Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1058 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #10591
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

Mom bought the Gothel wig, now I just have to worry about fixing the dress to make the costume. Not sure how to do that at all, but I'm trying. I also made a little hooded cape for my Rapunzel costume since I'm wearing it to Sacanime which tends to be rather cold and kinda rainy sometimes. I used the same ribbon as I used for the trim, and the same lace from the underskirt. Pretty excited with how that turned out.

Also....I give up on the patterns. I ended up (pardon my french) half-assing them because I have little time, no stenciling and I'm doing it with fabric paint which does not work quite right. It looks OK but not beautiful or perfect. Maybe after this con I will go back and fix it, do it right, but for now, I'm dealing with a mediocre version.
Kairi School Uniform from Kingdom Hearts 2:100% done
Kairi zippered dress from Kingdom Hearts 2: 100% done
Garnet/ Dagger jumpsuit from Final Fantasy IX:100% done
Shiki from The World Ends With You: 100% done
Rapunzel from Tangled: 99% done
Padme Amidala White Jumpsuit from Star Wars Attack of the Clones: 50% done

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Kisala's "Light Suit" from Rogue Galaxy

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con

Last edited by FinalFantasyXKH : 01-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
FinalFantasyXKH is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #10592
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Soooooo I went and bought my wig for Megara! Woop! Hd to go for a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly different one (same colour just a teeeeeeeeeeeny bit lighter) as the original one i was looking at which wa perfect, had a full fringe which wasnt right for Meg, but this one I got turned out £3 CHEAPER and it had the right side parting bangs! I dont need Meg until April but I'm so eager to make Meg I had to buy the wig haha!
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #10593
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandAlice View Post
I have a wig for Sleeping Beauty and I don't know if it is heat resistant or not. I want to style her bangs which are long and meant to be swept to the side. Any styling suggestions for how to give them that curl without damaging the wig fibers?
Hairspray + blowdryer. I use Rave 4x hairspray for all my wig styling, and it holds very well. Saturating the curl with hairspray should be enough to keep the hair in the curl shape (rollers can also help), and should harden as you hit it with the blowdryer. (I've had only a few problems using the high setting on normal wigs, and none on heat-resistant wigs... if you have some spare fibers, maybe do a quick test to see if the fiber crimps or reacts at all when exposed to the high setting? Otherwise start with the low setting and just be careful and mindful of how the wig's behaving to the blowdryer.)

Once the wig has cooled down, you can mess with it a little. If you don't want a super stiff and hairsprayed curl, you can get in there with your fingers and separate the fibers some, which can help to soften it. Completely combing it out could leave you with a soft curl or wave, depending on the fiber.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #10594
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

FinalFantasy- Your progress looks great! I don't really remember how the ribbon sewing on my sleeves went, but it worked. And its so cool that your mom is going to be Gothel for you! Also, how are you doing the patterns?

Suzie- Hooray for progress! Are you going with her traditional movie look or are you doing more of a parks version?

Kojiro- I actually have since I have a group of girl friends that are all roughly 4'11" and I think it would be fun.

Mina- Welcome! Have fun in your Rapunzel cosplay! She's really popular and I know I always have fun as her~

korii, Wonderland- Thanks for all the help! I'm actually looking to do visits since I'm at a Ronald McDonald House right next to a children's hospital. Seeing as you two have both had really good luck with Snow White, I think I might make her costume. She was actually one of my first choices and I bought just about all the fabric already. Plus, I have the feeling I'd be more convincing as a smaller character(I already have Rapunzel to offer) Do any of you know where I can find a wig for her and for a relatively cheap price?

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #10595
WonderlandAlice

Beni: This is the wig I use now: http://www.voguewigs.com/full-fluff-...stume-wig.html Not the cheapest, but I love it.

The Lacey line has another fluff one that is cheaper: http://www.voguewigs.com/t-84-long-f...stume-wig.html.

Most people I've seen use a 1920's or flapper style wig for Snow White. Best of luck!
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #10596
Faraday
oh modern man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandAlice View Post
I have a wig for Sleeping Beauty and I don't know if it is heat resistant or not. I want to style her bangs which are long and meant to be swept to the side. Any styling suggestions for how to give them that curl without damaging the wig fibers?
I suggest rollers + warm water. I microwave water for 2 minutes and it gets it to just the right temperature to reform curls.
If you pour the water down onto the roller, you may have a problem with the roller slipping due to the weight/pressure of the water, so put it in a spray bottle and mist the hot water on it.
I found just using hairspray and a blowdryer doesn't always get the same results. The first time I did that to style my Snow wig and it just turned out kind of crunchy and the curls weren't as tight as they could've been. Mostly what you want to make sure you do is get the fibers warm and let them cool in the style you need them to be.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #10597
alice4ck
Lost in Wonderland

Man, you all make such wonderfully awesome costumes.. ^__^

And yes, I checked DeviantArt.com.. I have an account there.. They've got some pretty good reference cosplay pics.. For my Kim Possible cosplay pics, I'm gonna have to place them in the Disney section so people will at least see it.. :S but thanks for the help..

I've got all I need (black top with tan, comfortable pants) - I just need to get some tight gloves, and I have a hair blow-dryer for her graphing hook and lipstick for her laser lipstick.. Maybe I should make her Kimunicator.. ^^

Oh, and for my Alice cosplays, I got a 18 inch tall Pikachu pokemon plush.. He's so gonna be my substitute for the white rabbit - he's sooo cyute!
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #10598
protectorkorii

UchihaGirl- LOVE the Christmas dress. Good work! And a nice photo.

WonderlandAlice- have you tried hot water and curlers? Its supposed to work well... That or a gentle heat
from a blow dryer should work. I didn't know you got the Sleeping Beauty costume yet! (I'd be careful using a curling iron though. I used that for two of my wigs and pretty much burned it!)

FuriePhoenix- I can't wait to see your wig! I loved the first one, so though should look pretty good!

Beni- This is the Snow White wig I use and it works GREAT. It looks a lot like her parks one I think. If that's a bit out of your range I have a wig that i'm going to be selling. Its a one that I curled and stuff but it looks really good! So if your interested in that one PM me and I'll send you photos and stuff. (it'll be cheap I promise)
http://wildcatwigs.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=418
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #10599
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Beni- I know, crazy progress is crazy! For me, at least. ^.^ I am kind of mixing the two; I am using more regal-looking fabrics, taking color inspiration from both, and going with a more..."historical" look construction-wise. I'm using the Elizabeth Swann Simplicity pattern for the bodice to give it a more womanly look. :3
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #10600
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

@Beni- I'm using fabric paint.

PLANNED COSPLAYS

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #10601
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

So....its....kinda there. I let my grandma help a little and the sleeves are depressing. I'm not sure how to fix them.

Also, my cape.

ALSO I forgot I was the last person to post! Sorry for double posting!!!!!

And my life is complete. Thanks to an iphone and netflix, I can literally watch Tangled ANYWHERE I WANT!!!

PLANNED COSPLAYS

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con

Last edited by FinalFantasyXKH : 01-05-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #10602
Aurora's Heart

UchihaGirl- Love your Belle. I've always been tmepted to do her Christmas dress.

WonderlandAlice- I prefer Ausie Extreme hold hair spray. I use my own hair for Sleeping Beauty and this holds the curl in place really well. I'm sure you would probably get similar resluts with a wig. I don't know how a wig would differ from real hair, in this case, but I use a large barrel curling iron to angle my bangs on both sides, similar to Sailor Moon, and then take the side with the curl and shape it, anchoring with a bobby pin, then spraying the heck out of it. If heat scares you, I have used sponge rollers and mega hold gel with good results on wigs. You can get them in different sizes depending on how much curl you want. I used the large ones for my Megera curls. The medium sized ones might work the best for Aurora's bangs. Just experiment and don't be afraid to keep trying untill something works. That's how I usually approach wigs.

FinalFantasy- Your progress is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Suzie- Liking the Snow progress.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #10603
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

Benihime - Just for the record, the Fireside Girl dancers in the Phineas and Ferb Rockin' Rollin' Dance Party show at DCA all wear Mary Jane shoes that look like they've been taken from Alice in Wonderland's shoe closet... The real Fireside Girls in Phineas and Ferb wear what looks like brown shoes or sneakers except for one who has Mary Janes.

Last edited by kojirojames2004 : 01-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
kojirojames2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #10604
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

This is the wig I ended up buying instead of of the other one.. so very very similar to the original one i was looking at, the pics are from the seller not me:

As you can see, I just need to alter the side fringe to be accurate for Meg and it's heat resistant so I can make the little curls at the sides and on the end of the fringe too.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #10605
kiggi

final fantasy, what are the sleeves made of? Maybe a closer fit long sleeve (i used girls pink tights from target) would help the puff look puffy vs the fitted sleeve. Mine are 2 pieces and not connected the same so I'm not 100% sure looks good though!
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote