Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
TransurrealisTristan
I'm a dude,got it?

Fake Scars?

Hi.I'm wondering how cosplayers can pull off the scars that are on characters such as Kenshin from "Rurouni Kenshin" in their cosplay.Just asking,as my mom won't let me go about with one on my face.Is there a way I can pull this off and make it look real,without my mom getting suspicions?

Looking for convention pictures?Hit up my DeviantArt to see if I got ya.
TransurrealisTristan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
NaotoKWallace
Yuricon

just use a make-up scar using latex and stage make-up. then make sure you bring make-up remover pads with you. The latex is easy to peel off, it's the make-up that's a bit of a pain, so practice beforehand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~******~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current costumes:
Kanbaru Suruga (Bakemonogatari)
Waltrud Krupinski (Strike Witches)
Akira Satou (Katawa Shoujo)
Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen (Strike Witches)
Kyouko Sakura (Puella Magi Madoka Magika)
NaotoKWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Pied
I live underwater

Rigid Collodion is supposed to make scars, if you can find it. When it dries it pulls together to make a scar appearance.
Pied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
The Big Gunns
Predator Queen

If you want an indented scar use rigid collodion. If you want a raised scar they make a gelatine like material in a squeeze tube specifically for that.

~Mel
The Big Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
distantarray

i'd just use a stencil and spray some spray tan on top of it lol, ok i'm good with hair bad with make up ideas XD
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

When I cosplayed Kenshin, I just drew my scar on with a red eyeliner pencil. Which is pretty lame xD But I mean, Kenshin's scar is drawn as two crossing lines without any real dimension to them, so it worked fine for me. Maybe I'll try something more sophisticated if I wear it again.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME-Rian View Post
Hi.I'm wondering how cosplayers can pull off the scars that are on characters such as Kenshin from "Rurouni Kenshin" in their cosplay.Just asking,as my mom won't let me go about with one on my face.Is there a way I can pull this off and make it look real,without my mom getting suspicions?
Why won't she let you go about with one on your face? It sounds pretty harmless to me....
Unread 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
TransurrealisTristan
I'm a dude,got it?

verdatum:To answer your question,I am allowed to do some cosplays and forbidden to do some as well.Like,I can't wear a bikini cosplay,like Princess Lum for example.

What I actually want to pull off is doing Kilik's V-shaped scar from SCIII.However,the only materials I know on hand is a red pencil for sketching.Will this work?

Unread 04-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
C.C.
Dynamite with a Laserbeam

you could always use scare wax and makeup. actually if you fair of skin, you only really need a little red and skin tones make up if you use scar wax. however its super sticky, so do some practices first.

if you wanna go the latex route, makeing sure your skin is clean and oil free (try using an astringent of some type) then, just put the latex on you face (you should do a few coats) and pinch it together while it is still sticky. powder if you like the was it looks like that (you can use baby powder) personally i would add a little makeup on top of that to make it blend better. you can use any regular cream make up with it as long as you put a layer of caster oil between the latex and the make up. it doesnt have to be thick a layer. regular make up will not stick to the latex otherwise. you can buy caster oil lots of places...just tell you mom your having stomach problems. also if you choose to use latex, im pretty sure after you've gotten the general idea of what you want down, you can make the scares before hand on like a hand mirror or something. that way you can have back ups!
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
TransurrealisTristan
I'm a dude,got it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
you could always use scare wax and makeup. actually if you fair of skin, you only really need a little red and skin tones make up if you use scar wax. however its super sticky, so do some practices first.

if you wanna go the latex route, makeing sure your skin is clean and oil free (try using an astringent of some type) then, just put the latex on you face (you should do a few coats) and pinch it together while it is still sticky. powder if you like the was it looks like that (you can use baby powder) personally i would add a little makeup on top of that to make it blend better. you can use any regular cream make up with it as long as you put a layer of caster oil between the latex and the make up. it doesnt have to be thick a layer. regular make up will not stick to the latex otherwise. you can buy caster oil lots of places...just tell you mom your having stomach problems. also if you choose to use latex, im pretty sure after you've gotten the general idea of what you want down, you can make the scares before hand on like a hand mirror or something. that way you can have back ups!
O_O Holy crappola!That's a lot of work for one scar!Hmm...I may experiment with what I got and if it works,I'll probably post my scar making regiment here.

Maybe I'll be famous for a new method of scar making...

Unread 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
mandalastudios

umm don't want to be pessimistic but I'd be wary of painting too much latex straight onto your face.

I've done it once and it worked great - no issues, really great effect

Second time I did it I got horrific chemical burns. As I was doing a full face effect it was a little embarassing going into work....for the next week or so....

Could be the latex was a bit old or something - but I steer clear of it now. I'll use it to blend prosthetics but thats about it.

For scars I sculpt in clay, plaster mould and then create a latex/silicone/gelatin prosthetic - then blend in.
Unread 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalastudios View Post
umm don't want to be pessimistic but I'd be wary of painting too much latex straight onto your face.

I've done it once and it worked great - no issues, really great effect

Second time I did it I got horrific chemical burns. As I was doing a full face effect it was a little embarassing going into work....for the next week or so....

Could be the latex was a bit old or something - but I steer clear of it now. I'll use it to blend prosthetics but thats about it.

For scars I sculpt in clay, plaster mould and then create a latex/silicone/gelatin prosthetic - then blend in.
I'd be carefull if I were you. What you describe as a "chemical burn" sounds to me like an allergic reaction to latex. Allergies should be a serious concern when dealing with liquid latex especially. Even if latex has been fine in previous uses, the allergy can be acquired at any time in life. It's important to never apply latex over damaged skin. Always test a small bit of liquid latex on an inconspicuous place, such as the underside of the arm. If any irritation is detected, abort.

Liquid latex made for cosmetic application is supposed to be low in ammonia content. Cheaper cosmetic liquid latex and more industrial grades of liquid latex (such as mask latex or balloon latex) can contain higher ammounts of ammonia. And ammonia is in fact a corrosive. To reduce the ammonia content, latex should either be cured in advance (by making an effect on a piece of glass, peeling it off and adhearing it to the skin) or applied in numerous thin layers, allowing each to dry before proceeding. This should be done in a well ventillated area, and when used underneath or near the eyes, proper care should be taken to protect the eyes from the ammonia fumes.
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
mandalastudios

it was definitely a burn. It happened on two of us - and we've both being using latex with wild abandon for years. This was a last minute halloween costume idea (when you decide at 5pm that you need a mask making....)

I should however point out that we use industrial grade latex - not cosmetic stuff - mainly cos we have vats of the stuff knocking about. And its cheap. And skin grows back. Usually. We're a lot more careful on things we make for other people!

Just saying, be careful as most latex that comes with things like ear tips is the same stuff - as verdatum says, get specific cosmetic grade if you're really going to do this.
Unread 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #14
Kaitou Kage

Does anyone have any websites or shops to recommend getting latex from to make a scar with? The scar I have in mind will cover about 1/3 of my face (Prince Zuko from Avatar, for those who know the character).
Kaitou Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
The_Killer_Hare
Bunny of Death

Let's make this simple guys. Get some fake blood and do it up like it was freshly done, bada bing bada boom.
The_Killer_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote