Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 973 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #10801
kiggi

wonderland, afa kids makeup, stick to things that are for sensitive skin, as kids react different to makeup than adults. dont use loose powder, it can get in the lungs, because kids arent as careful. you can always research the brand, just because it isnt widely known doesnt mean it isnt made by someone who is.
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #10802
WonderlandAlice

Nessa- I've used a curling iron set on a low number before on my Alice wig. The curl does not last. When I went to curl it again on the same setting (weeks later) it singed the fiber and it fell nearly straight. It is a heat-resistant wig. I don't really have room for error on these wigs. They aren't being trimmed. They just need their bangs curled/volumized and one of the wigs already has the length styled into loose curls, so I won't be pouring any water over them. I saw a tutorial using hairspray and a steamer, which is why I wondered how hot the water actually needed to be. Back to researching.

Kiggi- Thanks for the help! I don't want any loose powders and I'm applying with disposable applicators. I just don't want to buy any cheap product that wouldn't be safe or not hold the vibrancy I'm looking for.
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
WonderlandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #10803
Faraday
oh modern man.

Nessa- I'm still pullin' for ya!

Alice- I usually microwave my water for two to two and a half minutes. I don't apply the water when it's bubbling so I usually wait till that dies down and it's steaming (which takes the amount of time for me to remove it from the microwave and walk to the bathtub where my wig waits). But I know everyone's kitchenware is different and have their own temperaments, god only knows why all my cupcakes come out crispy, so just make sure you're wearing an oven mitt when handling it. It also helps if you have hollow rollers to ensure even saturation.
The only damage I've had is if I have metal pins holding the rollers in because those get hot and retain the heat longest.
You can also use the steam button on your iron but that may take awhile, haha

Last edited by Faraday : 01-27-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #10804
WonderlandAlice

Faraday- Metal pins! Totally didn't think of that, but makes perfect sense. Thanks, I'll give it a go next week when I buy supplies.

Oh....and has anyone else wondered what kind of products go into kids dress up/makeup kits? I saw a disney princess and a fairy makeup set in Walgreen's. I had to look twice to see that the makeup was usable and not just painted on the trays! I remember having Barbie makeup when I was little....the lipstick tasted awful!
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #10805
kiggi

oh i have often wondered, i have a niece who loves to dress up, her mom is so paranoid her "play" make up is from sephora.

this looks like a good tip:
It’s best to buy healthier makeup products for yourself and your kids. Look for product that are made with plant-based colorants and petroleum alternatives—for instance, beeswax, castor oil or shea butter—as synthetic FD&C colorants and petroleum byproducts are possible sources of lead. To learn how to recognize safer products when you shop, read Beauty Secrets; it offers label-reading tips and lists what ingredients to avoid.

Since minerals are usually the only ingredients used in glitter powders, mix their favorite glitters with some body lotion or aloe vera gel so it doesn’t pose an inhalation risk (it also prevents tiny glitter particles from getting into eyes and causing irritation). Don’t buy glitter sticks, though they may not contain lead, they often do contain other chemicals that shouldn’t be used on kids, including parabens and glycol ethers.

good luck! 1/2 of me is glad i dont have a girl... the other 1/2 is sad i cant make 100000 princess dresses
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #10806
protectorkorii

faraday- Oh no! I hope you'll feel better soon and that it won't be too bad!

tarinalove- if you have a short green dress, kind of like the spring dresses out there, you can wear that over top of the skinny jeans! If not a loose top would probably work nicely since she's flowing and nature-y. ... if that makes sense.

Wonderland- For kids dressup kits tutus are perfect. You can buy them or make them really easily with tulle (just google it). Then of course, crowns, fairy wings, and wands. Those little fake princess highheel shoes are always good too - though its hard to move in them. Princess capes are a good idea too. You can probably get most of the stuff from the dollar store and it'll work fine.
You can also make/buy mermaid tails. They just tie on in the front and the back looks like a mermaid tail! i was actually thinking of making a few of them myself...

As for makeup I'm not sure exactly what you want. when I've gone to parties people seem to have the creamy type of make up though- at least htat's what comes in the kits!
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #10807
WonderlandAlice

No kid dress up kits for me! lol I'd never be able to get in and out of events remotely gracefully!

Makeup, I am doing more research. I came across that article that you quoted kiggi!
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #10808
kiggi

faraday, i feel horrible i missed your post! i hope the surgery goes well and everything is fine! here is to a speedy recovery!

wonderlandalice, yeah there are a lot of articles on safe make up, i am super sensitive to it so i have to buy the expensive stuff, but thankfully i barely wear it, i cant for work, well, i CAN, but its not advised... polishing compound sticks to it and gives you a very grey look
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #10809
nessabutterfly

wonderland-- I have done just the bangs by pouring water-- you gather the rest of the hair back securely, hold the wig-head at an angle so that there is no other hair even with or below the bangs, and pour carefully and slowly.

It sucks that you had such bad luck with the curling iron. Have you tried unplugging it and letting the hair cool on the iron? Unlike human hair, it needs more than just heat-- it needs to stay still while it cools. I often use a hot air curler and turn it on in bursts. The best part is that it cools really quickly, so as soon as the hair feels warm, I turn it off, then hold it in position for about a minute (could take up to 5 minutes for a regular iron to cool. Blowing on it would speed it up).

But I have definitely heard the best reviews on the steam method. I haven't done it myself though.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #10810
Aurora's Heart

Furie-Love the Meg wig and makeup test. I used mega hold hair gel and sponge rollers to get ringlets in my Padme' (Star Wars) wig. It's also how I get my real hair to curl for Aurora as no curling iron will make my hair hold it's curl for more than two hours, if at all.

Faraday- Hope your surgery goes well and you can occupy yourself well during recovery.

Wonderland Alice- I've used both store brand (mostly Cover Girl) and theater make up (Ben Nye brand) for my costumes. I'm not sensitive to make up, but a friend of mine was and we discoverd it the hard way when trying to make her green for a Fiona cosplay. We used generic green makeup and she got a red rash. Next time we tried it, I got the expesive stuff and she was just fine. Natural makeup may be the best way to go with kids, but I think you've got it covered. Good luck with your resurch.
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #10811
Poody
All Rise!

I got pretty much all the fabric for my Peter Pan costume today! yaaaaaaaaay!!!!

..............-NYAH!
My Facebook, yo!
Poody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #10812
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Aurora- thank you! And thanks for the tips!

Poody- yay for you! Looking forward to seeing your Peter Pan cosplay! ^_^
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #10813
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Faraday ~ D: I hope the surgery and everything goes well! Good thoughts your way for sure!

Poody ~ YAY! Cant' wait to see it!

So by Feb 19th I'll have had made 4 disney costumes. Designer Rapunzel and Jasmine, Gaston and Clayton (well I don't think that one can be counted as "made" since most of it is store bought stuff but w/e).

So much to do so little time. X.x
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #10814
PetiteAltesse

Hey guys! Been forever since I commented on here.

Steampunk Peter Pan and Hook as been put on hold for now. We want to redesign everything. That and we're working on new costumes for an upcoming convention in April that have completely wiped away our desire to costume as Pan and Hook. My fiancee will have a new Hook come May for the Renaissance Festival, but until then... not so much.

However! The new costume I'm making is Disney related: I'm making Rinzler from Tron Legacy.

Here are some WIP shots:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3143365/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3143366/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3143367/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3143368/

I'm so excited! This has been a dream costume for me since the movie came out. I never thought I would be able to do it, and yet there it is! 65% done. I can't wait to finish it!

Last edited by PetiteAltesse : 01-28-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding links.
PetiteAltesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #10815
TheAngryTeacup

OMDisney! I haven't been up here for a looong time, but I do secretly read your guy's posts! And love everything! I'm so glad this thread is still booming with magic!

I just wanted to post some updates of my Ariel cosplay. It's been up for a while on my DA and Tumblr, but I thought it would be nice to show you guys too!

Right now, all I have is the wig --I recently got done with the ENTIRE Day Outfit and hope to do a photoshoot with it all on soon. . . hopefully. But my wig has been updated, I hope you like it! Ariel FTW!

Tumblr

Up-coming Cons:
GAARA (Normal Battle Suit) 10%
Thumbelina 5%
Sora (KHII) 0%
TheAngryTeacup is offline   Reply With Quote