Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 984 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #4816
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Kas- YAY you're using my pictah!!!! XDD If anyone else wants me to shrink theirs down for them I will.

Risu- Ooh, pwetty!! lol Your scarf is finally on its way!! It should be there around Wednesday or so. And great finds!!

Sirena- as long as it works out in the end, right?? ^.^

OMG guys, I officially have a photographer!! I'm stoked. It's great because she loves cosplay and anime and all that, she's a really great friend, and she's a great photographer.

Unread 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #4817
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

For you potential villain-seekers, (assuming you don't already have a favorite in mind) keep in mind what type you want. Do you want cold and sinister, or outlandish and comedic? Like with all categories of characters, there are sub-categories of types, and I've noticed those two are the most common as well as what Disney is known to be good at.

The cold, sinister ones (Maleficent, Jafar, Frollo, Scar, etc.) give off a greater air of power. You don't have to do much to show how bad or scary your character can be. Gestures are usually more subtle but you can easily get your message across with just that! (And make the character's exaggerated motions seem all the more powerful!) Some say it's more restricting, but I find it's all about knowing your character's behaviors and playing those up. The fun comes from how you use them. Billowing capes and sinister smiles FTW!

For comedic ones (Captain Hook, Cruella De Vil, Queen of Hearts, Gaston, etc.) you get more lenience for being "evil." You do not need to act high and mighty or keep a certain face. Keeping the evil persona is not a requirement. Wild exaggerated motions are more frequent, and crazy dramatic is a plus. And what may be considered OOC is given more leeway.

Wow that sounded scholarly. xP
But I brought it up because I know from trial and error what works for some villains won't work for others, and believe it or not I'm still trying to figure some of that. Sometimes I feel I'm too flamboyant to be the Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODP! View Post
Since I'm wearing Belle for Halloween, and my boyfriend is always being told he looks sort of like Gaston (He has the chest hair, just ask Musical. She saw him at Disneyland and that's the first thing she said. XD) he agreed to be him.
Gaston is hilarious. Quite pompous, but hilarious.
:]
*hangs head* It was not the first thing!

In other news: Good news, I took care of my Disney withdrawal the other day that I mentioned on my FB.
Bad news, while watching Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular at DCA I had this crack thought about being the Magic Carpet.

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #4818
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Suzie- Thanks for the picture! It has a lost memory look to it!

Musical- haha, great guide! If you want to cosplay the Magic Carpet, go for it! It would definitely be original, although I'm not sure how many people would get it......

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #4819
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Musical- HAHAHAHAAAAAAAA DO EEETT (the magic carpet thing). And good advice for villains!! I'm more for outlandish/comedic villains because I couldn't be sinister if I tried. But I'd love to try it sometime. >

Beni- That's what I was going for!! lol I'm not super duper happy with it though; I'll probably do another.
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #4820
Miyukisetsu
For the Lulz

AGGHHHH I haven't posted here in a while. XD Been kinda busy with final projects and what-not for mah classes. I don't know if I'll bother going back through all the pages. Anyone wanna summarize? Haha
I don't really have anything fun to add. D: I may be posting a cover of Part of Your World on Youtube soon...<_< if I can get it recorded. You guys were talking about singing Disney songs on youtube and I wanted tooooo!

Suize - I wanna use that manip you made for me! I thought it was so purty! *3*

SDCC 2011 - Disney's Belle, Lara Croft
Miyukisetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #4821
LKD
Is a princess!!

>D I don't start classes until almost October

I really want to do covers too and I was thinking of doing a series of Drizella singing all the disney songs but I doubt people would be able to listen for long XD;
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #4822
inconspicuous

Hi guys! Haven't been here in a long while, but I discovered that I wasn't the only one Disney cosplayer putting cosplays on DeviantArt (I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was) and thought I should come back her again. Sorry I haven't been posting as consistently as the rest of you, but I have school to worry about You probably won't see much of me.

Anyways, as long as we're talking about villians here, has anyone else always wanted to see someone cosplay Chernabog from Fantasia? That would be freaking epic.

EDIT: I second Miyu's request. We need a recap/summary!

Last edited by inconspicuous : 08-23-2010 at 11:36 PM.
inconspicuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #4823
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Inconspicuous- How's Miss Kitty coming along? Also, are you still wanting to know what cons are like? Chernabog would be an interesting cosplay to see to say the least. Oddly enough, I know some guys who practically have the build for it. By the way, what's your name on dA?

And since we're on the villains subject, who could I be? This might be tricky considering I'm under 5 feet and look like I'm 13 XD

My deviantArt

Unread 08-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #4824
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihime78 View Post
Fabulousity- What kind of advice are you looking for?
Basically anything. Wigs, patterns, fabric, any help you can give. I'm not sure I'm going to do her, but I am considering it for MNSSHP.
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #4825
inconspicuous

Forgive me for the large post!

@Beni
1.) My Miss Kitty cosplay is finished but I have to wait for the school year to do a photoshoot. I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but my drama teacher said I could use the stage for my photoshoot.
2.) I talked to a couple other people about cons, so I'm good.
3.) Here's my DA account: http://cygnusswan.deviantart.com/
4.) You're a tricky one, alright! Almost all animated villains are really old and, like you said, you look very young. That might be fixable with makeup, though. Also, your features are less cold and heartless and more warm and inviting. Comedic villains or henchmen will probably suit you more because they tend look less scary. Personally, I think you would make a good Darla Dimple. Yeah, she isn't disney, and you're a bit skinny for her, but you're younger looking, shorter, and have her smile (minus the tooth gap). You should do an adolecent version of her. If you really don't want to stray away from Disney, here's two to think about:
Vanessa Doofenshmirtz (not completely villainous, but not completely good either)
The Red Queen, from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

@Fabulosity: Buy the shoes; They're simple enough to find at a store. As for fabric, cotton and linen were commonly used in the victorian era, but I would choose cotton over linen because it doesn't wrinkle as much and it isn't as stiff.

Last edited by inconspicuous : 08-24-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #4826
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

It's not a Disney and no one would recognize me cause people generally hate the movie or didn't see it, but I would love to do Eris from "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" (which I consider a sadly underrated animated film). Only thing is I hate dresses with no sleeves...But that's the kind of villainess I would like to be. It's been awhile since I last watched the movie, but I remember her being like a mixture of FMA's Lust crossed with the Norse god Loki in that she's a bit of a trickster, but very sexy.

Thanks for that Villains Guide. I'm definitely more comfortable with the less over-the-top characters (even though I do them from time to time).
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con

Last edited by SirenaBlack : 08-24-2010 at 02:50 AM.
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #4827
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Inconspicuous- So cool! Lucky you, getting to actually use your school as a photoshoot location. That makes me kinda wish I had my Jasmine cosplay back when my school put on "Arabian Nights". The set was amazing! Even though she doesn't do it in the movie, you should see about posing on a piano too XD. I think it would work. Thanks for the villain advice, I've also thought about Vanessa from The Little Mermaid. My dA is in my siggy. Le set(see what I mean):
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/100_6145.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/100_6149.jpg

Fabulosity- Try looking on the Simplicity, McCall's, and Butterick websites for pattern ideas. If you're petite like me, you can even get a kid's pattern since I think the kids section would more likely have something close(don't quote me on that). As for wigs, I'd reccomend "Innocent" from amphigory- just de/restyle the pigtails into a ponytail.
http://amphigory.com/wigs_innocent.html

My deviantArt

Unread 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #4828
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

@Benihime Thank you so much!
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #4829
inconspicuous

@Beni: You're right, that set IS amazing! It would have been amazing. It would have been a great oportunity for a Jasmine photoshoot. I was talking about Vanessa from Phineas & Ferb, but, now that you mention it, I think the Vanessa from The Little Mermaid would suit you even better! Plus, it's probably better known than the other Vanessa.

It'd be a bit of ways before I could start a cosplay, but any villian suggestions for me? I'm trying to think of some, but the ones that suit me best have already been cosplayed a million times, and that kinda makes me lose interest in those characters. I'd perfer a serious villian. I have pretty high cheek bones and dark circles, so villians with similar features. The more obscure, the better.
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #4830
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Guys Guys GUYS GUYS GUYSSSSSSSS!!!! Well, ladies, actually. ^.^ LOOOOKKKK!!!!:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=343130&l=666ae16090&id=1000005833518 45

Miyu- YAY For Disney covers!!

inconspicuous: OMG You're the Cornelia cosplayer who's photo I commented on the other day on dA!!!! I love your avatar!! And here's a gift for yous:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=343136&l=58673f1d90&id=1000005833518 45

Last edited by Suzie Blue : 08-24-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Suzie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote