Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Matsuri

Unread 04-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #31
CoolKidMitch
Cool Kid Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisainekocat View Post
On the other hand, all the congoers I met were fantastic. Great talking to you, Beansalad!
You too cat

Who knows

---Next Con----
Oni-con?

Living Life on LJ
CoolKidMitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #32
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

I'm just gonna write this on behalf of all of Twinzik--

Overall, we actually -did- have a nice time. Not a great time, not an amazing time, but a nice one.

But here was our main problem.

We were told WEEKS before the convention that the cosplay contest would take place on Saturday, as most sane conventions do. Therefore, we planned on driving up there from Sweeny, which is only an hour away, on Saturday so we wouldn't have to worry about paying for a hotel room. Hohoo, come to find that Friday evening we receive a call to tell us that, gasp, the contest was held that day. So we missed it. We'd spent such a long time perfecting our skit, which is the infamous, "should have been performed at Onicon" skit that everyone hears about. XD

And to be honest, we didn't even have time to buy our badges. ><; The line was unbearably long on Saturday, and so we just walked around waiting for it to get a bit shorter. It never did.

However! The good points!

We got to hang out with awesome congoers and cosplayers; some that we already knew and some new ones, too!

There was this scavenger hunt thing going on [Naruto related], and we were one of the "missions", being that the person had to either get a picture of Paine, Yuna, and Rikku, or bring them to the gathering room, which was pretty cool!

The Tai players were AMAZING, and we were even interviewed by the Anime Access crew from Anime Network.

And, err... if anyone actually -gets- that channel... send me a message! I'll probably ask for ya to record it. XD

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #33
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

I guess i should post
D:

SO Anime Matsuri huh?
Most of the problems with the con I have have been covered in detail, but the worst things I ran into were the Cosplay show being so horribly run (and I don't blame anyone but the geniouses who thought they could go without a Cos Director till 3 hours before hand)

The Reg line made me want to cry. 2 and a half hours...
T_______T

Charging for the program. I know it was expensive, add the cost into the badge price.

So really, all the con suck made me wonder why I waisted my precious time going...it being the weekend before finals. Not attending AM2...not by a longshot.

Of course there was fun to be had, and as always it was just hanging out with the cool kids. The Bleach Shoot went very well, thanks to everyone that attended. Sorry for the mix up, I don't know how it spread it was at 4 D:
I hope Twister made up for it.

So I guess thanks to everyone that made the con suck less:
Bleachers, ACDF, Team Crayola (even is SOMEONE forgot the 80's megamix), Amaya and Nicepants
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:05 AM   #34
peony
Future Pixar Employee

so hey guys, did anyone get a picture of me as Claire from Heroes? I think only like...three people asked for a pciture but it's worth a shot asking XDDD
FRIDAY: Claire Bennet - Heroes
SATURDAY: Katara - Avatar the Last Airbender
SKIT: Phoenix Wright : 4Kids Entertainment VS The Dubbed Anime (extended version)
peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #35
rednecko

Why a con charges for a Program Book is beyond me? Anime USA has a full color book and we do not charge an extra $5 for it. It is part of the membership fee. Three hours is an unacceptable time frame for picking up or registering. I agree with you on that.
rednecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #36
rabidfanboy
Otokogurui

My gallery is up with the few pics I took.

http://rabidfanboy.com/images/cons/a...i/index01.html

~rabidfanboy.com | Adventures in Cosplaying~
rabidfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #37
yayahan
YayaHan.com

I won't repeat what many others have said about what this con did wrong or what went wrong... being a first year con obviously Anime Matsuri made mistakes, and I sincerely hope that they will learn from this edition and do a few things differently next year.
My big question mark all weekend was why the cosplay contest was on Friday and they squeezed two full concerts, a live stunt fight performance and an arcade game tournament all into Saturday night's line up. To me it would seem more logical to set the concerts apart to draw in more people to both shows, and start them earlier in the day, where more people would be present at the con. The show started so late that many left half way through, and I can only imagine that it's because they were tired or had curfews.
I personally would rather see a cosplay contest, which is like a variety show where you can sit back and just enjoy, late at night, than stand in a mosh pit trying to get the energy up to jam to two bands.
From chatting briefly with a con organizer I was told that they were trying a lot of brand new things for this con, including the programming and times. I found out that the cosplay contest will always remain on Friday, so hopefully by next year people will be more used and prepared for this.
I also was told that they indeed had some troubles with the printing ahead of the event and will provide free schedules next year.

