Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1159 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #12631
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Aeviking- That's cute!

From me: I'm just working on fixing up my Meg costume for a con in three weeks. Nothing major, mostly just pulling it and sewing the upper band into the dress. Also in the process of updating the hairband and have made a new medallion for the lower sash after I lost the original one!

Unread 06-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #12632
Aurora's Heart

Aeviking- Loving it so far. It's very cute.

So, I'm on to my next project. Joann's was having such a good sale this weekend I managed to snag myself a perfect matching fleece for Vanellope and I also got some purple micro suede for my Secret of the Wings version of Vida. I'm going to go back later in the week and get a light purple/pink embosed suede for the sleeves and pants of Vidia's outfit. I'm so excited that after so long I'm finally gonna make Vidia.

Unread 06-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #12633
nessabutterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by YunaAngels View Post
I figured it out I put the dress on a hanger that has those grooves on top for like thin strap dress's put the off shoulders part there and it's been hanging no problem like that for me as long you put the material there it stays for me.

I'm using the only clip hanger I have for the Petticoats that aren't attached to the inside of the dress and are separate themself's
Be careful-- if the dress is heavy, this might rip the shoulder fabric from the dress. A clip hanger is safer, though the best would be to sew little hanging straps to the lining like you find in storebought clothing. Ribbon works well-- attach it to the seam allowance.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #12634
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

WELP!
I really want to cosplay this version of Anna from FROZEN
I feel like I am gonna love these characters.
I dont know why but ARG!
This dress!~
I want to cospaly Elsa as well one of these days =D
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...21-332-557.jpg

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #12635
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Oh wow, Anna's dress there is lovely! <3 I'm sure that will be a gorgeous cosplay.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #12636
YunaAngels
YunaAngelz Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessabutterfly View Post
Be careful-- if the dress is heavy, this might rip the shoulder fabric from the dress. A clip hanger is safer, though the best would be to sew little hanging straps to the lining like you find in storebought clothing. Ribbon works well-- attach it to the seam allowance.
The off the shoulder fabric is really strong it was put something inside I forget what so the off the shoulders wouldn't fall down or anything while I am wearing it plus that almost as how the commissioner that made it for me had it hanging before it was shipped to me.

Only the commissioner had the straps criss crossed over the hanger and I can't figure how to do that so I did of what I'm doing instead.

If I had extra fabric laying around could I use that to make the straps inside of the dress for it to hang or would ribbon be better?

I altered one the bows smaller since it was falling off my head when I was wearing it and have the fabric from that to do it if possible.

Future Cosplay's
Cinderella: Charming *Waiting on for Fiance*
Code Geass: Princess Euphemia
Sleeping Beauty: Aurora
Tangled: Rapunzel
Frozen: Elsa
YunaAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #12637
nessabutterfly

Yuna-- ribbon is better because it won't show through the dress when you're wearing it. Just make sure you melt the ends with a lighter or candle before sewing them in so that they don't unravel.
If the shoulder sections are REALLY strong, it might be okay to hang it that way, but over time, even if it doesn't rip, it could change the way the fabric hangs. It's supposed to drape down, but it'll get used to angling up and it might look funny.
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #12638
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

My Megara has almost finished going through the rework! Mom said she'll be able to finish it tomorrow! Just gotta buy purple contact lenses for her tomorrow and bring the volume back into the bangs of the wig and she'll be complete once more. Will do photos another day. I've even re worked the hairband, and repainted and added details to it, so it now matches the park's face character's hairband, only difference is I've kept it all the same color of gold, whereas the parks has the detailing a lighter color.

I'm sooo looking forward to being Meg again, as I know she'll bring out my usual sassy self that I haven't seen in a looooooooooooong time!
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #12639
YunaAngels
YunaAngelz Cosplay

Quote:
Yuna-- ribbon is better because it won't show through the dress when you're wearing it. Just make sure you melt the ends with a lighter or candle before sewing them in so that they don't unravel.
If the shoulder sections are REALLY strong, it might be okay to hang it that way, but over time, even if it doesn't rip, it could change the way the fabric hangs. It's supposed to drape down, but it'll get used to angling up and it might look funny.
Could I use Extra Fabric I have left over until I can go buy some Ribbon ??

Future Cosplay's
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #12640
nessabutterfly

yuna-- a few days isn't likely to do much damage-- it's just hanging it that way long term-- like over the course of months. It's probably fine to leave it the way it is until you can get some ribbon.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #12641
YunaAngels
YunaAngelz Cosplay

Quote:
yuna-- a few days isn't likely to do much damage-- it's just hanging it that way long term-- like over the course of months. It's probably fine to leave it the way it is until you can get some ribbon.
I won't be debuting it until next month and at the end of the month I need to buy a few things for it such as Make Up, Shoe Insoles for my heals, Clamp for the necklace and while I am at the clamp place I know they have ribbon there I will look how much everything will cost me.

Can it be any color or would clear be better for a gold dress ? I'm not sure as how I'm going to melt the ends as I don't got any candles or lighters but will figure it out.

Future Cosplay's
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #12642
nessabutterfly

Clear is likely to break when you sew it on. Just pick a light colour. Thin too-- less than 1/2" wide so it doesn't show through. Your loops only need to be long enough to go over the hooks on the hanger. 2-3" of ribbon, looped over should be enough. You can either sew one loop at each armpit seam, or 4 loops-- one over each breast and 2 on the back in the same area-- that way the dress doesn't get smooshed inwards. You could make the front loops tiny and thread the back ones through them before hanging-- then there won't be any chance of the loops showing through the fabric over the bust. This is better if it's a thin or delicate fabric.

As for melting it-- even holding it over a stove element will do the trick-- just hold it close enough (2-3" away) that the edge melts a little-- it'll get kinda shiny. Let it cool a second, and if it feels a little stiff, you're done. Just don't burn yourself. It only takes a few seconds of heat to seal the end.

This might help-- follow the directions for the strapless dress: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...perly/page/all

Last edited by nessabutterfly : 06-18-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #12643
YunaAngels
YunaAngelz Cosplay

Quote:
Clear is likely to break when you sew it on. Just pick a light colour. Thin too-- less than 1/2" wide so it doesn't show through. Your loops only need to be long enough to go over the hooks on the hanger. 2-3" of ribbon, looped over should be enough. You can either sew one loop at each armpit seam, or 4 loops-- one over each breast and 2 on the back in the same area-- that way the dress doesn't get smooshed inwards. You could make the front loops tiny and thread the back ones through them before hanging-- then there won't be any chance of the loops showing through the fabric over the bust. This is better if it's a thin or delicate fabric.

As for melting it-- even holding it over a stove element will do the trick-- just hold it close enough (2-3" away) that the edge melts a little-- it'll get kinda shiny. Let it cool a second, and if it feels a little stiff, you're done. Just don't burn yourself. It only takes a few seconds of heat to seal the end.

This might help-- follow the directions for the strapless dress: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...perly/page/all
I'm lost lol, That's why I want to use the fabric left over cause I can't buy anything for another week yet and then I have to remember where I found the store for it

Here's the dress I'm talking about https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Future Cosplay's

Last edited by YunaAngels : 06-18-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #12644
nessabutterfly

Yuna-- that dress isn't truly off the shoulder-- it's like she added cap sleeves above the pink band. It might actually be okay to hang as it is. I was picturing something like a Belle dress where the fabric is meant to rest on the outside of the shoulder while wearing. Since this fabric is worn over the shoulder, hanging it shouldn't hurt the shape of it at all.

I would keep an eye on it though-- check the seams every few weeks to be sure the weight isn't putting pressure on them. If you see the seams pulling open, be sure to take it off the hanger right away.
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #12645
YunaAngels
YunaAngelz Cosplay

Quote:
Yuna-- that dress isn't truly off the shoulder-- it's like she added cap sleeves above the pink band. It might actually be okay to hang as it is. I was picturing something like a Belle dress where the fabric is meant to rest on the outside of the shoulder while wearing. Since this fabric is worn over the shoulder, hanging it shouldn't hurt the shape of it at all.

I would keep an eye on it though-- check the seams every few weeks to be sure the weight isn't putting pressure on them. If you see the seams pulling open, be sure to take it off the hanger right away.
Do you mean that white area? That is not included with the dress there's nothing above the pink strap of the dress where the blue sash is at the top of the bodice that you see in the picture I think that was put there to make it so the pink strap would fit the width of my shoulders.

It's from 20th Century Fox "Anastasia" as Anastasia Romanova: Grand Dutchess Dress

Take a look this is me in the dress so you better understand what I am talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-j499iFA5I at 1:32 you can see how it sits off my shoulders just like Belle's Gown Dress sit's off the shoulders

Future Cosplay's

Last edited by YunaAngels : 06-19-2013 at 04:23 AM.