Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Irate Cosplay
proudly gheTTo

Staying real to a series when making your own design

I've been really, really nervous about making my Apprentice Pyramid Head design since the Silent Hill world has a very dark atmosphere that's reflected in the monsters and characters. How often is this problem run into? I've seen plenty of original cosplay that, to be honest, did no justice to the original series. I understand Gag cosplay, but if you seriously want to do an original character, you should at least do a little research to find out what makes your game, movie, or series what it is. Espeically if you're going off of one of the actual characters. Like all of these 'siblings' and SnJ works. I'm pretty proud of my design and think it goes well with the Big PH everybody knows and loves, but I know a lot of people don't worry about that. Does anyone else think they should?

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Blood!Seras - Hellsing Sun!Kumo - Original Character
Rocket Grunt - Pokemon VideoDuel!Pegasus - Yuugiou
Irate Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

When I did my SnJ Orochimaru it was not just Woooopy bikini-time! Ofcourse I did a bikini, but decided to add the purple thing around the waist as well, did my hair in ponytails, but left some hair as bangs, also I did the Orochimaru make-up, the purple around his eyes... People immediately guessed right, about my cosplay.

Ah yes I bodypainted myself white, maybe that's why?! XD
Lisu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Irate Cosplay
proudly gheTTo

=D See, that's what I mean! Working at it to make yourself believable. -highfivetime-

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Irate Cosplay
proudly gheTTo

Thread Revive. >.>; I'm still wondering about this topic.

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Unread 07-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Well, I'd kind of have to see it to judge. Most SnJ and other OC cosplay are absolutely terrible, to be brutally honest. They lack creativity a lot of the time. This "Apprentice PH" sounds intriguing, but tbh not sure how many people would get it.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Irate Cosplay
proudly gheTTo

I know. x-x; Usually it's a person in a Bikini with /maybe/ the right colored hair for the first, or someone in normal clothes claiming to be an OC. Really bugs me.

I'm not sure if I'm still going with an apprentice, since I made this thread a while back, or an actual Femme Pyramid Head that I'm just doing for fun. Not a PH with a miniskirt or a piece of bandage around my chest, but a Pyramid Head that might be created for a sort of upper class woman. I have the design sketched out, I just need to solidify it.

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Unread 07-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irate Cosplay View Post
I know. x-x; Usually it's a person in a Bikini with /maybe/ the right colored hair for the first, or someone in normal clothes claiming to be an OC. Really bugs me.

I'm not sure if I'm still going with an apprentice, since I made this thread a while back, or an actual Femme Pyramid Head that I'm just doing for fun. Not a PH with a miniskirt or a piece of bandage around my chest, but a Pyramid Head that might be created for a sort of upper class woman. I have the design sketched out, I just need to solidify it.
I dunno, I think I'd laugh my ass off at a PH in a miniskirt with bandage wrap, but I dunno if I'd catch on if it was PH in sort of victorian clothing. I'd have to see it, like I said. ^^;
Yeah, I really resent the whole SnJ thing. People don't realize that hey, maybe the character's SnJ would be different from each other. Like, the hairstyle could be different, or the swimsuit cut. People just think inside the box all the time, which is what makes it a really worn-out and overdone costume. Not to mention that SnJ is really only canon for only Naruto and Konohamaru...
Unread 07-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Irate Cosplay
proudly gheTTo

MY FMA dork side sees Roy yelling 'miniskirts!' xD
I'm still trying to decide which idea would be the best. I may end up with my Apprentice since any PH I've ever seen at a Con was, like, half a foot taller than me and I look -really- young for my age.

I don't mind a well thought out SnJ like Lisu's. Most of them are a big NO for me, though. -nod-

PLANNED COSPLAYS

Last edited by Irate Cosplay : 07-21-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Unread 07-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Tallus
Koitsu wa, ore no BANKAI!

I think I'm lost...how did "apprentice PH" get to "woman PH?" The only way I could see a female PH being done any justice is if the overall design was kept very closely to the original or movie PH. Maybe make a color change to the helmet (rusty orange instead of rusty red, for example) and maybe taping the cleavage in different ways so it looks distorted. I could see a female PH not even wearing something on the chest area (I mean, regular PH doesn't even wear pants under his apron) but for con-safety I'd say to just extend the apron upwards rather than a tube-top. PH isn't supposed to be sexy in any way...and PH-chan makes me cry.
Tallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
vampirate

I've talked about this a fair amount in other threads but basically if you're changing a character's gender or something basically good to use the magic "if"(*hahah* sort of, sorry dorky theatre terms coming out here). You look at the design, and think about the character, and think to yourself, "Well, if we change this one thing and they were a girl(or whatever, I'm seen some good holiday costumes too for example) what would they look like then." (Although normally the magic "if" refers to acting and is a way to imagine how the character would feel.)
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallus View Post
I think I'm lost...how did "apprentice PH" get to "woman PH?" The only way I could see a female PH being done any justice is if the overall design was kept very closely to the original or movie PH. Maybe make a color change to the helmet (rusty orange instead of rusty red, for example) and maybe taping the cleavage in different ways so it looks distorted. I could see a female PH not even wearing something on the chest area (I mean, regular PH doesn't even wear pants under his apron) but for con-safety I'd say to just extend the apron upwards rather than a tube-top. PH isn't supposed to be sexy in any way...and PH-chan makes me cry.
PH-Chan is an obvious joke though. If someone was trying to seriously sexy up PH's design (which is oddly sexy on it's own...) then they would only fall flat on their face and draw hit from an exceptionally critical fandom.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irate Cosplay View Post
MY FMA dork side sees Roy yelling 'miniskirts!' xD
I'm still trying to decide which idea would be the best. I may end up with my Apprentice since any PH I've ever seen at a Con was, like, half a foot taller than me and I look -really- young for my age.

I don't mind a well thought out SnJ like Lisu's. Most of them are a big NO for me, though. -nod-
I think, to make sure people figure it out, make your weapon of choice smaller and do something to give it away...like when another PH is swinging a giant butcher knife around, pretend to take notes. XD
Yeah Miniskirts is another way-overdone thing. That one's not even canon because it never even happened.
(If it happened in the manga, don't tell me. I'm on vol. 9.)
Unread 07-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #13
Irate Cosplay
proudly gheTTo

Apprentice became Woman PH because I was deciding between ideas. ^-^; Sorry if I'm jumping around and being confusing.

I've definitely thought of a Woman PH not wearing a top, but I don't think the makers of any con would appreciate that, as you said. If someone was going to try and make a feminine, but sexy PH they would have to be curvy. That's the only way I can see it. And I. . .am not. x-x;

Hur, taking notes. I didn't think about that. xD When I was carrying my friend's Great Knife that he made, it looked HUGE up against my shortness. -is a petite 15-

PLANNED COSPLAYS