Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 191 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #11761
kiggi

and if you go with spiral steel a great place to get it is tutu.com they are SUPER reasonable and it's a great product (so is like everything on there, I love that site) it's under "notions"
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #11762
nessabutterfly

Or you can cheap out and use cable ties as boning. They do the job as long as your channels are perfectly straight (can't use them on princess seams). I always make my boning channels in the lining so they don't show.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #11763
Sharnie

http://www.aussiecorsetsupplies.com/...-steel-boning/
Will these be okay? i'm so sorry for bothering you all the time. But my mother is making me very nervous. She caught me at the fabric store on tuesday and has been telling me not to waste my time/money because i've only made one thing before and i'm going to fail in this endeavor. So I have to prove her wrong.
Belle's provincial blue dress - for myself - started.
Kida - for my sister
Snow White - for myself
Sharnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #11764
nessabutterfly

That should work. If you have the time, I would sew up the lining -- at least basted-- and mark the channels before you order the boning-- so you can get accurate measurements on the lengths you need. I ordered mine before I started for my Elizabethan corset and half of them were the wrong length.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #11765
viviandress
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessabutterfly View Post
That should work. If you have the time, I would sew up the lining -- at least basted-- and mark the channels before you order the boning-- so you can get accurate measurements on the lengths you need. I ordered mine before I started for my Elizabethan corset and half of them were the wrong length.
I like elizabethan cosplay, and found lots of them here:
http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%D2%C1%C0%F6%C9%AF%B0%D7corset&initiative _id=staobaoz_20120802

and choose one as follow:
1.http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=2569907354
English Version:
http://www.buychina.com/products/2569907354
2.http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm...&id=6140833897
english version:
http://www.buychina.com/products/6140833897

How do you think about it?

said it can be paid by Paypal.
viviandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #11766
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Sharnie ~ We are all more then happy to help you out however you need!

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #11767
Seifer-sama

@ Kiggi: I totally understand. I hope things get better for you very soon. Keep on working on your Cindy, I am sure it will be amazing. And thanks! I am only almost done with the skirt, but the bodice shouldn't take long to embroider, especially after how complicated the skirt was. :P

@ LadySasha: I have actually never used steel boning before, but after watching your video I will give it a shot! It was much smaller/thinner than I expected, but it really seems to make a big difference. The plastic stuff bends too much in my opinion.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #11768
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

guys seriously need some motivation to get her next Ariel project done... but a friend of mine showed me this fabric for an original project of hers, and thought this could be a good fabric to use for the fluke of my parks inspired/walkable/party suitable tail? Second opinions would be nice, i'm thinking of mixing up the disneyworld and (its either) tokyo/hongkong fluke design... like the colors of disneyworld's but the layers of the other park? If that makes sense?
http://www.tissufabrics.co.uk/fabric...sey-lycra.html
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #11769
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Seifer - it's scary at first but once you start using it....GUH its just the most amazing thing!! The plastic boning is fine (my Christmas Belle dress uses Nessa's suggestion of those big zip ties). But the spiral boning is definitely my fave.

Furie ~ That fabric is gorgeous! Love the color!!

EvilCon 2014 - TBD

Facebook * Deviantart
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #11770
kiggi

sharnie, we will help you prove your mom wrong. no one should ever feel like they cant do it!!! you are so not bothering us at all that is why we are here to help each other

anyone have some sewing mice? just figured id ask soooo many costumes!!! 58 days.
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #11771
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Sharnie- The fabric you linked to isn't velvet, as far as I can tell, it's just cotton fabric (Like what a quilt or a button-down shirt would be made with). I know that JoAnn's and Hancock's stock velvet on their websites, but it's like $25/yd, which is hefty, but the fabric is BEAUTIFUL. If you want to go cheap and still get a really good appearance, you can get velour. Actually, my Snow White bodice is made with fabric that I salvaged from a velour dress I found at Goodwill. It looks really nice and you really can't tell it's not "real" velvet. I have a ton of it left and would be more than willing to send it to you for free!

As for boning, it's really not difficult. I was scared of it when I made my Briar Rose corset, but really it wasn't hard at all. (Also, I made it when I was a n00b sewer, and it turned out pretty well!) I use Nessa's method of using cable-ties (you can find them in the hardware section at Walmart)- they're super-cheap and work great! I haven't used steel boning so I don't know anything about them. If you're nervous about it, I suggest just using the cable-ties. Also, the pattern you're using will tell you how and where to put in the boning. That pattern requires you to sew in boning channels (which is still easy!). I did something similar for my Thumbelina corset. I used 1/4" double-fold bias tape that I pressed the center fold out of, pinned, and stitched to the lining. It looked something like . So, essentially, what you'll have are strips of fabric sewn to your lining material to create "casings" for the strips of boning. However, the boning channels on your bodice won't be quite this regular.

And, again, you're not bothering anyone! We're happy to help! And nobody ever learns from not trying- there's no reason you can't do this! Also, I'm happy to be such an inspiration to you! ♥

Last edited by Suzie Blue : 08-03-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Suzie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #11772
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

sasha- ^_^ Yeah I love the color too!

Soooooo as I had another commission for another Ariel wig, I managed to get myself new metallic green lycra for my new tail for September's birthday party (and one I can finally put more effort into and like) this morning yay! Also, got the first session of the coloring for my ariel tattoo booked in for the 16th august. woooo!
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #11773
Sharnie

Hi Suzie, I wish I could buy things from Joann's, but I don't think we have any in Australia. I'll check spotlight and lincraft for velour this tuesday.
Belle's provincial blue dress - for myself - started.
Kida - for my sister
Snow White - for myself
Sharnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #11774
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Furie ~ Yay wig commissions and fabric and getting tattoos colored!

Do any of you know any good tutorials on how to do a cindy wig?

Also I totally forgot to mention there's a pretty big group of us going to Disney On Ice: Rockin' Ever After on Sept 9th! I'm SOOOOOO excited! I've always find out about them being in FL like a week after they're gone! I think I'm going to do a casual Ariel and have my Hubby do a casual Eric. But I can't decide what to base my outfit on. Her Kiss the Girl dress or her mermaid form. I have the stuff to make the KTG corset (just have to make it). Also any tips on styling an Ariel wig?

EvilCon 2014 - TBD

Facebook * Deviantart

Last edited by LadySasha : 08-04-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Unread 08-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #11775
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Sasha- For Ariel bangs... its all about teasing (back combing) on the underside of the wefts and bringing over and spraying the crap out of them. I highly recommend getting clips and clipping the bangs over layer by layer after you've sprayed them into place so they dry in place without flopping down and flat. But yeah... it literally is just tease tease tease, and gently bring over to the opposite side. And bobby pins are your best friend for keeping the bangs up too!

My metallic fabric turned up this morning for mermaid Ariel version 2.0!! Omg its soooooooooooooooooooooo perfect!