Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

random historical pattern question

Anyone know where I might find patterns for historical clothing/uniforms? I'm specifically looking for an 1850's U.S. naval uniform, but I know that's pushing it. Anything from that period that can be modded to look right will do; what I'm most concerned about is the jacket, and so far my searches have not turned up anything appropriate. This is pretty much the only reference I have right now, but I'm working on obtaining more.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
vampirate

The Jean Hunnisett pattern books are pretty good for historical stuff. You need giant sheets of graph paper to use them though.

pastpatterns.com might have something useful for you too.

And you might want to check in nearby university libraries for period costume pattern books. Our library just happened to really kick ass and be useful for even things like that.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Satine

There are pattern diagrams online too for Victorian era men's suits on costumes.org but if you are after a full scale pattern I understand some of the big three pattern compaies offer them. Butterick I think has been mentioned.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Berzerker_prime
Harmless Historical Nut

Look in the costume sections of the pattern books for any of the "big three" (McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity). They usually have some good patterns for Civil War and Victorian era reenactment stuff. Not sure about naval uniforms, but you can always check for 'em. But you have to look in the costume sections, otherwise you won't see 'em.

Berz (fellow historical reenactor).

Masquerade Director for Geek.Kon.2013

Chairman - Costume Con Madison, 2016
Berzerker_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
VonDan
Leather Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker_prime View Post
Look in the costume sections of the pattern books for any of the "big three" (McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity). They usually have some good patterns for Civil War and Victorian era reenactment stuff. Not sure about naval uniforms, but you can always check for 'em. But you have to look in the costume sections, otherwise you won't see 'em.

Berz (fellow historical reenactor).
Bf-zar I just made the same recomendation on another forum. I always check Jo Anns Fabrics they always have the patterns from one of those "Big 3" on sale for half price and often 99 cents. I have about 30 sets from those 3 and have not paid more then $2 for any of them. Look under costumes and historical if they seperate them. They always have sets for the American revolution and the civil war. Also hit web site for civil war reencators, in 1861 a lot of the 1850 style stuff would have still been around and any updates would not be much diffrent.

and can you say who or what you are working on
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDan View Post
and can you say who or what you are working on
LOL, believe it or not we're trying to do a Commodore Perry costume. Pants and shirt shouldn't be too hard, but that jacket's gonna be a pain in the rear.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 05-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
VonDan
Leather Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
LOL, believe it or not we're trying to do a Commodore Perry costume. Pants and shirt shouldn't be too hard, but that jacket's gonna be a pain in the rear.

--Penny
Ahh haa doing a Bushido Blade Cosplay

Hmmm I have a lot of Uniform reference books but not many on the navy, i'll look, BUT but my library is all in boxes and tossed behind the couch in the office.

A good start would be to find Civil War uniform pattern either from a fabric store or a reenactor web site. I have a few trunks of Civil war clothes coming in next week when a friend assembles his collection in my show room as rentals but it's all army and not navy (some was made from 100 year old wool) . I think a good start would be a pattern for Confed General Lee (His jacket has a prussion collar like Perry's but make it in Blue wool. Perry did his Japan thing in 1854 only 7 years before the civil war so the change would not be that great. Ohh Another reffrence go to the library and look for the big spendy picture books on military uniforms and Insignia

Checking the navy website (Not many picture) but it does say that last Uniform change before the civil war was in 1852 and lasted untill 1864. So a early Civil war navy uniform would legaly be what he should have been wearing in 1854

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq59-28.htm

Last edited by VonDan : 05-09-2007 at 11:08 PM.
VonDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Thanks, VonDan, you are awesome! *salutes*

--Penny
Unread 05-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
VonDan
Leather Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Thanks, VonDan, you are awesome! *salutes*

--Penny
Be sure to tell your aunt Vondan is awesome

Von "Some time my plan works" Dan