Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1047 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #10666
Aurora's Heart

Beni- That's about how long my hair is. Curious as to what Leia version you are going as. I have done all her looks, with my own hair, and had great success so, I might be of some help if you need. Anyway, maybe two wigs would be better, like some have suggested. I've never tried it before so I'm just guessing. As far as getting that much hair under a wig, I found a new trick when I used my Rapunzel wig. I bent over so my hair flowed down to the ground and brushed it into a pony tail on the top of my head. I tryed to get it as close to my hair line as possible. Then I seperated it into two sections and wraped each section around my head, getting the majority of the hair forward. I used a lot of bobby pins including the bigger ones and got it as flat as possible. I wore my hair like that all day untill I put my wig on, just make sure it was comfortable, and I had no issues. (my hair has a nasty habit of spitting bobby pins out) There was a slight bump in the front of the wig, but it worked nicely and the wig did not slip back like they usually do. Anyway, good luck with it and I look forward to the end result if you make it.

LadySasha- I agree with Beni. No to bonning in bodice, yes to bonning in corset. I didn't need any bonning in mine as it fit me really snug, not tight, just about right.

Hopefully I can go to Joann's tomorrow and get my Rapunzel material. I really need to get started on it as I'm sure it will have it's own set of issues, just like every costume does. I hate procrastinating to the last minute so, I'm gonna try and keep on a steady pace with this.

Unread 01-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #10667
WonderlandAlice

Beni, I don't know if this would help you, but this is how I pin my hair under wigs and mine (though not as long as your's, but then again, I'm a little taller ) is about to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

1. My hair is naturally wavy which adds volume to either I made sure my hair is wet, straight, or washed only the day prior so it is "flat" as possible.
2. I take the upper half of my hair and pull it back into a half ponytail using an elastic band. The half pony tail should rest just below the crown of your head.
3. The bottom half of my hair, not in the top half ponytail, I divide into two equal sections, left and right. Now you should have three sections of hair: right bottom, left bottom, top half ponytail hanging down the middle.
4. Choose left or right side section of hair. Pull the side and comb it straight up, like a troll doll. You are then going to place and pin your hair flat against your head. So this section of hair will be pulled straight up behind your ear, pinned, pulled against the top of your head, pinned, pulled behind your opposite ear, pinned, then pin any remaining hair horizontally underneath your top half ponytail. You may have to alternate the direction of your pins to keep any hair from sliding out of the section you are pinning.
5. Choose the remaining side part and repeat. Comb it straight up like a troll doll, pin flat behind the same side ear, pull it across the top of your head (over the other hair side you just did), pin, pull it down behind your opposite ear, pin, then pin any remaining hair horizontally underneath the half pony tail.
6. Now the only loose part is the pony tail. Take the end of the ponytail and pin it to the crown of your head just above the elastic you used. The ponytail is now "folded in half". Use as many pins as you like to pin the end of the ponytail, and I also pin the "fold" or what would be the middle of your ponytail, so that everything is flat against my head.
7. Pull wig cap on.

Tips: I use hair spray to comb through the hair in the direction I want it to go. Think of the half ponytail as providing a secure anchor for you to pin your hair. Since it should be held tight by the elastic, it is easy for me to pin the rest of my hair to it.

I'm not sure it this is helpful at all. This is the only way I have found which works with my hair. I have to get it under a Tinker Bell and a Snow White wig, and it's worked for me and my hair never shifts around til I take the wig cap off. The only thing I mess with it the position on the top half ponytail is to make sure it lies in such a way that is doesn't create in obvious bump in my wig. However, that only really happens when the ponytail is too high on my head or is sticking straight out from my head (like a full ponytail) rather than flat and angled downward.

Hope that helps!
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #10668
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

Sasha - All the bodices I've done over corsets generally extend past the corset on top, so I put plastic boning in the seams to help support it, and help keep the lines of the corset from showing through. But boning is pretty easy to add... you could try it without first and see if that works for you. It may!
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #10669
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Ali ~ Well in this case its more of a waist cincher than a corset and its' on the outside.

So I ended up not putting in the boning. (followed your guys' advice) and yeah it holds itself up pretty well now that I have it fitted. Though I had to break one of the seams because...well I made it TOO perfectly fitted (it was a doozy putting it on) and I couldn't get it off. I'm going to have a pic of this darned dress done (minus the pleated fabric) tonight. Just have to run and get a longer zipper. X.x So close...

::EDIT::

DD PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE! Granted it's not completely done like I said I wanted to do today but it's 4am and I'm tired. Really the only thing left is to actually sew the skirt to the bodice (its pinned right now) and dye the pleated fabric. But yay!

Last edited by LadySasha : 01-13-2012 at 03:11 AM.
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #10670
protectorkorii

Beni- your hair is so pretty!

Furie- I know I'm a little late to say it, but: i'd say don't spend the money unless you have extra and have extra time. I mean, you can always wear the costume again. So if you think you'll wear the cape for another colder time then it'll be good to have. but wait until you have everything else done and paid for!

LadySasha- It looks great! I really like the colors and the fabrics. Good work!

In cosplay news I bought a base dress for Tinkerbell and am finishing up altering the pattern for Sleeping Beauty.

Edit: Whoops forgot to add this, but this was a question I had. This is my Ariel dress and I love it to death, but the bodice always makes me look fat. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can fix that? Its already fitted to me, but somehow it makes me look a lot wider than I am. I think its the cut but I really can't tell or know how to fix it.

Ariel 3 by JS Princess Parties, on Flickr

Here are two more shots for refrence, but I won't post the picture.

Last edited by protectorkorii : 01-13-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: forgot to add...
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #10671
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Thanks guys for the advice- I think I'll definitely have it as a "if and when" item of clothing for gothel. Much appreciative of the advice!

Sasha- omg.. LOVE your designer punzie progress! Its gorgeous!!

I had a big doozie of a problem happen today. So.. I find my dress for Meg, I dye it... the lavender dye (should be the same color as my punzie bodice) comes out dark purple in places, lavender in others and looks like a tie dye job! GAH!!! So next week or whenever I've got to invest in color remover and try and strip all the color out of the dress and start again... but im worried about getting the same fabric dye color incase it goes dark purple again...
The dress after dying....urgh its so horrid looking....
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #10672
Faraday
oh modern man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectorkorii View Post
Edit: Whoops forgot to add this, but this was a question I had. This is my Ariel dress and I love it to death, but the bodice always makes me look fat. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can fix that? Its already fitted to me, but somehow it makes me look a lot wider than I am. I think its the cut but I really can't tell or know how to fix it.
Do you have boning in it? My Snow White top used to crumple up the same way so I took strips of the Home Depot zip ties and created channeling for them along the seams of my bodice. This is it afterwards. If you want it really to be more slimming you'd have to make the bodice even smaller.
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #10673
LKD
Is a princess!!

Furie- Did you wet your fabric before you put it in the dye? Also the marbled look is what happens when you dye fabric crumpled up in a too small container. Where do you dye it in?
Also after you remove the dye, use less dye and only keep it in until its like a shade darker than you want it. Most of what I dye I only have the fabric in for a few seconds or a few minutes, also the bottle of pink dye went through 5 dye jobs XD I'm so frugal I use as less as I can get a away with
Unread 01-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #10674
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKD View Post
Furie- Did you wet your fabric before you put it in the dye? Also the marbled look is what happens when you dye fabric crumpled up in a too small container. Where do you dye it in?
Also after you remove the dye, use less dye and only keep it in until its like a shade darker than you want it. Most of what I dye I only have the fabric in for a few seconds or a few minutes, also the bottle of pink dye went through 5 dye jobs XD I'm so frugal I use as less as I can get a away with
@Furie: ^^^^^ that. she pretty much said everything I was going to. Less dye, shorter time. ALWAYS presoak fabric, use a roomy container.
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #10675
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

thanks guys! I only used my usual bowl as I wasn't sure if mom would allow me to use the bath to dye it in, (she gets funny about things like that), so it's pretty much down to the crumbling i think, but i dont think you can buy that dress anymore as i got it about 2 or 3 years ago. So would color remover be a good way to go for fixing it? Also, what shade of fabric dye should i use for it? As I'm a bit dubious about using lavender purple now

I'll definitely remember that technique of only leaving it in for a few seconds/minutes instead of the recommended time on the packet ^_^
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #10676
Rainypuff

Okay so this is a lot later than it should be, but I wanted to thank my Secret Santa so much for the amazing gifts! The notebook is GORGEOUS as well as the pin~ I was so excited that I started making a return present instead of my own SS gift xD

I received a Legend of Zelda lanyard for Christmas so now I have something amazing that I can show off my love of LoZ AND Disney! New pin lanyard ;D I have a few pins already, but none are quite as gorgeous as Cinderella's pumpkin carriage!
And the picture on the notebook is actually a dress that I want to cosplay. I'd seen the artwork in the book "Art of the Disney Princesses" at one of the gift shops and I've seen in on DeviantArt, but could not for the life of me relocate the picture to use as a reference! I'll probably never write in the little journal because, although writing in it IS its purpose, it's just too pretty and I'd like to not do something that would damage it. I put pretty things on shelves so as soon as I get home and back to Florida, I willhave to put it somewhere safely on display where the cat can't get to it (which will be a trick lol).

I wonder how much a plexi-glass display case would cost... ;D

All in all, I love it! Thank you Aurora's Heart! <3
Rainypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #10677
kiggi

disney on ice was great!! i didnt end up dressing up because it was like 12 degrees, ben and emma did though, so cinderella and pascal were represented. i wore a tiara though and a rapunzel inspired dress (inspired is a loose term, it was purple and a circle skirt...) i am still sitting here in my tiara didnt get a chance to buy anything, oh well but that was more due to 2 very sleepy toddlers than anything. i loved how they dealt with her hair!
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #10678
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Thanks for the hair compliments and wig wearing tips everyone! Usually, I just put it in a low, loose ponytail at the base of my neck, slick the front back and some of the rest back with gel, put the wig cap on, squish the hair around until its even, pull the wig on, squish some more, and bobby pin the heck out of the wig.

Aurora- I'm thinking of going for the infamous "slave Leia" look. Yes, its overdone, but I still like it. I just have to get comfortable with my body first(read: fit). In the meantime, that gives me enough time to grow my hair out more. I also like her Bespin outfit with the long coat.

Sasha- Its so prettttty! Can you get a closer picture of the rhinestone job? I won't get to see this for myself anytime soon, so I'd love to see as many pics as possible.

kiggi- That sounds like fun! How did they deal with her hair?

And since I also plan on doing a cosplay of shoomlah's historical Jasmine, I decided to look for jewelry that I could use. I wound up finding this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619
Its at a really good price, so I'm seriously considering it. I could probably even convert the necklace into her headband/crown.
(and Roxie, I PROMISE I'll wear the wig you sent me sometime this year!)

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #10679
kiggi

beni: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150583051355469 https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...l =1a4ffad68c
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #10680
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Everyone's stuff looks fantastic!! 8D I'm jelly of all the progress!!

I've just picked up where I left off on Rapunzel- I'm about to start drawing the stencil for her skirt.

Again, I must say I AM SO SORRY to my secret santa giftee. You're probably the only person who has yet to receive your gift, so you probably know I'm your lazy slacker of a gifter. :C I promise you will have your present by the end of January!!