Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Marvel Universe

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
dark_times

Mary-Jane Watson (Spiderman) Ideas

Hi all -

I've been asked to go along to a Spiderman costume event (based more on the film than the comics) where we'll be heading out to see Spiderman 3, and have been specifically requested to go as MJ. I'm catching up on the films as I write this - I've already seen the first and have the second to watch pretty soon, but seeing as I'm new to the Spiderman phenomenon, I'm not entirely sure what to wear.

I'm a teenage girl with red hair anyway, so that shouldn't be much of a problem, but I'd like it if I could have some ideas so that I'm immediately recogniseable as my character without it being too utterly 'normal' and boring; especially as there might be others going as the same character.

If anyone has any ideas of costumes that won't be too expensive and that I can get hold of in a week, please post your suggestions!

Much appreciated,

Elizabeth
dark_times is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Drackt
Loves guyliner. Too much.

I always liked her red cheongsam from the first movie-
Only good image.

But, you'd either have to be lucky to find an Asian gift shop near you (They sometimes run about $60) or use this pattern-
McCall's M4369

Completed cosplays (from last fall to now)-
Rumpelstiltskin-Red/Black outfit...always in progress (Once Upon A Time)
Rumpelstiltskin-Alchemist outfit (Once Upon A Time)
Rapunzel

In Progress-
Cinderella
Vampire Girl (Original)

Planned-
Too much, but I've had to put it on hold due to reasons beyond my control. However, I'm attempting to recreate Leezar's wardrobe from "Your Highness"...one down, four to go.
Drackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
vampirate

I did the red dress from the first movie mentioned above one year for Halloween. I just used a red Chinese dress I happened to have that I got in Chinatown in D.C., dyed my hair, did my best to get my hair up like hers, and made the shawl(or whatever it is) out of some fabric from Walmart.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
dark_times

Thanks for that, it jogged my memory...I have a dress which is incredibly similar, just in black-and-white, which I could get away with wearing; I'm not sure how serious everyone will be about the costumes and as I'll have my boyfriend as Spiderman next to me, I assume people will know who I am. As I said, my hair's already red, which isn't a problem in that case (and I can tease out the curls to make it simply wavy). I guess the colour change is cheating in a way but it shouldn't matter since it's been late notice.

Any suggestions for props etc. though? Make-up tips for her? I can't think of any right now, but...if anyone could, I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help,

Elizabeth
Unread 04-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
heroslayer5

yeah i think that u shouldnt use the dress u have if its black and white. it should be red.
heroslayer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
dark_times

Hmm. It's a slight problem though, seeing as I don't want to have to go out and buy a new dress....well, correction, I don't have the money right now to go and do it. Still, I've spoken to the people concerned and it appears there'll only be three of us - two spidermen (black and 'normal'), with me as MJ - after all, which means that it's not as much of a problem as I'd first thought.

Alternatively, I could scrape together some money and go shopping this weekend...=).

Thanks for all the help.

Elizabeth