The cosplay contest went really well given the circumstances I think. I applaud Michael for taking on such a challenging task so late in the game. Thank you for the hard work!
I definitely am confused over how the con organized the award ceremony though... it really put us judges on the spot announcing the winners on Friday night but not having any awards to present. I hope those who left before Sunday morning's award breakfast will be able to get in touch with the event organizers to receive your trophies, cash awards, and/or prizes.
Please, if you won at the cosplay contest on Friday or at the runway contest on Saturday, make sure you email your addresses and other info to the con chair so they can send your awards.

Btw, for those interested in who won, I can't believe I still remember the list lol. Sorry if I don't know you guy's names, please feel free to add to this list.
Friday Cosplay Contest Winners
Best in Show - Spike Spiegel and Faye Valentine (Lady Marion and Cloudface)
1st Runner Up - The Goddess (JennyBunny)
2nd Runner Up - Cervantes (RabidFanboy)
Best Craftsmanship - Kairi and Namine from Kingdom Hearts (lil krn yuna and misaki chan7213)
Best Skit - Gravitation Group by Disco Sushi Productions
Best Stage Presentation - Peter Griffin and the Chicken (Family Guy)
Best Original - Queen of Hearts
Judges Award - Trinity Blood Rosen Kreuz Duo (Rocieru and Hackpuppet)
Judges Award - Kingdom Hearts DDR skit
Judges Award - Naruto and Sasuke by Split Image Cosplay (Genki-uHinagiku and miaka2u)

Saturday Runway Contest
1st Place - Rocky Girls
2nd Place - Spike Spiegel and Faye Valentine (Lady Marion and Cloudface)
3rd Place - Cloud from Advent Children

Last edited by yayahan : 05-02-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: adding to the winners list
yayahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #38
chisainekocat
Harr0

Thank you, Yaya, for helping Michael and the other volunteer with the work. He certainly had a lot of work, but he had some great help, too. =) My previous post has been corrected once I cleared some details.

In the Friday contest, I know the Kairi and Namine were lil krn yuna and misaki chan7213, respectively.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #39
RavenSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkuX View Post

RavenSkies - the reason they moved people was because when they started loading people into the theater...row by row...it took so long that a lot of people outside waiting left...so they weren't able to fill the entire theater like they had planned. The show, as you saw - consisted of me running through the audience...which with everyone in the front seating area, would complicate and change the performance (cuz all the sound equipment was up there)...which is why they moved people.

i see. ok well then they should have started loading everyone to the bottom sides first then. still kinda makes me mad. i just don't like being moved.=[
RavenSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #40
Rocieru
Renew With Flame

Yaya Sama, it was a nice experience meeting you and to find out you are not a bit less a very kind and gentle person Besides the ultimate cosplay making skill. which defined all the rumors I heard against you as bullshit.

FYI, we were the Rosen Kreuz Pair. Myself as Isaak Fernand von Kampfer and my g/f, Hackpuppet as Dietrich von Lohengrin.
---------------------------------------------------------------
chisainekocat sama, you have been yet the cutest and most correct Jam I personally met ever. its a pity to me for not putting my Bridget on for a shot with you. If you don't mind, maybe we can fugure something out in Akon?

BTW, thanks for providing the Kairi and Namines' cosplay alias, I'll have to track them down and say hi cuz they are too cute. Again, its the cosplayers that made up my con, thank you all for holding the con from sucked more.
Rocieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #41
Farasha
Spazkat

The Naruto and Sasuke judge's award was Split Image Cosplay, but I don't know their usernames on cosplay.com or even if they're on here. I also know the Advent Children Cloud who got third in the runway IRL, but I'm almost positive he's not on here. They were both at the awards breakfast though, so I don't suppose it matters too much.

ETA: Also, Faye was Lady Marion and Spike was Cloudface (Lady Marion has a cosplay.com account, Cloudface doesn't).

Convention Schedule
Anime Matsuri 2013 March 29-31
A-kon 2013 May 31-June 2
San Japan 2013 August 16-18

Costume Plans
Princess Euphemia Li Britannia - Code Geass
Duchess Satine of Mandalor - Star Wars the Clone Wars

Last edited by Farasha : 05-01-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Farasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #42
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Thank you so much for the winner's list, Yaya! I was really interested to see who won! <3

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #43
CoolKidMitch
Cool Kid Mitch

if anyone intrested, i did a video blog ranting about anime matsuri.

Yaya, thank you for posting on here your thoughts on the con. When I saw you there, for some reason I had this idea in my mind that you were going along with the con staff and ignore everything else, the video rant does not give you a very good image, but now that I see that you too disagreed with the way the con was run I do apologize for anything bad I have said about you. Please forgive me oh great cosplaying goddess *bows*

Link to my Youtube AM Rant

Who knows

---Next Con----
Oni-con?

Living Life on LJ
CoolKidMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #44
chisainekocat
Harr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocieru View Post
Yaya Sama, it was a nice experience meeting you and to find out you are not a bit less a very kind and gentle person Besides the ultimate cosplay making skill. which defined all the rumors I heard against you as bullshit.

FYI, we were the Rosen Kreuz Pair. Myself as Isaak Fernand von Kampfer and my g/f, Hackpuppet as Dietrich von Lohengrin.
---------------------------------------------------------------
chisainekocat sama, you have been yet the cutest and most correct Jam I personally met ever. its a pity to me for not putting my Bridget on for a shot with you. If you don't mind, maybe we can fugure something out in Akon?

BTW, thanks for providing the Kairi and Namines' cosplay alias, I'll have to track them down and say hi cuz they are too cute. Again, its the cosplayers that made up my con, thank you all for holding the con from sucked more.
Why, thank you! ^_^ Unfortunately, so far I do not plan to bring Jam along to A-kon due to luggage reasons. However, I will most likely wear Jam again in Atsuicon or Onicon. I would actually like to get a shot of you, too. You and your gf's Rosen Kreuz cosplay was astonishing. Your award was very well deserved!

Yaya is certainly a kind and sweet lady. You are welcome to have my shrimp chips anytime, Yaya. =)

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/

Last edited by chisainekocat : 05-01-2007 at 05:32 PM.
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #45
loserific
Zombie Seamstress

I was the Shuichi in the Gravitaion group. ^^ We are Disco Sushi Productions. ^^ The Kuma is Wish on here and the Yuna is Sypris. Yuki and Tohma do not have cosplay.com names though.

The Naruto of Split Image Cosplay is Genki-uHinagiku and the Sasuke is miaka2u here on cosplay.com. They were really nice and had some awesome costumes. <33

The cosplayers saved the con for me as well, really. I loved it all. Yaya you are so nice in person!! It was nice to meet you~!!

Since this was a first con, it went through the bad stages, and hopefully they will learn if they want people to come back. As of now, I don't know if our group will come back. We will most likely since it's the only con right now that we can attend all three days without conflict. Hopefully things will get better.

It also bothered me about all the cosplay mess because by looking at the website it seemed to me that the con was really encouraging cosplay. But yeah, it didn't seem like it at many times.

And on one last thing, I really wanted to check out the cosplay panels on Friday, but couldn't due to the long reg lines. >>;;; We pre-reged and still waited two hours.
loserific is offline   Reply With Quote