Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1146 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #10606
protectorkorii

Final Fantasy- Your costume is looking good so far! Love the cape. A tip for the sleeves? Depending on how much give you have, stuffing them with cotton really puffs them out. That's what I did for my Ariel costume and it worked great.

FuriePhoenix- That is such a great wig! It would work perfect for Vidia or Fawn too! Once you get photos I'd love to see what it really looks like. It looks really nice though. How much was it?

Just got back from JoAnns! I managed to get everything I need to make my Sleeping Beauty costume. The wig, fabric, and jewelry will all come to a total of about $90! Phew. Hope its worth it!

ALSO: this is going to be a costume with a laceup back so that it can fit me and other girls. Has anyone done a laceup back and/or have any hints for me?
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #10607
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Wonderland- Thanks for the wig suggestions. I might be able to work with the second one.

alice- You're welcome~ I actually made a KP costume for my sister, so I could help you and tell you what we did if you'd like
On the left: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5238295...57626241320433

korii- I like that one too, although I wish they had more pictures. I would like to see the wig that you're selling too.

Suzie- That sounds really pretty! I'm going to guess that you're going for a more grown-up version of her?

FinalFantasy- Try putting elastic in the sleeve bands where the parts meet. It should give the upper part the right volume. I actually did my designs with fabric paint and it worked well enough. I used a freezer paper stencil and then went around the edges with embroidery floss

kojiro- Thanks for the info! This group is just in the "Thinking about it stage", but it doesn't hurt to know these things.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #10608
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Korii- thanks! I know right! If only Meg's hair was black was Vidia's, then I could have used it for her too lol! I'm really excited to receive it now haha! Ill definitely photo spam the wig when I get it and share a photo or 2 on here! Something tells me, I wont be doing my other cosplay tomorrow (that needs to be done for next month) but editing my Meg dress instead i.e. dying it lol!

Last edited by FuriePhoenix : 01-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.
FuriePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #10609
LKD
Is a princess!!

Korii - if your going to have a lace back, you need boning or the seams will pull too much. I always add a channel right by the grommets and use interfacing on that part with the grommets. Nessa's awesome tip; Use an awl to make the hole if its an eyelet I stretch it with the awl, if ita a grommet I stretch it woth a knitting needle. Ribbons tend to work better to tie that cords simce it doesnt slip.

Sorry for the typos XD posting via cell

Sorry for spamming but my Belle wig came today I'm in loooove.
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #10610
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectorkorii View Post
ALSO: this is going to be a costume with a laceup back so that it can fit me and other girls. Has anyone done a laceup back and/or have any hints for me?
Boning channels on either side of the eyelets, and as many eyelets as you can stand to make/lace. That'll be secure, and limit the amount of pulling visible on the dress. A modesty panel attached to one side, unless you plan to make something in a matching color to wear underneath the dress. (I'm not sure of the proper way to make modesty panels, and have only done one once, for a corset, where I just tried to make an educated guess... I just attached a strip of fabric with totally hemmed edges to the inside of the corset, along the seam for the inner boning channel. I also put an extra strip of boning up the other edge of the panel, to help keep it in place when the corset was being laced.)
I use long shoelaces (ice skate laces are great) and haven't had any problems with them. I think you could probably dye white ones to match your fabric.
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #10611
protectorkorii

Beni- I sent you a PM that had photos of both the wig that I use and the one that I'm selling (aka what I used to use). So look for that!

Furie- I can't wait to see it! If it works out I may want one for myself to use for Fawn. I think if I just braid the ponytail it'll be PERFECT.

LKD- Do you mean bone all the seams or just bone the seam with the grommets in it? Because I wasn't planning on using boning. I was going to interface where I put in the grommets though.
Also, your belle wig looks so luxurious!

Ali- Can you explain to me what a channel is? I feel like I know and I'm just not using the correct terminology....
Instead of a modesty panel I'm making it a size bigger with a hidden zipper. The lace up back will pull it to fit nicely on me and the other 3 or 4 girls that may also have to wear it. I think that should work....
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #10612
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

You all need to watch this. No questions. Best song ever. (and I would think relevant)

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...lIUfIeAYv6Z0NQ
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #10613
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

I can try! Having some trouble putting it into words. A channel is just the space between two layers of fabric, with stitching on either side. If you attach a strip of bias tape or twill tape to your fabric, with lines of stitching down either side of the tape, the little space between the tape and your fabric is a channel that you can slide boning into.
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #10614
UchihaGirl
The Cosplay Mouseketteer

Thank you for the compliments on my Belle! I'm trying to think of how to do Poca, and the one strap that isn't really a strap. I'm thinking invisiable straps, cause I need the support....and also a built in corset.r
MegaCon, SWW, MetroCon, AFO, DragonCon, ShadoCon, Holiday Matsuri.

MegaCon Cosplay List

Merle
Giganta
2nd Doctor Aurora
UchihaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #10615
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Sasha- lol at that song, definitely relevant to us al i think lol
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #10616
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

ALRIGHT GUYS!! I am finally home, and I now have pictures of my costume and in my wig.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s... 123793_n.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s... 723793_n.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...3 64036_n.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...7 49596_n.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...9 93942_o.jpg

I do still gotta do the sleeves, but thank you guys for the help!!! I've been watching the movie (constantly. no joke. on my phone, on my computer, on the tv....) and I realized the poofiness of my sleeves are perfect. Her sleeves really are not that poofy. The long pink ones will be trimmed down I think, for me, but I will show you guys when I'm done.

My mom's gothel ensemble is going to be started today. How can I make this work?

Kairi School Uniform from Kingdom Hearts 2:100% done
Kairi zippered dress from Kingdom Hearts 2: 100% done
Garnet/ Dagger jumpsuit from Final Fantasy IX:100% done
Shiki from The World Ends With You: 100% done
Rapunzel from Tangled: 99% done
Padme Amidala White Jumpsuit from Star Wars Attack of the Clones: 50% done

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Kisala's "Light Suit" from Rogue Galaxy

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con
FinalFantasyXKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #10617
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

LKD- Love that wig for Belle!! Question... what do you do with the lace front when wearing lace front wigs?? I've always been confused by it lol.

FinalFantasy- your punzie is adorable. I dont know what to suggest about your gothel though
Unread 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #10618
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

FinalFantasy- My computer is being a brat and not loading the pictures, but I'll take Furie's word for it. And I like your take on Gothel!

LKD- Your Belle wig is beautiful and looks so natural!

Furie- I also like your Meg wig! Your costume is making me want to remake mine more!

And speaking of wigs, I think I may have found my Snow White one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Flappe...em43aac5 0bb8

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #10619
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Beni- thanks! I cant wait to receive it! I might dye my meg dress tomorrow whilst I have the morning early afternoon free. ^_^I also like that choice of a Snow White wig. Its perfect!
Unread 01-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #10620
nessabutterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectorkorii View Post

LKD- Do you mean bone all the seams or just bone the seam with the grommets in it? Because I wasn't planning on using boning. I was going to interface where I put in the grommets though.
You really do need to use boning beside the grommets. You can get away with just one piece next to each set of grommets if you don't want to put it on either side, but if you don't use any, your fabric will bunch up when you lace it. It'll be uncomfortable and unartractive. Luckily, even the cheap plastic boning from Joann is good enough for this purpose. They even have a lightweight one that you can sew through (looks like mesh) and you can just put that on the inside of the fabric and sew a single seam up it-- not necessarily ideal, but easier than channels (though they're really not hard at all).
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote