Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 985 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #11971
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

LOL, I'm not wearing a wig; that is my actual hair. But thank you for all the compliments on it! It actually wasn't cooperating as much as I would have liked; usually the bottom is much more poufy but my hair was cranky at me for all the styling I'd already done that weekend.

Maltese I've made the Jessica dress several times for myself and MANY times for other people. My personal gown is high backed so I can wear an elaborate corset underneath it as I use it in a burlesque routine. This is my version:

P.S. Also my real hair.

I've also made high backed versions with nude fabric in the back to give the illusion of having a low back but still gives the wearer the ability to have supporting garments on such as a serious corset. ;D

I've made the low cut version too and find the best way to do it is bone the heck out of the front and sides of the dress as well as use clear straps to hold the front up. You also have the option of padding the heck out of it as Yaya did; here is a pic of her from this year where you can see the straps (she's totally inspired me to re-make my own gown someday; I hate being one upped! LOL, btw we've been friends for a long time so I'm not saying that in a mean way):

Looking at the pic from the side now Yaya's isn't all that low either as she has a mega corset on but MAN was it pretty! You can see the clear straps I was talking about; those make all the difference in the world.

Random side note on the Jessica dress. If you are making a sparkly version of her gown a lot of people don't realize that to be 'screen accurate' her 'stage' gown (the one that is sparkly) is *PINK*. Note both mine and Yaya's versions. In the movie when she is performing the dress is pink; when she gets offstage and is in her 'normal' dress for the rest of the movie her gown is red. Most of the disney merchandise has her in red too because I think they started realizing it was a bad idea to put a redhead in pink. ;D

Let me know if I can be of more assistance!

Selling some of my Satine from Moulin Rouge costumes & more on Etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/crimsonvision

Last edited by crimsonvision : 09-11-2012 at 08:41 AM.
crimsonvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #11972
MalteseLizzie

Limeyaku, the skirt embroidery looks beautiful

Alternatively, order an accessory or some clothing from my Etsy store.

Etsy Deviantart Blog
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #11973
MalteseLizzie

Crimsonvision: Thanks for tipping me off about the straps. I had a feeling that a lot of Jessica cosplayers might use clear straps, but couldn't tell (I thought they might have access to magical fashion tape LOL). I found a really good bra to use (the first bra I tried is cut far too low, while this bra covers more, though still accurate). I'm going for a high backer version, because I'm not comfortable with a low backed dress.

As regards boning, is plastic boning strong enough?

I'm making her red dress (I have no clue how to sew sequins, and I had a lot of red mildly stretchy satin at home), but if I ever decide to remake it I might try and get pink sequns (or I might say 'accuracy? boring!' and go for red. i do love red)

Etsy Deviantart Blog

Last edited by MalteseLizzie : 09-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #11974
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseLizzie View Post
Crimsonvision: Thanks for tipping me off about the straps. I had a feeling that a lot of Jessica cosplayers might use clear straps, but couldn't tell (I thought they might have access to magical fashion tape LOL). I found a really good bra to use (the first bra I tried is cut far too low, while this bra covers more, though still accurate). I'm going for a high backer version, because I'm not comfortable with a low backed dress.

As regards boning, is plastic boning strong enough?

I'm making her red dress (I have no clue how to sew sequins, and I had a lot of red mildly stretchy satin at home), but if I ever decide to remake it I might try and get pink satins (or I might say 'accuracy? boring!' and go for red. i do love red)
I use toupe tape a lot for burlesque and have used it extensively in costumes for cons as well; it will help keep most things in place but ti usually won't hold the entire weight of the dress.

As far as the boning plastic boning should be fine as long as you use it well; my dress has plastic boning but I do wear a steel boned corset underneath it. It really depends on how well endowed you are and how much of a corseting effect you want (if any).

I forgot to mention on the color; that was my humble opinion after lots and lots and lots of research including viewing some original stills from the movie. I am not the end all authority on it but I'm just really neurotic about details sometimes. ;D

Unread 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #11975
MalteseLizzie

Okay then, plastic boning it is (finally, I can use up my stock!). I might invest in an under-bust corset for the costume. I'm not very well endowed (C, though I'm adding some padding), so it should hopefully work.

Etsy Deviantart Blog
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #11976
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonvision View Post
Most of the disney merchandise has her in red too because I think they started realizing it was a bad idea to put a redhead in pink. ;D
You don't know how happy this statement makes me! Now if only they could do that with Ariel lol!
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #11977
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriePhoenix View Post
You don't know how happy this statement makes me! Now if only they could do that with Ariel lol!
Preaching to the choir, sister!

Unread 09-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #11978
Limeyaku
First-Mate

DONE! I MADE IT THROUGH THE VALLEY OF ALMOST LOSING YOUR MIND FROM DOING EMBROIDERY BY HAND FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT BUT I DID IT!

With this and the eyelets on the bodice done, I AM FINISHED with embroidery for Rapunzel!

The designs on the sleeves I'm using a satin stitch over a VERY sheer organza, which I'll then layer over the sleeves. at the top and bottom. I tried embroidering a bit by hand but it looked too... holey. The floss just split open wherever I pulled through and I want those patterns to be nice and clean. :3
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #11979
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Crimson- lol! I really was beginning to feel like I was the only one who hated and saw how bad pink on red heads clashed and looked! Haha!

Lime- dfjdhjfdjkbfdi;ubjdfbsueyh!!!!!!! That embroidery is like.. AMAZING!!!

Cosplay update from me: I just finished paying my friend for my Simba kigu suit AND bought my wig for Simba too! I'm starting to miss making my own costumes now... this is like the 2nd cosplay I've paid someone else to do because im lazy to attempt it myself, but already feeling like a cheater haha! This is the wig I got for Simba:

Now I MUST make mom finish my Ariel costumes by putting in zips (my park gown skirt needs a zip majorly as well as my tail), then I think just for the sheer hell of it when I got funds not needing to be spent on hotel costs for Asylum 9, I'm gonna make peasant dress Belle. Hell... I got stuff in already to turn my Ariel shirt into Belle's shirt. So I think I shall do that for something to do lol. I also gotta make my original inspired design of Rikku's (FFX-2) Lady Luck dress sphere outfit for Distant Worlds!

Last edited by FuriePhoenix : 09-12-2012 at 04:55 AM.
FuriePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #11980
LKD
Is a princess!!

gudagfdkhgkjh that ariel dress..that jessica...crimson I'm in love with your work!

furie- your tat is AMAZING. makes me want one but D; nope

maltese- sewing a bra cup most likely wont help. Even bra's dont stay up without help..
making a dress like crimsons and yaya's even with a corset you need proper well fitted foundation inside of the dress (interlining,boning, yada yada).

Trying to get my Alice dress done before I leave D;
Here's the petticoat..it has a waistband on now but..i hate it so naah wont post a pic of it done XD
Here's before I finished the monster

It's 8 yards of peachskin, 8 yards of netting, and what 30 yds of horsehair braid. There's 6 layers of fabric circle skirts and 6 layers of netting circle skirts XP Each netting in between each fabric. ITS UBER TWIRLY..heavy but perfect. Sooo hard finding ref photos of it

Only pic I'm willing to share of it done..cause you cant see the bad XD

SORRY FOR PIC SPAM
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #11981
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

LKD- thank youuuuuuuu!!!! It's already healing nicely and the scabbing is already coming off on Flounder! I'm so happy over it lol! Also, LOVE your Alice petticoat! Omg its sooooo poofy and full I seriously love it!!
Unread 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #11982
Limeyaku
First-Mate

DONE!!! I might actually rip it apart AGAIN...to try to shrink up the front panel...I feel like it's too wide and folds when i stand straight. BLEGH. Always something...
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #11983
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Limeyaku- I think the skirt is fantastic and perfect the way it is ^_^
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #11984
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

Ditto. BTW, has anyone seen the new Periwinkle character costume that just debuted at the theme parks? Light up wings and all. That might be impossible, with the LED thing, but getting Christmas lights that are battery powered would make it feasible.

Last edited by kojirojames2004 : 09-18-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Addedphoto
kojirojames2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #11985
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

I got my new Ariel tail done!!!!!!!! Also, my Simba wig turned up this morning!!! Just gotta do some minor styling onto it! As for my Ariel, I say it's done, but I wanna cut some kind of shaping into the bottom (i know what to do) so it's not so flat and straight at the bottom... then IF I can find my green glitter and fabric glue I'm gonna sprinkle some glitter on it to make it sparkly and parks inspired/looking, so it's not bland in color against the super shinyness of the main tail fabric haha!
PIC SPAM: I apologise if the pics look weird.... photobucket isn't playing ball with me when it comes to editing/resizing/rotating images for some reason ><!
With zip closed

With zip open: