Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 05-11-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Vastana

My Little Pony Costume Help

Hello! I am planning on attending AKon and I have less than a month to make my costume. o.O It's also my first costume. I'm thinking of going as a My Little Pony. I've seen another cosplayers version of a MLP on this site, but I want to do something a bit more realistic. I'm thinking of getting a full body spandex suit and adding some arm and leg warmer to get the MLP leg shape. My main problem are the ears. I cannot find any horse shaped ears and have no idea on how to go about making my own. Also, for the tail I'm going to buy a few of the really long pony tail extensions, but I'm curious as to how I can make it look right. Just cut a hole in the body suit with the tail hanging out? I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

-Vastana
Vastana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Well, I give you guts for doing that costume, especially at Akon. I can't offer you that much of advice but good luck! How original!
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

Make the ears out of Fun Foam. It's a very lightweight, versatile medium that you can form with a heat gun (or stove top - BE CAREFUL), glue fur to, and sew into the head of the body suit.

Not sure on the tail now, but maybe I'll come up with something later. Good luck in the meantime!
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Vastana

Thanks I was planning on just painting my face the color of the body suit instead of covereing my head and just attaching the ears with some string tied around my head. And no fur, I want to look more plasticy than furry.

Edit: Thought it'd help if I threw in a little picture I drew of what I want it to look like. http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2553/mlpix0.gif

Last edited by Vastana : 05-11-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
Nefla

You could do what fire lily said but use flock velvet over the foam instead of fur. It's a stiff fabric that's slightly fuzzy like some of the MLP were.
Nefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
Vastana

That's probably what I'll do, thanks guys. Any ideas on the tail though? I'm thinking I'll tie a bow around the base and then connect the ribbon to the body suit, so there won't just be a big hole. Eh?
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #7
Nekko
Future Companion

Tie the extensions with a big bow and sew it on...
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #8
Nefla

I would glue some tightly wrapped fabric around the base of the tail (where it will connect to the suit) but leave an inch of fabric free. Then cut a hole in the butt of the suit (I know you said you didn't want to, but it will be good I promise). Then stick the base of the tail into the suit and turn the suit inside out (with the tail inside) Now sew the fabric from the tail into the hole and turn right side out. Here, I have made a pic XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...aYuy/Blarg.jpg

Hope that helps!
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Vastana

Ah that's exactly what I was looking for, Nefla! Thanks for taking the time to make me pictures too.
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
Nefla

No problem! Pictures always help me. (otherwise I get confused easily lol)