Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > United Kingdom

Unread 07-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
.:Mage.Lulu:.
The BLACK MAGE

United Kingdom delivery laws anyone?

Hey ^_^
Erm.. Okay, this MAY be a really dumbass question to ask, and for that I apologize greatly. Anyway, I'm in the midst of making my Harkonnen Cannon for LondonExpo and I wanted to get a toy machine gun to base it on..
Although I can only find what I want from a site based in the states and because they aren't familiar with our local laws and whatnot (and neither am I, hence this thread ;]) they can't guarantee delivery (and don't offer refunds because of this).

Since we've had a load of trouble with terrorism and gun crime and whatnot and kids running riot with replicas, would they still allow a toy gun into the country..? Its not like its a working replica, all it does is make sound and is made from plastic. ^_^
I'd really appreciate any help, I just don't want to end up spending money on it if it wont even get delivered in the end.

Thanks!

EDIT: For reference, the site I'm talking about is www.kapowwe.com if anyone's interested or has had experience with this company before now.

No MaTTeR HoW DaRK THe NiGHT... MoRNiNG aLWaYS CoMeS ...

Last edited by .:Mage.Lulu:. : 07-28-2007 at 12:38 PM.
.:Mage.Lulu:. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Rosieal
Magister Mundi Sum

I believe there shouldn't be a problem as long as they label the goods as "toy" or "toy gun". I've had a real set of katanas delivered to me, but then it was within the UK.
Rosieal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
PrinceMark

Hiya Lulu,

I am really surprised you can't find something suitable in the UK! :O

I have had friends purchase "Airsoft" weapons from the US before, and as Ghost says, as long as they clearly label it Toy or Gift then there shouldn't be problems.

Out of interest (and because I know a fair few places for toy guns etc) what kind of gun are you looking for?
PrinceMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
nadesico81
Cosplay Anime Otaku

Most Air Soft guns can be bought in the UK. I picked up a bad ass M4-A1 air soft rifle for my FMP cosplay.

Keep in mind if you import from Japan or the USA you will have to pay 17.5 % apr plus 13 pounds its happened to all my guns ive bought also they will keep it at a depo you will get a letter telling you to pick it up or you can call them ( the number is on the letter ) and they will bring it to your house it takes 1 day for them to deliver it to your house.

After that happed to me the first few times I shiped to my UK adress. I started to have them shiped to my US Military adress on base in Lakenheath.

There is darn good supplyer in Ipswich that I buy my airsoft and Military gear from for my job in the US Air Force when I cant get the equipment I need from the US Goverment. The name of the shop is CombatUK I think but I am not sure becouse I have been out of the country for a while.

If you PM Leadmill he can dirrect you to a good UK supplyer.

Total Military/Action Cosplayer

"When I become Führer all female officers will be required to where tiny mini skirts!" Roy Mustang FMA
nadesico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
.:Mage.Lulu:.
The BLACK MAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceMark View Post
Hiya Lulu,

I am really surprised you can't find something suitable in the UK! :O

I have had friends purchase "Airsoft" weapons from the US before, and as Ghost says, as long as they clearly label it Toy or Gift then there shouldn't be problems.

Out of interest (and because I know a fair few places for toy guns etc) what kind of gun are you looking for?
Hey again Mark!

Thanks for replying to my thread - yeah, I thought about it after I posted and realised that it shouldn't be much of a problem if its just a toy. I wasn't really looking for one kind of gun, just something as similar to the design of the Halkonnen Cannon (If you remember the Demon Arm for Freaks for Digest at Midlands Expo in Feb, you'll know we go ALL out on massive props )
I did find a M-60 Machine Gun which was as close as I could find but couldn't find anywhere in the UK for just a TOY of it.
I'm price conscious with this prop this time, so I wasn't really looking for airsoft initially as I wanted to do a little modification too, although I will go for it if it means getting the job done accurately.

[Photo of said gun is attached]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadesico81 View Post
Most Air Soft guns can be bought in the UK. I picked up a bad ass M4-A1 air soft rifle for my FMP cosplay.

There is darn good supplyer in Ipswich that I buy my airsoft and Military gear from for my job in the US Air Force when I cant get the equipment I need from the US Goverment. The name of the shop is CombatUK I think but I am not sure becouse I have been out of the country for a while.

If you PM Leadmill he can dirrect you to a good UK supplyer.
Hey Nadesico ^_^ I think we met at Midlands as well..

Thanks for replying!
Haha I already gave Leadmill a PM 2 days ago, I know he's pretty well equipped with his weaponry and knows a fair deal about them.

You mentioned the air soft guns, what kind of price ranges do those go into? As I say, if it comes down to it, I wont be all that fussed about price as long as it's not that high (That probably sounds pretty cheap of me, but I'm a student, I believe its my job to be almost broke 80% of the time.)

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!

EDIT: If not the M-60 for this project, does anyone know of a gun that might be more fitting for the design?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M-60 Machine Gun.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)

No MaTTeR HoW DaRK THe NiGHT... MoRNiNG aLWaYS CoMeS ...
.:Mage.Lulu:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
PrinceMark

Hi Lulu,

I don't know about the ones Nadesico and Leadmill know, but the actual hobby Airsoft guns I use are pretty damn expensive. Though, those are meant to be used for the actual hobby so that's expected.

As for the UK, toyguns should be available somewhere at least.

However, the Canon you want is the *massive* rifle right?
Personally, I would recommend making the whole thing yourself :P

Sounds crazy, but some decent piping from a plumbers (or a skip seeing as your a student ;0 ) would be perfect for the barrel, then using maybe a cheap AK-47 from a joke shop for the handle, trigger etc, and then boxes/foam/plasticard for the rest.

That picture looks like a good base, but some modications would be needed.

http://www.manganimation.net/hellfre.../Halconnen.jpg
http://www.advfilms.co.uk/titles/hel...ns/sheet12.jpg

Thats the thing right?
To me, I don't think a toy gun would do it, I think thats a build from scratch jobby.

Some plumbers piping, some foam/plasticard, and things like Pringle tubes would be able to make that I reckon some.

Hope you manage to sort it out in time.
Sorry I can't be much more help

~Mark
PrinceMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
nadesico81
Cosplay Anime Otaku

There are low end A/S guns and the high end. Typicly the low end ones will be made in Hong Kong with the best ones coming from Japan. Tokyo Mauri makes by far they best and highest quality A/S and AEG's on the market. I have a cheap china knock off of a M-4A1 Rifle. Its very basic and feels dam cheap. The Tokyo Mauri guns are 100% replicas down to the feel of the gun. With the exception they fire BB's not bullets.

A decent A/S spring loaded hand gun can be had for less then 20 quid. I cosplay play with the cheap A/S guns in case the police freak out and take it. (That has happend to me before) Just rember when cosplaying with A/S guns use some dam common sence becouse the cops will normaly freak out if they see you carrying the A/S gun out in the open. Its best to have it out for pictures only.

*Yes we did meet at the Midlands Expo ( I have some pictures of you.)*

Total Military/Action Cosplayer

"When I become Führer all female officers will be required to where tiny mini skirts!" Roy Mustang FMA
nadesico81 is offline   Reply With Quote