Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1158 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #12901
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Progress on Jane. It's coming along nicely. Once my mom and I find time to do a fitting I can finish this one up. It took long enough, I started it around this time last year and then put it aside for all these months.

I also bought that shirt for Elsa. They were out of the mint, but I was a bit nervous about that anyway. I got the white and I plan to dye it.

Unread 12-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #12902
jdoe7

We got in that shirt for mint and my friend and I decided not to use it, lovely shirt, but too dark for the sleeves and color scheme we are doing. Luckily my friend likes the shirt anyways. We've gotten in the rectangle sequins we are using and they are perfect but we need more, so hoping the seller can get us more. My friend emailed them since they don't have em on their website or on ebay anymore. I've got my skirt fabric for Anna, I just need to cut it then start embroidering!
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Facebook tumblr: Disney Personal Harry Potter
jdoe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #12903
Arlette
Let it Go

I probably haven't been in this thread for 2 or 3 years (since I made Rapunzel) but I'm actually working on Elsa now, so here is progress on that. I'm open to critiques/suggestions as always!

I've used many different kinds of materials for this project, and a lot of rhinestones. I'm using two colors of glitter spray (that I seem to be allergic to) to get a gradient on the cape, and I had to hand-sew the trim at the collar of the blue undershirt. That shirt is a light blue stretch with silver glitter throughout, and I put rhinestones at the ends of the sleeves because I felt like it. The back of the bodice will lace up, and there is light plastic boning and lining. The shoes had t-straps but I cut the straps off since they were perfect d'Orsay style shoes otherwise. The ice blasts in the front are made of craft foam, and everything is covered with the same fabric as my glittery undershirt. Useless Fact: I first purchased a white sheer fabric covered in silver snowflakes for the cape but ended up not liking it...I have, however, cut some of the snowflakes from that fabric and have used them in small amounts elsewhere on the costume. Such as the shoes.

For the cape, I ended up with a shimmery fabric that shines in shades of blue, green and gold depending on how you're looking at it.

The top skirt is like a crinkled fabric that has blue shimmers throughout, and has its own gradient thing happening. I totally forget what the fabric is called, but it is normally very expensive! $30/yd expensive. I got it on sale, because ain't nobody got time for that! Since it's sheer, I created an underskirt out of a stretch knit. The skirt is also getting the glitter spray treatment before this is all over.

The wig is a silver "Vegas" from Arda Wigs. I liked the front layers for the spiky look of Elsa's hair, and I cut some length off the longest layer and created a weft which I added back in for thickness, then braided it. I have since re-braided (since that photo was taken) and added kitschy little snowflakes. Smaller ones are rhinestones, bigger ones are glitter-soaked children's baubles. I got all snowflake things from the Christmas clearance section of Michael's.

I would like to point out that this costume looks to be totally different colors depending on the lighting. I did go more toward the aqua/turquoise range on purpose, rather than the light icy blue I've seen used more commonly, but the costume is NOT as green as it looks in most of my photos.

Also, I'm not sold on my wig. I know a lot of people are using super platinum blonde rather than straight silver, but I want to work with what looks better with my complexion.

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #12904
kiggi

If you are using a lycra mesh for the Elsa shirt(which would be a smart idea) Jalie makes awesome patterns and they are easy to use and easy to understand. They are a tad pricy $15 but usually come in 22 sizes in one envelope so it's easy to alter and so on and I you use the ones for dance/ice skating they are meant for stretch, so they won't be baggy. They have tutorials on YouTube for elastic and binding and stuff on them so you can see and their customer service is awesome with questions and walking you through problems and weird requests.
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #12905
SteampunkKiasyd
Steampunk Disney Rebel

*pokes his head into this thread*

Oh, boy.
Four and a half months, give or take, in which I need to create two, possibly three, full costumes.

My wife, our roommate, and I are planning to do a "Disney Star Wars" cosplay for Star Wars Weekends 2014 at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I'll be Jedi Eugene Fitzherbert (Flynn Rider), my wife will be Jedi Rapunzel, and our roommate will be Darth Scar, complete with mane wig, feline latex facial prosthetics, and makeup. We also have friends from out of state who are planning to join us either in 2014 or 2015.

My wife and I are kind of going back and forth on whether we want her Jedi Rapunzel to have the long blonde hair or the short choppy brunette post-haircut look. Any thoughts, and any ideas on how to make the hair reasonably lightweight if we go blonde?

Last edited by SteampunkKiasyd : 12-28-2013 at 04:07 PM.
SteampunkKiasyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #12906
girlinthestars
Lunarex

I'm going to get started on Peri soon, I just got my fabric for the wings, but I couldn't find the right color fabric. Everything was either too green or too purple. And I'm not really sure was sort of fabric to get.

Though I do have a question to ask. More of a situation and I need some opinions
I really want to cosplay Tiana, because she's my favorite Princess. But I don't know whether to do it or not because I know I'll get criticized and bullied about it. What should I do? I was planning on cosplaying her sometime this fall, but I'm still not very confident about it.

Next Costumes

Recent Completed Costumes
Minnie Mouse
Periwinkle

DeviantArt
Facebook
My Facebook Page
Tumblr
girlinthestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #12907
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

You mean bc Tiana is a different ethnicity to tmost of other Princesses? (and you, going by your photo) guess it's difficult to know how people would react, but if you like her as a character, I don't see why you couldn't have her dress and hairstyle. Not sure about makeup though, it's been a sore point when celebs have done it so probably you would get negative reactions.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you were asking

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #12908
jdoe7

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinthestars View Post
I'm going to get started on Peri soon, I just got my fabric for the wings, but I couldn't find the right color fabric. Everything was either too green or too purple. And I'm not really sure was sort of fabric to get.

Though I do have a question to ask. More of a situation and I need some opinions
I really want to cosplay Tiana, because she's my favorite Princess. But I don't know whether to do it or not because I know I'll get criticized and bullied about it. What should I do? I was planning on cosplaying her sometime this fall, but I'm still not very confident about it.
I say go for it! I think the only reason why it would be controversial is if you did what is called "black face"(pretty self explanatory i think, if not it can be googled). If you don't darken your skin at all then I think it would be perfectly fine!
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Unread 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #12909
jdoe7

sorry for the double post, the old internet explorer at work isn't working to let me edit

but I wanted to add that I have all the main fabric for Anna all bought for me(except for the cape), I also bought the shoes and wig yesterday can't wait! My friend has bought most of her fabric for Elsa as well! We did a complete overhaul on her design to make it a little easier and to blend more to how we want it to look. We are really excited so far! We decided we want to get these done by February, because there is an Ice Castle near where we live and we want to do a photoshoot up there! So excited! Just need to find someone willing to take pictures of us up there...hmmm...

I have a question for someone of you guys doing Anna and Elsa, I can't figure out a pattern for their capes. For Anna I think I have a caplet, but I havent figured out the best way to do the cape part. It's weird cuz that part doesn't really come around on the front part. I was going to see how my doll has her cape, but wanted to come see what you guys say first. Same goes for Elsa(though I don't have the doll for reference) what are you guys doing for her? I don't have a dressform either to help with draping so any suggestions would be great besides that ha ha.
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Unread 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #12910
girlinthestars
Lunarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikkijet View Post
You mean bc Tiana is a different ethnicity to tmost of other Princesses? (and you, going by your photo) guess it's difficult to know how people would react, but if you like her as a character, I don't see why you couldn't have her dress and hairstyle. Not sure about makeup though, it's been a sore point when celebs have done it so probably you would get negative reactions.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you were asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe7
I say go for it! I think the only reason why it would be controversial is if you did what is called "black face"(pretty self explanatory i think, if not it can be googled). If you don't darken your skin at all then I think it would be perfectly fine!
I wouldn't 'blackface', I want to just cosplay her respectably and well without being controversal. Um, its hard to explain what I'm trying to say. I guess I would just make her dress and hairstyle. I just wasn't sure how people would react or say to me.

Next Costumes

Minnie Mouse
Periwinkle

DeviantArt
Facebook
My Facebook Page
Tumblr
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #12911
jdoe7

Quote:
I wouldn't 'blackface', I want to just cosplay her respectably and well without being controversal. Um, its hard to explain what I'm trying to say. I guess I would just make her dress and hairstyle. I just wasn't sure how people would react or say to me.
I totally get what youre meaning. Definitely go for it! I think It'd be lovely! Tiana is my sister in law's favorite too and she is super white!(she's got red hair and fair skin). I know she'd love to cosplay Tiana someday too!
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Unread 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #12912
girlinthestars
Lunarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe7 View Post
I totally get what youre meaning. Definitely go for it! I think It'd be lovely! Tiana is my sister in law's favorite too and she is super white!(she's got red hair and fair skin). I know she'd love to cosplay Tiana someday too!
Thank for the support! I just needed some opinions about it. I'm really looking forward to doing it

Next Costumes

Minnie Mouse
Periwinkle

DeviantArt
Facebook
My Facebook Page
Tumblr
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #12913
Feysera

Quote:

Just don't darken your skin (AT ALL. not even with a darker shade of foundation than your usual) and you're okay. C: Tiana is definitely one of the under-cosplayed princesses so it'll be great if you were to do it! 8D
Feysera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #12914
AngelicLuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe7 View Post
sorry for the double post, the old internet explorer at work isn't working to let me edit

but I wanted to add that I have all the main fabric for Anna all bought for me(except for the cape), I also bought the shoes and wig yesterday can't wait! My friend has bought most of her fabric for Elsa as well! We did a complete overhaul on her design to make it a little easier and to blend more to how we want it to look. We are really excited so far! We decided we want to get these done by February, because there is an Ice Castle near where we live and we want to do a photoshoot up there! So excited! Just need to find someone willing to take pictures of us up there...hmmm...

I have a question for someone of you guys doing Anna and Elsa, I can't figure out a pattern for their capes. For Anna I think I have a caplet, but I havent figured out the best way to do the cape part. It's weird cuz that part doesn't really come around on the front part. I was going to see how my doll has her cape, but wanted to come see what you guys say first. Same goes for Elsa(though I don't have the doll for reference) what are you guys doing for her? I don't have a dressform either to help with draping so any suggestions would be great besides that ha ha.
I posted a pattern for Elsa's cape
AngelicLuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #12915
jdoe7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicLuka View Post
I posted a pattern for Elsa's cape
Are you Kenadee on tumblr? You also answered my question on there! I am going to try and see if that will work for what my friend wants Thank goodness for muslin! I know it won't give us the exact look of the drape, but itll help in visualizing the layout.

I'm so excited because I get to see Frozen again today! The husband and I are at my parents for the day and I convinced everyone to go see it with me Can't wait!
Jedi Knight - Star Wars