kind of a freebie so I'm not losing much, and follow your advice.

And thank you for the posing tips, I'm not great with pictures since I just recently got used to people actually even wanting pictures of me, so I'll definitely heed your advice!

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!!
Unread 07-16-2015, 02:40 AM   #5
AgentTexas
ALL DA' WIGS

I'm confused how this shows so much, unless you're a bit heavier than me or something? I have a 26 inch waist and 36 inch hips/thighs. It doesn't show on me even when I wear tight fitting pants? I guess it could be the placement of my butt-skirt. I wear low rise jeans and so it sits right on my hips and I think makes it less visible.

Here's where mine hit, I'm on the right:
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psekfmbwc2.png

It could be your leggings too, but I wore leggings for my Levi before I decided I liked belt loops too much...I'm on the far left.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10410311_564607143676314_3178919582310903235_n.jpg ?oh=8a78f1a47e73ce3a2baf1ace932d93dd&oe=5618B9B3

But again I wore my butt-skirt on my hips.

Facebook - Tumblr

-Cons 2015

Ohayocon
Shumatsucon
Colossalcon
Matsuricon
(maybe)Katsucon

-Cosplays

Hanji Zoe - Attack On Titan, 80% (need wig)
School Girl Rukia Kuchiki - Bleach, 0% (not yet started)
Armin Arlert - Attack On Titan, 100%
Levi Ackerman - Attack On Titan, 100%
Eren Jaeger - Attack On Titan, 70% (making shirt)
Taiga Aisaka - Toradora!, 15%(planning)
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler, 10%(planning even more)
Nagisa Hazuki - 10% (planning for Colossalcon)
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Well as I said my hips are more than several inches bigger than yours... (Actually measured a minute ago and they're roughly 42.5 inches now... Looks like I gained some weight down there and lost some up top, oops.) So it could make quite a bit of difference, especially considering everyone is different even with the same measurements, sometimes drastically so. ^^"

But yeah... My hips have gotten quite pudgy, I'm going to have to do some exercise when I'm not working so much and get back down to my normal size... Ugh. Until then hopefully compression garments can help slim me a little for crossplay, now to find which one is best...
Unread 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
ilafatyu
That guy

If you're planning on working out, I suggest focusing on your top half. Not only will that balance your proportions out a little, it won't drastically increase muscle mass in your thighs, and nice arms/shoulders is always a plus for crossplay (and everything else in life). Running's good and all that, but if you really want to change your body structure, you gotta work some muscles.

Other than that, yeah, Ion has some fantastic advice. The buttskirt is black too, which gives it a slimming look against the white.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Summer Matsuri

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Umbreon (Pokemon gijinka) - Constructing
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote