Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1051 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #11716
ThePrincessMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessabutterfly View Post

I was supposed to be home from my surgery yesterday, but I had a bowel obstruction that finally cleared this morning-- now I'm actually starting to recover, so I should be home tomorrow. 5 days in hospital-- ugh.
Oh no - prayers for you to get better soon!
ThePrincessMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #11717
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Sasha- Yeah, but I'm making it! Thanks for the well wishes. As for the grommets, I like what Aubree did on her Rapunzel eyelets, so I decided to try it myself. I can't wait, either! I'm super excited! I'm glad things are starting to come together on it- I'm SICK of making flowers! I think I'm at 25 now? haha!
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #11718
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Blue View Post
Sasha- Yeah, but I'm making it! Thanks for the well wishes. As for the grommets, I like what Aubree did on her Rapunzel eyelets, so I decided to try it myself. I can't wait, either! I'm super excited! I'm glad things are starting to come together on it- I'm SICK of making flowers! I think I'm at 25 now? haha!
That DOES look really nice! Such a great idea too X.x And 25? Good lord.

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #11719
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Dolewhip- my wigs come from either wigfever or wigglamour and their wigs are AMAZING seriously! If it was me, I'd go with the second one from wig fever as it already has side bangs which will be easier to put in place for Ariel, where as the first one will be a b**ch to get side bangs into and will cost you a lot more work as well as money. I really cant recommend wig fever wigs enough! Also, i think that second wig is heat resistant so you can put waves into it? *trying to give advice from memory*

Sasha and Suzie- thank you!
Suzie- it was a lot easier than I anticipated actually! You should give it a shot! It's so much fun to wear too as I feel like I've gone back into the 50s haha!

I've pretty much finished my dress- I'm just gonna wait for mom to put in the zip at the back for me as I'm hopeless with zips. lol! I went with a contrasting baby blue jersey fabric for the halter neck straps and I think it brings out the blue in Cinderella's and Snow's dresses perfectly, and for a first try at something not cosplay related I'm pretty darn proud of this! I think I'll wear it on Saturday when I get my Ariel tattoo done on my calf!

Oh yeah... a friend of mine bought me an Ariel inspired bow that her friend made as a surprise to cheer me up, pic really doesn't do it justice:
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #11720
nessabutterfly

I'm home from the hospital now and feeling really good-- almost no pain-- just dizzy.

Furie-- I love how the dress turned out-- it would be really cute with a little petticoat under it too.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #11721
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessabutterfly View Post
I'm home from the hospital now and feeling really good-- almost no pain-- just dizzy.

Furie-- I love how the dress turned out-- it would be really cute with a little petticoat under it too.
thank you. I thought that too today! I found some dark pink netting that has little gems on it, thinking of turning that into a little petticoat to wear underneath it ^^
Unread 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #11722
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Nessa- I'm so glad you're doing well! I know spending all those days in the hospital had to be miserable! I feel you on the dizziness, though! The hydrocodon makes me super dizzy.

Furie- You're welcome!

Sasha- Isn't it, though? But yeah, the first 10-15 just broke apart (the clay I had was not suitable for the flowers' structure), and the last 5 messed up at the glazing process. The 5 I just made are surviving, though! Hopefully I'll be able to finish them up tonight.

Not much cosplay progress for me since I've pretty much been unconscious for the past 2 days. That or I'm too dizzy to move much. I have been working here and there on the flowers and a little on embroidering over the grommets, but that's about it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to make some real progress!

Speaking of Thumbelina stuffs, I want to get new fabric for her skirt. I watched Thumbelina a couple days ago and realized that my fabric is too dusty/powdery blue for her (I picked out the fabric while looking at screencaps from the "Soon" sequence and her skirt looks a lot bluer there. :/). I'm thinking about going with peachskin, either this one, or this one. I love the drape of peachskin- I think it will be perfect for Thumbelina. But dat stuff is $9/yd! Which isn't horrible, I'm just broke at the moment.

