Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Australia

Unread 04-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #46
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

Hiya just posting in this thread;

I'm a cosplayer from Holland (far far faaaaar away) but I'm moving with my parents to New Zealand next year (February\March) and I was wondering what kind of conventions there are in both New Zealand AND Australia, where they are, and which ones are recommended on going to. Anything else I should know about cosplaying in New Zealand...

I'm not planning to give up my hobby just yet! XD
Lisu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #47
CPOK
Natural born Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisu-chan View Post
Hiya just posting in this thread;

I'm a cosplayer from Holland (far far faaaaar away) but I'm moving with my parents to New Zealand next year (February\March) and I was wondering what kind of conventions there are in both New Zealand AND Australia, where they are, and which ones are recommended on going to. Anything else I should know about cosplaying in New Zealand...

I'm not planning to give up my hobby just yet! XD

Donno about bout cons on the kiwi side, but in Australia there are several cons. There is AI-Con in Hobart. AV-Con in Adelaide. Supanova in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Manifest in Melbourne. Animania in Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney. Smash in Melbourne and Sydney. Possibly Gen-con in Brisbane (depending on how it goes this year).

I think that is all the cons over here (if I have forgotten any, please feel free to correct me)

CPOK
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #48
Mucai
Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojosassistant View Post
since they killed anime.au.
No one ‘killed’ anime.au. It is on hiatus. The anime.au committee is unable to run the event with only 5 committee members in the country and only 6 people turning up to do any useful amount of volunteer work.

Quote:
I'm a cosplayer from Holland (far far faaaaar away)
I was there last July ;P[/quote]
Quote:
I was wondering what kind of conventions there are in both New Zealand AND Australia, where they are, and which ones are recommended on going to. Anything else I should know about cosplaying in New Zealand...
My understanding is that New Zealand doesn’t have many events with anime/manga content. There is only really Armageddon. (Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland. They are moving into Australia (Melbourne and Sydney) after the deal they had with Supanova collapsed.) Armageddon, like Supanova, isn’t a convention. It is an expo. Most of it is focused on the traders and the guests with very little in the way of events or screenings.

In Australia there is:
Supanova (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth)
Manifest [+minifest] (Melbourne, main convention tends to be in September. Mini con tends to be in April – Manifest is the biggest anime convention in Australia)
AVCon (Adelaide – tends to be in July. Appears to have more of a focus on gaming then anime)
SMASH (Sydney – August)
WAI-Con (Perth – December)
AI-Con (Hobart – February)
Animania (Sydney – October + mini events in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Animania is vastly overhyped. It is pretty much the worst convention in Australia. Overpriced, few traders, lots of lying going on in the background. If I were you, I’d avoid it if at all possible.)

There are other conventions (gaming, scifi) with cosplay, but I don't keep up with those.

Last edited by Mucai : 04-18-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Mucai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #49
MaskofRed
Fullmetal Aussie

I'm from Australia and it's nice to see our New Zealand friends calling this forum home.

I cosplay Sanji, the people in my sig and Reno though I always seem to pick up more.

Ichijo Takuma (Vampire Knight)
Fai (Tsubasa - black and red version)
Gaara Shippuuden (nearly finished)
Ameranth Ball - Yuki Cross (Vampire Knight)

AKA: RedPirate on Manifest and AICON forums
MaskofRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #50
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

Thanks for all the help... I think depending on how much the flight tickets are... I stick to Manifest for now, since it sounds biggest!

And I'll avoid Animania, because I know all about expensive under-evented conventions...

@Mucai; And you were here last July? Holiday? Can't imagine someone wants to go on holiday here... XD
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #51
Mucai
Magical Girl

Quote:
@Mucai; And you were here last July? Holiday? Can't imagine someone wants to go on holiday here... XD
Yep, holiday. Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Nieuwegein and Utrecht. Met up with some friends.
Mucai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #52
DominantSp3cies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskofRed View Post
I'm from Australia and it's nice to see our New Zealand friends calling this forum home.

I cosplay Sanji, the people in my sig and Reno though I always seem to pick up more.
Plz remember that there is no NZ forum, u Auusie obviously want sumthing, u neva, eva dat nice 2 us

Pece Owt
DominantSp3cies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #53
U_ne_korn
Kiwi Cosplay!

Hey Dominant species and Lisu :-D

Kiwi here; while we tried to invade the Aussie forum, I don't think it actually got anywhere. Mostly the kiwi's, especially the wellingtonians who hang out on this forum do it here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...=wellyge ddon

We hang out other places too, but this is where most of the Wellingtonians chat.

And while Armageddon IS a trade expo, it DOES have an anime/manga content. Just, much more selling. But it's a HUGE cosplay event, and we do try! It was just this weekend in Wellington.
U_ne_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #54
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

Thank you U_ne_korn! ^_^

I'm not ready to hang out, yet, since I won't be living there for another half year, but I DID wanted to know about some cons... When I live there, and know what you're talking about (places and suches) I'll stalk you guys like shareware!
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #55
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

Lisu-chan! I recognise you from the Samurai Warriors thread! I want to get over to NZ to check out their cons, or if you're coming over to Australia for some cons, we definitely must hang out!!!

Last edited by Melanie : 04-24-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #56
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Lisu-chan! I recognise you from the Samurai Warriors thread! I want to get over to NZ to check out their cons, or if you're coming over to Australia for some cons, we definitely must hang out!!!
Yay Melanie! We DEFINIATELY NEED to do something Samura Warriors together! ^_^ I'm more then willingly to come to Australia for that!
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #57
KimDao

Hey everyone ^^
I'm from Perth, so I'll be attending the SuperNova con next month. I was just wondering if anyone else from here is also going? I'm going as Sailor Moon. Also, does anyone else know if there will be cosplaying in the go3 convention?
KimDao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #58
luvxcloudstrife
Evil that's lemon scented

Hey, I'm also from Perth!
I'm going to Supanova, but not go3.
On another random yet somewhat important note, I demand more cons for Australia and New Zealand!!!

Social life? Psh Who needs that when I have cosplay?
luvxcloudstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #59
Riven
そうで&

Quote:
On another random yet somewhat important note, I demand more cons for Australia and New Zealand!!!
I second that demand!

Heyas all, I'm Riven, from CHCH over here in NZ, and so far I've cosplayed Kikyo (inuyasha) and Ed (FMA).

and I can't wait for CHCHgeddon next year....

PIMP: Kiwis (and any aussies who feel the need) come and join the Cosplay NZ forums over here: url: [url="http://cosplaynewzealand.forummotion.com"]

Last edited by Riven : 05-19-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #60
CPOK
Natural born Nutcase

Is it a sheep free zone? j/k...I might have a look. I might be moving over there next year.