Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1008 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #11881
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Question guys: I'm attempting different ways of pinning my fabric onto the end of my Ariel tail for her fluke, but i just cant get it to look right... I wanted to cut the shape in the ends AFTER I've pinned it/sewn it into the main tail, but at the moment, its hanging straight down, and I cant quite get the right shape I want.... help?

Going for this sort of shape:

How mine looks currently:

On the left side of the image/fluke its got that bulge because its fabric not pinned into the tail.. i got left with it, after I roughly pinned the fabric in place... so I know how to fix that bit but I dont know what I can do, to achieve that "flared out' look from the bottom of the main tail, into the fluke like the parks tail has, if you get what I mean? I'm using lycra silk touch fabric for it, so I know it will want to just hang just down, but i dont want it looking so...flat I guess lol

The waist fin though I'm really pleased with.. just gotta sew it in place:

Last edited by FuriePhoenix : 08-21-2012 at 04:51 AM.
FuriePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #11882
LKD
Is a princess!!

I remember seeing a pic of her flipping her fin and under all the squiggles there's an actual monofin esk fin . I'm not sure if theyre all like that though but it makes sense thats whay holding the shape. I think a layer of similar colored tulle would do the same lile apetticoat for the squiggles~
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #11883
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

lkd- thanks for the idea, I cant really afford to buy even more fabric unfortunately at the moment, so wil have to see... if not I'll have to make do with what I got, or try and pin then sew it into a sort of similiar/correct shape
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #11884
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

It looks like the fluke in the park gown is gathered on to the bottom of the tail. I believe there is also some netting supporting the fabric to 'pouf' it out more.

Selling some of my Satine from Moulin Rouge costumes & more on Etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/crimsonvision

Last edited by crimsonvision : 08-21-2012 at 02:57 PM.
crimsonvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #11885
Fairydusted

There's a surprising amount of mermaid tail YouTube and tutorials. Have any of those helped?

I remember seeing one by a girl who did all of Ariel's sisters if I can find it I'll post. It seemed very thorough.

Meanwhile I'm almost done Cinderellas mice dress bodice. I am so dumb so distraced by kids after sewing right sides together I didn't flip it right side out and sewed it all together and thought I was done velcro and all (Velcro so it's easier for dress up time after our trip for the girls to play) and THEN I noticed all the unfinished edges.*

Don't you hate when you're like man im making great progress and bam you see huge mistakes?!

But I've straightened it out and figured out wha to do for the white shoulders... Almost done!*

Also tore apart my rapunzel dress. Planning on checking to see of I can redo the skirt with the fabric I have or just order more... If I get the other fabric I can at least reuse this fabric for the new bodice*

So wish I could get the spoonflower stuff!
Fairydusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #11886
ModernPrincess
Princess of a New Age

Trying to find a good wig for Merida. I've looked on ebay and some of the normal websites, but I'm having trouble finding a colour I like. Any suggestions?

I am also going to buy 2-3 wigs and sew them together into a Frankin-wig for the sheer volume, so that is no matter.
England/Arthur Kirkland - Queen of Spades (APH)

@};---
ModernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #11887
Sharnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySasha View Post
From what I've come to understand (from what the patterns I buy say) if you situate your pattern along the same direction as the selvage (this is the best example, the part opposite of where the fold is: http://daisyjanie.typepad.com/.a/6a0...e60e970d-800wi)

I may be wrong though, I think grain changes depending on what type of fabric it is? I'm sure someone on here knows exactly what it is...
... So I just have to keep the fabric straight with the selvage to the side? I'm sorry i am really daft with this
Belle's provincial blue dress - for myself - started.
Kida - for my sister
Snow White - for myself
Sharnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #11888
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairydusted View Post
There's a surprising amount of mermaid tail YouTube and tutorials. Have any of those helped?

I remember seeing one by a girl who did all of Ariel's sisters if I can find it I'll post. It seemed very thorough.
Ooh if you could find it that would be awesome, as I find it difficult to find tutorials on youtube, I've followed one to get the main tail bit, but thats all the kind of tutorials I can find. ^^

Also, I can't afford a monofin or anything, so I gotta try and make do with what I have.

Crimsonvision- yeah, that's what I thought (that was gathered into the bottom of the tail) and that's what I did, but maybe I didn't gather it enough? I dont have any spare netting laying around to pad it out at the moment, and cant afford to get anymore for the time being... I'll just be happy with getting the basic shape and "look" of it for this party I got booked, then when I can afford more netting ands stuff I can add to it after.
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #11889
Malasond

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have decided for next year to do a Disney Villain. I have never done a villain before and thought it might be a lot of fun. I am really thinking Ursula, since I love a good challenge. I have a plan and sketches, now I just need to finish the cosplays I am working on for this year so I can put it into production for next.

FuriePhoenix you tail is looking really go so far, can't wait till it is done.
Malasond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #11890
Seifer-sama

@ FuriePhoenix: I agree with LKD and Crimsonvision; it does look like there is a bunch of extra fabric gathered into the tail to make it poof out more. I know you said you can't buy more fabric, but do you have any scraps or leftovers that might help fluff it out? If not, I would just make it as best as you can and purchase the other materials when you have the money.

Malasond: Welcome! I think an Ursula cosplay would be awesome!! I look forward to seeing you start that project!!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #11891
kiggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharnie View Post
... So I just have to keep the fabric straight with the selvage to the side? I'm sorry i am really daft with this
just make sure the grain line on the pattern piece is parallel to the salvage the pattern piece is not always going to be straight. For instance it may be a bias cut piece and it will be @ a 45° angle from the salvage. Hope that helps!
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #11892
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer-sama View Post
@ FuriePhoenix: I agree with LKD and Crimsonvision; it does look like there is a bunch of extra fabric gathered into the tail to make it poof out more. I know you said you can't buy more fabric, but do you have any scraps or leftovers that might help fluff it out? If not, I would just make it as best as you can and purchase the other materials when you have the money.
I dont think I do, I'll have to go look, but like you said.. if not I'll make do with it without or the party, then get extra fabric when I can ^^

Thanks everyone for the input and ideas! Really appreciate it! I'm pretty sure too that I can get away with cutting the fluke material in half again, so its a tad shorter and use that to pad it out some more too
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #11893
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriePhoenix View Post
I dont think I do, I'll have to go look, but like you said.. if not I'll make do with it without or the party, then get extra fabric when I can ^^

Thanks everyone for the input and ideas! Really appreciate it! I'm pretty sure too that I can get away with cutting the fluke material in half again, so its a tad shorter and use that to pad it out some more too
The lycra is not going to give you the support you want; it will be a little bunch where you gather it but it will still hang straight down from there. You can get the thick netting from fabric stores very cheaply (some cased under $1 a yard) & just gather it up as best you can. I only used two layers of netting under my fin seen here and it holds it shape well (pls excuse the funny face; I was laughing at my hubby who was pretending to hold the gun to my head lol):

You need to not only support it at the attachment point but all the way down and out for it to hold its shape due to the weight of the lycra. I know it feels light but it doesn't have body of its own so you need the support the whole way.

Last edited by crimsonvision : 08-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #11894
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernPrincess View Post
Trying to find a good wig for Merida. I've looked on ebay and some of the normal websites, but I'm having trouble finding a colour I like. Any suggestions?

I am also going to buy 2-3 wigs and sew them together into a Frankin-wig for the sheer volume, so that is no matter.
This looks a little darker in person but I've used fox red in the past for various red wig projects & the color seems brighter in person than on this pic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LONG-Wil...orcev4exp=true

Good volume too!

Unread 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #11895
Fairydusted

Ariel being held hostage by capt jack is right- that netting is extremely cheap and holds shape so that would be a great economical choice a yard or two strategically placed should do the trick.

I thought I pinned the mermaid tutorial on pinterest but sadly it's not there it seems like when I do a big pinning spree I always lose a few :/*
Fairydusted is offline   Reply With Quote