Last edited by Suzie Blue : 07-26-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Suzie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #11723
MalteseLizzie

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3253927/ Finished my Rapunzel costume: i just finished sewing the lace on to the sleeves.
Overall I'm very pleased with it. I wish the icon would show up, by cosplay.com or Google CHrome is being a pain and won't show it.

Alternatively, order an accessory or some clothing from my Etsy store.

Etsy Deviantart Blog
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #11724
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Maltese- that's super adorable!
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #11725
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Furie ~ That dress is adorable! And so is that bow!!

Nessa ~ So glad you're feeling better & that you're home!!

Suzie ~ Those have been some pesky little flowers huh? Well I hope the latest batch works out for you! And for the fabric I'd say the first one.

MalteseLizzie ~ That looks great!! Wonderful job!

Okay totally not entirely Disney related but I know some of you follow me on tumblr. I changed accounts because I was having issues with my other one. My new account is kiwiiprincess.tumblr.com I was able to find some of you to refollow but I think I'm missing a few.

::EDIT:: I HAVE PROGRESSSSSS (finally)DDDD SO I ORDERED MY AIREL WIGGGG!!! I'm so excited!!! I ended up going with this one: WIGGGGG I have a blonde version of this that I adore so I figured this one will be good for Ariel. (I hope)

I also turned said blonde wig into a Cinderella wig (I need to do SOMETHING Disney related) it was actually a lot easier then I thought it would be. Definitely easier then Belle was X.x. Though I had to flip the bangs back vs cutting them because I need this wig in its original state for another costume through November. It was kind of lopsided on the wig head when i styled it and I didn't realize so I need to shift everything over and I only had a crappy flip phone camera but yeah:

though when I go to do my Dream Along With Mickey version I'm going to use a different wig and the method is going to be different too (working on collecting reference for that)

EvilCon 2014 - TBD

Facebook * Deviantart

Last edited by LadySasha : 07-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Unread 07-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #11726
SylverAngelJ

Hi! New member here, though I've been half stalking this thread for the past almost year or so-- since sometime before last Halloween when I got the crazy idea that I could make a costume in a couple of weeks (which didn't happen!) I honestly feel like I'm being a bit of a copy cat and doing Rapunzel like so many others are doing, but she's just an awesome character and I loved the movie But anyway, sorry up front, after writing this I realized just how long my post was!

This will only my second costume to actually make (fourth costume of any sort since I was a kid trick-or-treating) so I feel almost a bit out of my depth-- I know I don't have time (GenCon is less than a month away now!) to do all the little details but hopefully I can at least pull off something decent. I've got most of my materials and plan on cramming in a ton of work this weekend to get at least the sewing done, but we'll see how far I get. Being still mostly a beginner (I hadn't sewn anything since 8th/ 9th grade until last year) it's slow going and making things up as I go (within reason of course) has been a trial.

I have a couple questions that I was hoping maybe to get some advice on, unless it's preferable to post as a separate thread instead of asking in here? To start with, I used the front panel from Simplicity 1819 http://www.simplicity.com/p-7517-mis...k-costume.aspx (bought for a future costume or two) as my skirt panel-- which seems to work out pretty well-- other than the fact that I completely overestimated the size of the panel (on purpose, though) and with 7 panels, that's 2 panels too big! I wanted the fullness of the skirt, though, and so I took a look at some store-bought skirts I own that were constructed of panels. A couple of them had top width to bottom width ratios (per panel) of about 1:3. I'm worried the top will be too tight (and I didn't want to deal with a zipper, so I planned on elastic or a drawstring) if I cut them that small at the top-- did anyone else actually look at the ratio there to make sure they got the fullness in the skirt? Or is that just crazy me trying to overanalyze how on earth to fix the giant skirt I have and there's actually an easier way to figure it out?

I am happy with how my overlay turned out, though I think I need to narrow the front panel like the rest. I had the hardest time finding fabric that matched at Joanns and other local fabric stores and ended up changing my color scheme several times in the process-- I finally got what I liked for the patterned fabric from fabric.com but the front panel is a really thin crepe jacquard and so had to go on top of the purple flannel-backed satin I got for the rest of the skirt (which I realized last night is going to be so much _fun_ to wear in the heat of August in Indianapolis with how the temperatures have gone this summer so far.) My color scheme is definitely more purple than pink, but that suits me just fine If it works, I'll attach a pic I took last night of just the skirt front, as well as my fabric choices, which somewhat don't blend as well as I'd hoped, but I still like them!

