Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 911 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #11791
KittyHawk
Foundress of Nothing

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. I'll get more photos up soon.

Nice work on your fin, Furie! Are you planning to sew the fins to the tail, Velcro for more ease, or something else? I'm planning to sew mine shut and make do with the limited mobility, but that may change as I get closer to that stage, heh.

Sasha - I can't wait to see your wig!

Eventually:
Mary Poppins (Jolly Holiday), Jack (Mass Effect), Ripley (Aliens)
KittyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #11792
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

KittyHawk- I do have a non walkable tail already, but my new one is for parties and stuff so I kind of need it to be a bit walkable XD, I'm basing it off the tail from the parks in the meet and greets/fantasmic shows. I'l be sewing the fluke to the main part of the tail on the inside but making it open, so I just lift it up to walk/waddle (XP) and have it fully down over my feet for the full mermaid look ^_^ I get the best of both worlds that way lol
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #11793
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Furie ~ I love that shiny green fabric!! I can't wait to see it finished!

KittyHawk - I know Simplicity 5403 is the poodle skirt pattern for that brand and what I'm planning on using.

This is the wig I got. And its pretty dead on. I'd say it's a tad darker but pretty damn close. I love this company. I think later on down the road I might buy another one and put the wefts into the other wig just cuz I want a really super full ariel wig but even this wig has a decent thickness to it.

I've actually owned the same wig in a different color which you can see here with my Black Canary costume.

I'm probably going to be styling it this weekend or next week! I can't wait. I'm also thinking about making a quickie somewhat casual version of her KTG dress i have some of this casa satin laying around....do you think it'd work for the skirt?

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #11794
Fairydusted

Hi,

I found this forum a few days ago via an old post by iBelieve kiggi on disboards.

I've been reading a ton since I'm making some costumes for my girls for our sept wdw trip. We are soon MNSSHP again and I plan on revamping my dh and my rapunzel an Flynn costumes since I've found some great help from previous posts on here!*

I have a question : I really suck at pointed bodices. I hastily threw together my rapunzel costume last year so didn't care that it didn't turn out but last night I was doing my daughters drizella and despite taking my time I still botched it.

I'm self taught and just started last year so I'm not pretending to have great knowledge so if anyone has any tips on these bodices I'd be so grateful!!*

Also you guys have me wanting to go to a con. My husband does not thank you lol.
Fairydusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #11795
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySasha View Post
Furie ~ I love that shiny green fabric!! I can't wait to see it finished!

This is the wig I got. And its pretty dead on. I'd say it's a tad darker but pretty damn close. I love this company. I think later on down the road I might buy another one and put the wefts into the other wig just cuz I want a really super full ariel wig but even this wig has a decent thickness to it.

Thank you! and I love that wig! I've toyed with that wig myself before lol
Unread 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #11796
kiggi

fairydusted, welcome!

what is the problem you are having with the pointed bodice? can we see pics it will help us help you

furie, love the tail!!

kittyhawk welcome!! that is a lovely ursula! such a creative way to go about it!

im still working on cinderella... its looking good! the bodice fits like a glove!! it was worth my tantrums over it.

does anyone have tips on cutting bangs? they are chin length right now.... if i dont have to i dont want to, but i think im going to have to. and can you dye a synthetic wig? i want to make it ever so strawberry... its a bit too blonde.

kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #11797
nessabutterfly

Kiggi-- some wigs will dye, some won't. You can use sharpies and alcohol or FW artist's ink in alcohol. Then you spray it on, let it dry, and rinse it in cool water. There are lots of tutorials in the wig forums. I would test it out on whatever you trim off of the bangs first though. I know the innocent wig from Amphigory does NOT take dye well, but others do beautifully.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #11798
Fairydusted

[quote=kiggi;4484028]fairydusted, welcome!*

what is the problem you are having with the pointed bodice? can we see pics it will help us help you *

Ha well when I Sew it to the skirt I have no point. Am I just not being careful enough in the line I'm sewing or is there a trick to it? *

Btw kiggi your whole set of tangled costumes were amazing and that hair!!!
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #11799
AkaneSaotome
cosplay procrastinator...

Long time no post guys! I got a couple more pics for you. I have more pictures of my Aurora blue dress. I finally got a professional shoot done. It has also been selected to be in a princess calendar for charity. If anyone's interested, I can post a link when they are actually for sale. The profit will go to a charity for abused children.

http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?c=54890

I also have some pictures of the Bimbettes and Gaston. I made all 3 bimbette costumes, and my friend made his Gaston. I styled his wig though. I'm the green one.

http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?c=61371

Follow my cosplay construction and plans on my fanpage

AkaneSaotome Fanpage

Anime Boston 06-08 -Masq. Judge/ Otakon 09 -Hall Judge
AkaneSaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #11800
kiggi

[quote=Fairydusted;4484248]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggi View Post
fairydusted, welcome!*

what is the problem you are having with the pointed bodice? can we see pics it will help us help you *

Ha well when I Sew it to the skirt I have no point. Am I just not being careful enough in the line I'm sewing or is there a trick to it? *

Btw kiggi your whole set of tangled costumes were amazing and that hair!!!
aww thanks!!!!!!
yeah it is a point where you have to be more attentive at that point. lets see, (thinking about how i construct this) on that kind of dress i pregather with a basting stitch and pin to the bodice. at the point i ease more fabric right there so it doesnt pull too tight. i start at the bottom of the point and work my way right then start back at the point and work left being sure to backstitch and secure it. this does 2 different things, it defines the point, but also makes the fabric pull in the correct directions (according to my textile teacher anyhow) and then when i do that the fabric isnt forced and bunched at the point. or, find the center of the skirt and cut a "v" the same depth as the bodice pattern. this will pin and line up like any other pattern piece, and i think make it easier to sew... umm i feel like i need a diagram or a video, i am so bad at explaining things! sorry i hope this makes sense!
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #11801
viviandress
Banned

Thumbs up Quite elegant! How can I get this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggi View Post
fairydusted, welcome!

what is the problem you are having with the pointed bodice? can we see pics it will help us help you

furie, love the tail!!

kittyhawk welcome!! that is a lovely ursula! such a creative way to go about it!

im still working on cinderella... its looking good! the bodice fits like a glove!! it was worth my tantrums over it.

does anyone have tips on cutting bangs? they are chin length right now.... if i dont have to i dont want to, but i think im going to have to. and can you dye a synthetic wig? i want to make it ever so strawberry... its a bit too blonde.

Quite elegant! How can I get this wig?

I also find lots of wigs in Taobao ( China ebay) and BuyChina.com:

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=wig&com...ndexz_20120808

http://www.buychina.com/products?keyword=wig&cid=

It is also very long and blonde.
viviandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #11802
Fairydusted

Thanks kiggi the bad part is it is a cut in the skirt and I still screwed I up ugh. I don't think I started right atthe point so I will do that on the next one thank you. I did tear it out and try to redo it on this one but the point being so delicate - pre schooler dress- it got a little mangled and while I do see where it's more pointed now it's not as defined as I'd like.

Hoping I can fake it by adding some gold trim or something and that following your tips will help me do better on my other daughters Anastasia.

Love all your wigs everyone, you are all just amazing bringing these characters to life!!

Totally wish I'd found this sooner!!
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #11803
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

So I know I disappeared again, but I've started working on a Pocahontas cosplay. I already have a mock-up and a Meeko plush.

Furie- It sounds like you already have an idea for a design, but if you're looking for another option, I'd suggest looking at VampiricMosaic's Ariel. It is basically Simplicity 4043 with a fuller tail and the legs covered up.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #11804
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Akane ~ Welcome back! Love your costumes!!! And love seeing some Bimbette love xD

Beni ~ Picturessssssss

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #11805
KittyHawk
Foundress of Nothing

Sasha - thanks for the tip; I just purchased that pattern! And I know I've seen photos around where casa satin was used for a KtG skirt (though I can't remember whose work it was), and it looked beautiful! It was a little more dressy than the dress usually is, but if the fabric of the rest of the dress complements it, I think the satin you have will be a smash.

Welcome, Fairydusted, from a fellow newb! I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of your work!

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome. Loving that wig, Kiggi; I hope you're able to get it the color you want!

Eventually:
Mary Poppins (Jolly Holiday), Jack (Mass Effect), Ripley (Aliens)
KittyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote