Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1145 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #10231
Chocobo Jockey
Muffin Sauce

I actually had quite a different school experience! I was pretty open about the things I liked, so I think that people just kinda accepted me as being 'Alyson- that girl who's quiet and likes Tangled. She makes really good costumes though!' (Seriously, I think cosplay was what I was most known for in school. >.< Well, cosplay and general creativity...Thank goodness for projects and Halloween! But yeah...I never tried to, like, fit in with crowds I didn't like, and so ultimately just kinda chilled with my fellow band geeks. haha What can I say? I'm proud of who I am! lol) In fact, I actually tried to incorporate my geekiness into everyday life as much as I could. Like, in my favorite book series (A Song of Ice and Fire), when characters from a certain area have a victory in battle, they put a bell on their braided hair. So on graduation, I put a small braid in my hair and put a bell on the end of it. I also wore boots. Like a boss. XD lol I guess my whole theory with school was that if I put out as much of a geeky vibe as possible, poeple would just kinda see it as endearing. I think it sorta worked sometimes. haha

I did cosplay at a dance though! I wore the dress that Aeris wears in Final Fantasy VII in Wall Market, complete with her same shoes and a bow necklace. =) (This is seriously the best picture I could find...http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...068397_n.j pg it's just s super simple red dress, but I like it! It was just for homecoming, sooo....but good news! I have since then learned how to do makeup! Whoot!! )
At another dance, I wore a Victorian-y type dress... (http://hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphoto...867749_n.jp g)
And at prom, my mom made me a super gorgeous dress that was inspired by a fairy. Everyone told me that night how I looked like a fairy. This pleased me. XD (Here is a picture of me with my lovely friend Lourdes, and my friend Josh photobombing. http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...901638_n. jpg =] I like this picture because it accurate shows the color of my dress- I also had flowers and ribbons in my hair! Whee!!!)

If I had more dances to go to, I would've made Rinoa's ball dress from FFVIII, Ariel's sparkling blue dress, Sailor Jupiter's princess gown, the designer Rapunzel dress, and the gown that Anastasia wears to the opera. I'm sad that I never got the chance to do that...
COSTUMES IN PROGRESS:
Mercedes, Odin Sphere
Rapunzel (Ending Gown), Tangled
Codex, The Guild
Yuffie, Final Fantasy VII
Jane, Tarzan
Rinoa, Final Fantasy VIII
Fawn, Disney Fairies
Chocobo Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #10232
mdelgiorno17

My Ariel dinner dress pattern came in the mail yesterday! I have tomorrow and Thursday off, but I lack the money for fabric. I guess I should work on using up what's in my stash- I just really want to make my pink dress!!!
mdelgiorno17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #10233
jdoe7

In high school I wore a jack sparrow inspired outfit, complete with the eye makeup he wears, my boyfriend said I looked like a whore I still wore it though! I wish I would have done more back then, but I was too busy with color guard/marching band. But I've always been known as the girl who likes harry potter(my locker was full of pictures!)
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Facebook tumblr: Disney Personal Harry Potter
jdoe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #10234
kiggi

chocobo thats awesome!!

i wore some of the most generic dresses ever. but i made this, then chickened out wearing it.... and wore a generic blue dress
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/misc/pic.jpg
the only "dance" i got to dress up for was with the guy in the above pic (by bff since 4th grade) he was homescooled, and his parents did reenacting, and there was a ball... i am the one in blue, though i made the red dress too, which was supposed to be for me (in blue) but drama happened and i stepped aside.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...misc/pic01.jpg

(and for fun... http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/100_0949.jpg )
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #10235
candyintherain

For those that have made Rapunzel costumes, how would/did you go about making the bodice? I want to do a corset with boning, but I've never done it before and I'm nervous. I was thinking I would get a medium weight cotton (probably 97% cotton, 3% spandex) and then hand dye it and then paint the design on it. I know I would need interfacing and boning on the inside, and a lining probably too. Is there anything else I should know before attempting this?
candyintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #10236
kiggi

dont use spandex at all if you want it to hold you in and not deform. or if your fabric is thin, like mine, you layer that (stabalized) on coutil/duck cloth/light weight denim as an interior stablizing material. flatlining is going to be your friend. there are some good patterns, but you are going to have to alter it to make it fit you. best way to do this is:
cut out pattern pieces and shorten if you can/need to here, you can still do some later, but its easier if it isnt too much, cut it out of your coutil/duck cloth/denim and baste pieces together. use safety pins in the front to get the idea of how it fits, where it needs fitted. i use safety pins for the next step. while inside out, pull fabric till seems are where you want them, and pin to fit. when you finish, even up one side to another, and mark. trim to new seams, and now use those fabric pieces to make your fashion fabric pieces
this is after i fitted and basted on my new marks, to check fit, as you can see, there are a few pins where it needed to be taken in more. i hope this helps!! i used butterick 5662 and i removed 2 side pieces in fitting... here is it done:

i did shaping in the coutil so it was more what i was looking for

Last edited by kiggi : 11-15-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #10237
kiggi

oh, and mine is made with spiral steel boning, but i know some ppl like to use zip ties
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #10238
SilentCAt
Twisted Hi-def Fly girl

Kiggi- good job
Felicia Darkstalkers

----
Upcoming Con- TBA 2013
SilentCAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #10239
Rainypuff

Hey everyone I know have full-access to Cosplay.com and other baned sites like youtube and the Hub! The only good thing about being inpatient at a hospital...
Anyway, I'm adding a lolita version of Jolly Holiday Mary Poppins and Jane from Tarzan to my planned-cosplay list. I think I want to do Jane in her post-baboon-apocaclyse dress, all shredded and torn with dirt and messy hair and only one boot. I found this . website that seems to have really good costume shoes; they have some that would work for Jane as well!

(that link isn't showing up in the preview, so http://www.costumes4less.com/DAME-05...E05I_Prod.aspx
Rainypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #10240
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Chocobo, Kiggi- I love the dresses you wore to your dances! They're so unique! And Kiggi, I love the period dresses that you had.

Jill- I'm actually looking to get that pair of boots, but in a different color. I think that they would work for both of your Disney-inspired Lolitas.

I was able to cut some fabric last night. Yay! When I get back home, I'm going to try getting my sewing machine out of the area we have it stored. Its behind a ton of furniture, but I might be able to free it.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #10241
BriarRose88

No progress. Just slaving away at embroidery. But I wanted to share that I plan on making a smaller version of Rapunzel's dress for my Pascal plush out of the leftover fabric. I'm so excited. He's gonna look so precious!
BriarRose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #10242
ThePrincessMom

So tumblr girls...has tumblr been hacked or is it just me? lol
All the photos are gray boxes and to the side the little preview photos show a "censored" stamp over them. You can't see it, but at the top of the page (above the screen shot) it also said something like "stop the law will censor the internet"

ThePrincessMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #10243
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

LKD ~ Yeah Congress is trying to pass a bill that will censor the internet for americans. Its really stupid and there's no way it'll pass. I forget the details or where their site is but that's probably what its about.
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #10244
LKD
Is a princess!!

Hey XD Sasha, I wasn't aware I was theprincessmom's daughter LOL I don't mind at all
But yea that's kinda ridiculous how people are freaking out XD I want to throw the constitution at people or at least the bill of rights ._.; le sigh education these days

Hmm no Disney stuff for me..I'm waiting on my Tink wings..I check my email every day XD;
I'm debating on my fabric..apparently to order you need to call or fax your credit card info and that seems kinda shady to me...they said you can pay with a money order that seems the safest route..I guess I shall email them. >< Gotta wait sooo long Dx

I want to make this Alice I saw on tumblr;
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu...xb31o1_500.jpg
I'm not sure if I want to use a glitter velvet..hmm
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #10245
Faraday
oh modern man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySasha View Post
LKD ~ Yeah Congress is trying to pass a bill that will censor the internet for americans. Its really stupid and there's no way it'll pass. I forget the details or where their site is but that's probably what its about.
Yeah, here's the official petition for it: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...e-act/SWBYXX55 There's also one at change.com I think it was.
Basically any media that's copyrighted in some way can't be posted on the internet. Tumblr said it would shut down because it relies on people to post and share photos, usually of their fandoms and there's so many posts that they wouldn't be able to go through and look at every single one to delete them. Other sites that host videos, like Hulu and Youtube would also be censored.
And cosplay.com would essentially not exist either because we all dress up as characters someone owns.