My second question has to do with boning in the bodice. For that, I decided on Simplicity 2757 (which I think I've seen other people use, too? http://www.simplicity.com/p-1702-misses-costumes.aspx ) I was hoping to make it actually more corset-y to accommodate body shape, but just came to the realization that you can't lace the front up tightly or it won't look right. So, I'm glad I made it a size bigger than my mock up (so I'd have the bigger seam allowances) so I can make sure it fits nicely. Did most people that used boning use coutil or something else to make their bodice strong? Or just put it in between the outer and lining fabrics? I'm going to attempt to use zip-ties (I didn't want to spend the money on steel when it was a first attempt) and planned on using canvas (again, the money on a first attempt) as my strength layer, but since that pattern didn't call for boning, I'm kind of using all the online corset tricks I've been reading up on to make up adding it as I go, with an outer, strength, and lining layer. I'm just not sure what the best method is for doing the seams is-- I suppose if I'm not going to be lacing the bodice up tightly, just ironing them flat won't put too much stress on the seams? But anyway, any and all advice or info on how anyone else did their boning I would greatly appreciate!

Since this is coming down to crunch time, I thought maybe asking here might get me some pointers to take home and see what I can accomplish. Thanks in advance and I look forward to actually participating in the discussion now instead of just lurking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rapunzelfabricsmaller.jpg (179.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rapunzelskirtnoflashsmaller.jpg (184.8 KB, 0 views)
SylverAngelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #11727
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Sasha- I'm now following your new tumblr! And HOLY CRAP that pic of you in your Cindy wig is so cute! I really like how you styled it, too; not a lot of people get the right look when they style Cinderella wigs. ^.^ Also, I have that shirt. And yes, those flowers have been horrible to deal with but alas, they are finally done!

Although I'm slowly recovering, I still feel pretty much like poo and don't have the mental capacity to accomplish a lot. I had hoped to have Thumbelina finished up by this weekend, but with me feeling like crap & needing new skirt fabric, that definitely isn't going to happen!
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #11728
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Blue View Post
Sasha- I'm now following your new tumblr! And HOLY CRAP that pic of you in your Cindy wig is so cute! I really like how you styled it, too; not a lot of people get the right look when they style Cinderella wigs. ^.^ Also, I have that shirt. And yes, those flowers have been horrible to deal with but alas, they are finally done!

Although I'm slowly recovering, I still feel pretty much like poo and don't have the mental capacity to accomplish a lot. I had hoped to have Thumbelina finished up by this weekend, but with me feeling like crap & needing new skirt fabric, that definitely isn't going to happen!
I was very surprised at how little it fought me...besides the whole lopsided thing but that was just a novice mistake of not checking where I pinned my wig (tiredness + excitement = lopsided wigs?). Maybe it's the universe telling me I chose the right costume to do for Mega? And this shirt is one of my favorites!!!

Well the last flowers you posted look positively lovely (the ones I saw on FB)! I really hope you start feeling better soon =/ I'll be sending positive health vibes your way!

EvilCon 2014 - TBD

Facebook * Deviantart
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #11729
MalteseLizzie

Now that my Rapunzel costume is done, I'm going to need a wig. I really can't afford to make to long blonde hair, so I'll be doing the short haired version. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to a short brown wig (ideally kanekalon fibres)?

Alternatively, order an accessory or some clothing from my Etsy store.

Etsy Deviantart Blog
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #11730
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

So does anyone have a wig recommendation for Meg from Hercules? I'm toying with the idea of doing her "historically accurate" version (because I've been sewing so many chitons for Pennsic, that whipping up one more is no issue at all). But I'm not at all sure where to start with a wig that would work. ideas?

Upcoming Costumes
Alibaba - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
H/A Elsa - Frozen
Yunan - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote