Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1143 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #9886
Limeyaku
First-Mate

Bodice is DOOOOOOONE!

Construction-wise anyways. Just have to add the sweetheart neckline, embroider the eyelets and paint the designs on the sleeves. I really dislike the sleeves ( the ribbon is bumpy, the 'puffs' are too long, I feel, and I want to make the actual sleeves with a semi-sheer material without stretch so I can embroider them ) but overall I'm pretty happy with how it looks.

Camera died so all I have is crappy phone camera.

Tomorrow I make the skirt! And then the week leading up to Halloween I'll just be painting and embroidering. All that fun and relaxing stuff. *PHEW* I think I'm actually going to make it this year!

LS: I'm on the Navy Blue team for Ariel's corset. I always look at two things; colour comparisons in the same screens and merch. Merch has it as blue, and her corset definitely isn't the same colour as Erics boots. So yeah...

Of course, I also interpret Eric's shirt as white, so I'd say her shirt is the slightest pale blue as well.

Whichever colours you like best!!! All combo's look beautiful as long as they're the right tones. But it'll definitely be recognizable no matter what.
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #9887
nessabutterfly

Sasha-- I had always seen it as black, just from watching the movie, but once I got working on it, I saw that all the stills really are navy blue. I went with black anyway, because I had just bought the fabric and I liked it. Most people do the black, but it is technically a really dark midnight blue. No one's going to fault you either way cause it's so hard to tell! The shirt is definitely blue though.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #9888
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

@Sasha: I've seen both used on cosplayers too. As long as you have the hair and bow, they'll know and see Ariel, not the girl with an inaccurate corset color.

@Ali - thanks so much for the advice! I will just stick with using muslin for this. I've got plenty (though you can never have too much mock-up fabric) and even when I looked at the redtag fabric section at Joanns, the ones that were similar were either still quite pricey or there was never enough for the amount I need. Plus, since this involves a lot of alteration and is also my first full cosplay from scratch, I don't trust myself to know what I'm doing.

@kojiro: I saw that and did think about that when I was brainstorming how to remake my Queen outfit, though I was worried if it would fit because I have a big head. But since I moved the Parks!Queen up first I want to make her Park cowl and crown first, which looks like ...something lightweight...enough for it to be velcroed onto the cowl.

...Bleh I'll worry about that when the time comes. Got to work a little more on the dress pattern but that's it. I won't have time this week to work on cosplay this week due to schoolwork and a Cirque de Soleil workshop this weekend. Hope I can learn something new.

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #9889
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Sasha: I think it sort of depends on how you want to do the layer. I've had an in-progress version of the costume for a while now, and while I originally bought fabric to do it in navy, if I end up making it more like a corset instead (with lacing and grommets and whatnot) I think I'll end up making it in black, because it's totally impossible to find lacing and grommets in navy blue, and I don't think I'd be able to match them easily.
I also have the issue that I have black shoes, and would rather pair those with a black bodice than try to hunt for navy shoes.
For what it's worth the Ariel on the park ride definitely has a black bodice, with lacing up the front. But her hair is also in a ponytail, so what do they know?
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #9890
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Lol yeah I'm pretty torn on it. I know for a fact that the shirt is going to be a pale blue (I'm probably going to dye it myself so I can get the right shade). And of course the skirt is blue. Idk what to do about the corset. In my minds eye (not looking at any of the pictures) I see it as a black but then I see the pictures and....>.O oi. I was thinking of boning it using the steel spiral boning I have left over from my Belle ballgown. Since the corset isn't an underbust and I don't want it squishing my chest. Thinking of just doing a zipper in the back for simplicity's sake. Me and grommets are not friends.

and are there any good long,full skirt patterns out there? I was trying to look and couldn't find anything. I know someone here's Briar Rose skirt was a circle skirt and it was super pretty and EXACTLY what I want to do with Ariel's skirt (Suzie I think it might have been you?)

Thanks for all the help guys~

Lime ~ Even with the phone camera it looks good! And thanks for that pic of Ariel! I was actually looking specifically for that one and couldnt find it lol
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #9891
WonderlandAlice

Sasha- poodle skirt patterns are typically that full circle skirt, so you don't have to worry about the bulk of fabric at the waist which can come from gathering. I've used that pattern for skirts before and I just lengthen accordingly.

Wonderful progress everyone! So jealous of the work you guys do.

I know this is a side topic, but I am doing a winter costume and I am wondering if anyone has recommendations as to how make Suzy Snowflake's ice...shards(?) for her crown and arms. I am thinking something clear but I haven't a clue as to what material to use.

http://outtheother.typepad.com/blog/...snowflake.html
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #9892
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

WonderlandAlice~ What about the clear plastic vinyl they sell at Joanns? It comes in varying thicknesses and could work if you want something clear.
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #9893
WonderlandAlice

Vinyl! I never would have thought of that. Any recommendatons for the structure and how to attach it?
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #9894
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandAlice View Post
Vinyl! I never would have thought of that. Any recommendatons for the structure and how to attach it?
I would suggest probably either floral or jewelry wire wrapped in something white (or use floral tape and paint it white)
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #9895
Kbelle

PasoHoss - On broadway.com, they are having a Halloween costume contest for inspired by/recreated Broadway costumes...you should totally enter! Then we can all vote for you to win
Kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #9896
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Akane- my gosh your Aurora blue dress is utterly amazing! Seriously is one of the most beautiful costumes I've ever seen!

Aurora- thank you! I'm glad someone else (who's a disney cosplay nerd) thinks a hooded cape would be cute for Punzie too. I was wondering if I'd be the only one who'd think it'd be a cute idea!!

Lime- LOVE your punzie, but I say that everytime! lol

I started sewing up my cape tonight, but only got one side done before dinner lol. Will probably continue with it some more on Friday as tomorrow I got things to do before I go see Disney on Ice as Ariel!! *eeeeeeeeeeee so excited!!!* But if I get a chance I'll jump at continuing with my rapunzel cape lol.

Last edited by FuriePhoenix : 10-19-2011 at 01:57 PM.
FuriePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #9897
Seifer-sama

@ Akane: Wow, amazing Aurora. I love your color choice. That bodice is to die for.

@ Limeyaku: Your progress is looking awesome! I am so jealous!

@ Lady Sasha: You could always find/dye a very dark blue and find a middle ground between blue and black.

@ Anyone: No real progress for my Rapunzel. Just working away on my third skirt panel. I have a huge project that needs to be finished before the end of the month, so I probably won't be able to really focus on her until November. Great progress everyone else though!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #9898
Pasohoss07

KBelle ~ Thanks for the tip! I just entered the contest! But now I can't find where my submission went, or the page where people can vote on costumes! Wierd! If any of you can find it, let me know.... and please vote for me!
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #9899
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Akane- Beautiful work on your Aurora dress!

Sasha- I'd go with a dark navy blue that looks black depending on the lighting. I used some for part of Mulan costume for that very reason. Also, interlock is that somewhat heavier fabric found in the knits?

Aurora- Spikes look good! How do you plan to attach them?

There's a pretty good chance that I'll be making it to a con this weekend and I plan to wear my Esmeralda. All I have to do is add the gold lines to the corset and it'll be ready! While I was out today, I got a tambourine and some sheer fabric for her headband as well. If I remember, I'll add some ribbons to the tambourine.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Last edited by Benihime78 : 10-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #9900
LKD
Is a princess!!

Everyone's progress makes me so envyous XD Why are you people so amazing?

Sasha- lol Why are Ariel's dresses so color confusing? I always thought it was white and black and that's how I made my first but after having it like that I thought to change it and that's why I chose blues instead. I never liked her town dress o.< I had to play around with the blues to like it x3

Well all my costumes are in storage now >< family issues but yea can't wear the for awhile. I have Sally still in my room though..I need her for a school volunteer job I'm doing.
Since I can't use them, I thought up of a new quick costume idea for halloween >D
I'm doing a Fem Dr. Facilier. (sorry jay! XD) Dr. Facilier at DL gave me the idea after calling me Mrs. Facilier so why not. A friend of mine is going to make my staff (good I need a cane cause of my foor too XD) and the feather for my hat. If he doesn't destroy my hat for being made so horribly...hmp. Anywho, Should I keep the pants or should I go in a skirt? XD Skanky Facilier LOL

I got the fabric for my friend's Vidia also. I'll be starting that soon. But first I need to finish my niece's snow white =D I'll post a piccu when I'm done