Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-21-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
pookie-kun
neko-boy extraordinaire!

Question Why don't convention websites have Forums?

I've been thinking a lot about this question. I think it would be very useful to everyone involved - including convention staff - to have. Some quick useful things: people can discuss the anime they will be showing in the projector rooms, types of panels that will be going on, and other such things - with other people going to the convention. It would also give the convention staff an easy way to figure out what panels people plan on going to, so they can plan for space accordingly.

Why isn't this happening? I have a few theories. First of all, it could be that the convention has trouble getting ends to meet just to get the convention space rented, along with webspace. They might not be able to afford to hire someone to set up and modorate a forum for them! Simple solution: Ask for volunteers. Many people who go to conventions would love to volunteer for something like this, and lots of them probably know how to set one up!

Second of all, you get creeps who aren't even going to the con skewing numbers on polls, etc. However, if a system is integrated with con registration - so that only people registered to the convention can post to the message board - it shouldn't be too bad at all.

Don't get me wrong - the forums here at cosplay.com are excelent for people going to conventions and stuff. However, you have to admit, it is a rather small percentage of people going to conventions nation wide that are signed up on this site. Having meeting places like this specific to each convention would help build a stronger sense of community. It can also help people who are having trouble finding transportation - find someone going to the con who lives near you, or something - they might be willing to take an extra person in their car! As a whole, I've found people going to anime conventions as a nice lot. I think that the benefits outweigh the bad points.

So what's your input? Should we crusade to get things like these opened up on convention websites? While Cosplay.com is an important source of community and all things related to cosplay, it isn't as geared towards the average convention goer as the websites are - I don't mean for this post to offend cosplay.com at all ^^()

Your daily dose of the reality that is my imagination.
pookie-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2002, 09:55 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Some of them do. It all depends on the convention. I don't go to a lot of cons, so I'm not sure how many out there do have forums, but AnimeBoston comes to my mind as a con that includes forum space on their website.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2002, 10:57 PM   #3
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

AXNY and BAAF have forums. Given no one really uses them. I think the cons should connect this site to pass info. As a staffer for Shoujocon, I was posting con info as I got my hands on it. Your best bet pookie-kun is the get on the Cosp ML - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cosp because a lot of con staffers and con heads are on there.
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
peacecraft
Frustrated Illustrator

Anime-Expo and Ani-Magic both have boards. I think it just varries from con to con.
Unread 08-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #5
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

MTAC actually has 3 boards (ezboard, vol site forum, new board on site). AWA has board also, so does Sugoi. Animazement doesn't though, wish it did.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2002, 02:18 PM   #6
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

Yeah, I wish they all had boards. It's easier to find people going to the con & to get various information that isn't listed on the site that way.
Tho cosplay.com forums are just about as good!
Unread 08-23-2002, 03:57 AM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

A-kon and Fanime have boards too. All the cons I've been to seem to have some sort of board or list...

Were there any cons in particular you noticed that lacked one? ^^ Rrr.. It seems Nan Desu Kan doesn't have one. GRR.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2002, 05:47 AM   #8
pookie-kun
neko-boy extraordinaire!

Well, Ani-magic doesn't seem to have one, and as mentioned before Animazement doesn't have one. ^^() I guess I don't really go to a lot of cons, so I didnt check around more.. I feel kinda silly now

Unread 08-24-2002, 12:36 AM   #9
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Once I get animehangout.com open (matter of a day or two) I can add a convention section that is more general public-oriented. One thing I'm thinking about doing is approaching all of the conventions themselves and inviting them to take an active role in the cosplay.com/animehangout.com experience and interact with our userbase.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 12:55 AM   #10
pookie-kun
neko-boy extraordinaire!

Ahh! Excelent idea

Unread 08-24-2002, 01:03 AM   #11
Studmaster
The King of Games!

Quote:
Originally posted by Admin
Once I get animehangout.com open (matter of a day or two) I can add a convention section that is more general public-oriented. One thing I'm thinking about doing is approaching all of the conventions themselves and inviting them to take an active role in the cosplay.com/animehangout.com experience and interact with our userbase.
Sort of like an Animeondvd.com where each company can have a represenative that keeps fans informed as to happenings at said cons?

Kickass idea
2004 has just begun. Are you ready to seize this new year, and grasp things never thought possible. Let go of the past, and the pain it may have bought. It is time to make the best of the present, to secure the future.

The 2004 Studmaster World Tour as of 11/25/03: Katuscon, Philly Gaming Classic (Satuday only), Anime Boston, Animazement Anime Next , Anime Expo, Otakon, Dragon*Con, Nekocon? Anime USA?, MagFest 3.0?
Studmaster is offline   Reply With Quote