Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 667 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #10381
kiggi

nessa: i hope she doesnt shred it like every other dress she owns and if it does last, there are 2 sisters below her to kill it
beni: that looks great, love the choice of yellow!
furie: thanks!!!
mdelgiorno17: nice!! you made that in a DAY?!?!? maybe volunteer in hospitals? especially where there are kids in long term care, (my sister is currently doing her pharmaceutics residency @ a childrens hospital. she spends a LOT of time there and did you know a lot of these parents dont even come see their kids for months? MONTHS! she has overheard parents basically saying they gave up on them... i think they could use a disney princess in their life- ive told her to stop telling me about this, because i want to take my days off and go hug each and every one of them, because i couldnt imagine if this were my child)
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #10382
mdelgiorno17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggi View Post
mdelgiorno17: nice!! you made that in a DAY?!?!?
Just the bodice and skirt! The linen shirt started out as part of an Assassin's Creed costume that never came about, and I threw some Rapunzel sleeves on it to wear under the bodice I made in a hurry for Halloween. I didn't really like the colors, fabric, or way I put that one together, so I've been on the look out for inexpensive Rapunzel-ish fabric. I found it a few days ago and then got a great response wearing Ariel the first night of the toy drive, and I told them that Rapunzel would be there today. After making that commitment, I had to stay up really late and make sure I had something wearable! The inside is a total wreck though- no finished seams or lining, and the skirt had to be tied on since I didn't make it to the waistband stage. I'm going to make sleeves, finish the inside, and add some embroidery and lace details.

I love that most of the princesses are recognizable even when you make inaccurate or original versions- I don't have the time, money, or patience to make the incredible accurate costumes that many of you constantly "wow" me with! I found some neat blue/mostly green fabric that reminded me of the forepart on Ariel's park dress, and I'm going to build a dress around it. I bought some blue moire fabric that looks watery and sort of coordinates with my sea green wavy fabric, but I'm not entirely sold on it yet. I'm hoping to finish up 25 felt crowns for a five year old's birthday party by Monday, and I want to start the Ariel dress after that. Who knows what other projects people will convince me to work on by then though!
mdelgiorno17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #10383
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to finish it up now! Its at the stage where you just want to stare at it in hopes that it will finish itself.

Roxie- In that case, I'll be letting you know first~

mdelgiorno- That's so sweet of you! What did the kids think of your Rapunzel?

kiggi- That's awful! I wonder if the parents know how much pain they put their children in by just leaving them. When I was younger, I was seriously ill a lot and spent a lot of time in the hospital. My mom was with me as much as possible and I wouldn't feel as bad when she was with me.
The dress that you made for the little girl however, is awfully cute! I'm so happy to hear that she loved it and had you and your family come to her party dressed up XD

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #10384
kiggi

beni, i wonder, i know shes sat in the room when the parents basically "left for the bathroom" right before the kid was going in for a surgery that could be fatal, and not say bye, just leave, and she was there to hold the kid as they were putting in ivs... there are tons of things she tells me and i end up in tears. i was in the hospital when i was little too (so was she...) and my parents basically never left us alone, they were there in shifts. but we were like 4 and 6 i think? i know i missed most of kindergarten. i too felt better when they were there! she said it has been harder to work there than any of the other places they had her work.

kayla was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy about that dress. apparently she has worn it every day since wednesday. (i love that she has red hair and wants to be ariel )
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #10385
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Kiggi- Those poor kids. Right now, both my sisters are slated for bone marrow transplants, so I can almost relate to the parents. Sure, its rough and I'm sure the parents are worried, but running away or ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. I also know from experience that as bad as things seem to be, finding a happy thought can make a big difference. *insert tons of examples*

That is so precious! I won't be surprised if she starts asking for more dresses XD

My deviantArt

Unread 12-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #10386
nessabutterfly

kiggi-- Ugh! my mom flew across the continent and to another country to be with me for my surgery! Can't imagine the parent of a CHILD abandoning them like that!
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #10387
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihime78 View Post
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to finish it up now! Its at the stage where you just want to stare at it in hopes that it will finish itself
I know that feeling oh so well! I was like that with Rapunzel and Ariel's wedding gown!

I have sooooooooo many cosplay making withdrawal symptoms its crazy but not having the money to get materials and stuff to do anything kinda stops me making sorting that problem out haha!

I have found (well my friend did) some really good clear plastic material for Vidia and Terrence's wings that is cheap, and she's done like a mock up for her Tink/Rosetta wings and says it works great especially once a frame gets used. So I'm really excited to start making wings haha!

Kiggi- those stories are heartbreaking! Makes me wish I could go to hospitals and bring some disney magic to kids!
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #10388
Kbelle

Beni - Love your dress! I'm totally following you on Tumblr now (I'm DisneyBelle1955). I should really start following everyone, as I missed the "post your Tumblr name" part of the thread, haha.

Those stories about parents leaving their kids kill me. I've only been kept over night once, when I got my gallbladder out, and my parents were there almost the whole time, only leaving when visiting hours were over (and I was 22). I really want to volunteer at hospitals with my costumes, but living in Anaheim makes me worried because of the proximity to Disneyland and all the legality issues...I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #10389
kiggi

the childrens miracle network hospitals seem to be sponsored by disney, so maybe that is a place to start?
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #10390
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Furie- Or at least have mice appear and finish it up? My sister sometimes calls me a "Cinderella mouse", but there are times I wish I had some XD

KBelle- Thanks! I'll follow you back~

Speaking of doing visits in the hospital, my mom has been talking to some of the people at Cincinnati Childrens' Hospital and they apparently want me to come and doing character visits in the hospital! I'm excited, but nervous since I've never done anything like this and its very rare that I have kids come up to me in costume. Its all just talk right now anyways.

My deviantArt

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #10391
WonderlandAlice

I've appeared at a couple children's hospitals before. It is such a wonderful experience to see children (of all ages) become so excited to see a character. My favorite memory came from visiting a children's hospital as Alice. When my friends (Mad Hatter and Queen of Hearts) were walking out the door, family was walking in. The girl, McKenzie, had been running late, but wanted to meet Alice. We talked for a while and took photos. I noticed she had flowers on her shirt, so I asked if she ever heard a flower talk. She said no. I told her that there was a reason why flowers won't talk in this world. In our world the flower beds are too soft and flowers are always sleeping. In Wonderland the beds are hard and they are always awake! She was so excited! I told her that now that she knew why, I needed her help to let other people know. She immediately said "Don't worry, Alice! I'll tell everyone I know! I'll help you!" EVERYONE was tearing up at the wonder of this girl. We said goodbye and as we were walking I kept telling my friends "keep it together....keep it together...she's still watching from the window....we'll cry in the car." All of us were fighting for the Kleenex in the car after that. I still remember that moment like yesterday. Here's a photo: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...type=3&theater

On another note. I came across a Vintage Disneyland group on Flickr. Have you seen some of these costumes???
Snow White: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4mojo/5...l-65461987@N00
Snow White: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6058594...l-65461987@N00
Wonderland: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3039973...l-65461987@N00
Cinderella: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana...l-65461987@N00
Tremaines: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana...l-65461987@N00
Fairy Godmother: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana...l-65461987@N00
Alice: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana...l-65461987@N00
Cinderella: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana...l-65461987@N00
Prince: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana...l-65461987@N00

How far costuming has come.....
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #10392
Aurora's Heart

Kiggi- That Ariel dress came out great. That is just horrible about the kids in the hospital. I just can't fathom that. I've seen bad parents come through my store before, but I think this takes the cake. It's just not right!!

Beni- Your Anistasia looks great and I completly agree about wanting costumes done. Sometimes I wish Tink would let me use her wand so I can get it done faster. LOL

Mdelgiorno- Love your Rapunzel and I'm glad you had such a great time.

WonderlandAlice- What an awsome story. It's nice when you can make a kids day like that. I also love those pics. Show how far the accuracy has come in costumes. I feel sorry for the Stepmother and Stepsisters from Cinderella. Those masks couldn't have been comfortable.

I have been slacking. Well, I've acctually been working like crazy. Shipment got all screwed up at work last week and it's not getting better for this week. Lets just say we've had set days for about three months now and suddenly they changed it on us. Whatever. Hopefuly I can get some work done on my Designer Rapunzel tomorrow.

Oh, did I mention it finally snowed!!! We got snow Thursday and early Saturday. It's currently snowing and the high tomorrow (Monday) is going to be 10 degrees. I guess I can't really complain as we are way overdue for snow.
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #10393
Faraday
oh modern man.

WonderlandAlice, I started collecting vintage Disney photos and moved on to identifying other character outfits as well, in case you're interested, here's the current collection: http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/r...troprincesses/
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #10394
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Beni- oh definitely! Little animal friends to help sew would definitely be nice sometimes! haha!

So... I cant start on my fairy costumes until the new year, so I continued some work of my Sif from Marvel's Thor series today instead. XD! Considering Disney bought Marvel, I guess i can mention it here lol
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #10395
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraday View Post
WonderlandAlice, I started collecting vintage Disney photos and moved on to identifying other character outfits as well, in case you're interested, here's the current collection: http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/r...troprincesses/
That's an awesome collection! Any chance you have that posted somewhere else, as well, or know some flickr equivalents? Photobucket murders my computer for whatever reason.