Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 12-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #196
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Meh, we're not Broadway stars or anything..haha. Luckily for us it's more "talk-singing" than actual singing.(does that make sense? I'm not sure how else to describe it.) But it's really mostly dialog and the real singing is everyone singing at once. There is only really one actual singing part with difficult notes in it and one of our girls is a suberb singer. ^_^
We always pre-record so getting other people to do any voicework isn't a problem either.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #197
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Heheh, when we do skits with my group... well, we have exactly one male, and our really good singer has a rather high voice... but she's the tallest among us. The second-tallest also has a high voice. They usually cosplay males. And I can sing tenor, but I'm really short. So most of our skits involve people recording other people's lines. The one we're doing at ACen, I asked my brother if he'd help with the recording, since we can't have our one male do ALL the voices.

And the current crack skit idea involves me trying to sing in an obnoxious high-pitched fangirly voice. It's going to break my voice, I just know it. -_- Mith can sing high-pitched if I can't do it, but she sings WELL, and the character in question probably shouldn't have a pretty voice. XD
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #198
Beatrix Lolita
Half of a Narumitsu

I have a question, believe humour this ickle nooblet, but would yaoi, insinuated (i.e: No kissing just lots of subtle hints) between a man and woman (woman dressed as man) on an original but still linked situation be classed as overdone?

Miles Edgeworth (Phoenix Wright)(Dude in my avatar ): (15%)(God Bless Ebay!)
Beatrix Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #199
whisp
Itchy wig

yaoi kingdom hearts and naruto skits aaawwwwso overdone
The clearest mirrors by which to see one's self are the eyes of others. Without other human beings around, my world is black and hollow. Lonliness is my enemy, and I will do all I can to keep it away.

Cosplays for 08

Gin Ichimaru-Bleach
Mikura "Kazu" Kazuma-Air gear
Kaoru Kaido-Prince of tennis
whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #200
YuusukeLoveless
オヤシ&

A skit that Well I would'nt say is overdone is gundam seed/night of the roxberys dance it is so funny i've only seen it done a few times but I hope it doesn't become overdone to soon because seeing Kira and athrun bang they're heads is much to funny.
Unread 12-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #201
Majueen

Last Otakon I think there were about four skits parodying Charlie the Unicorn. If I see another one, it doesn't matter HOW well it's performed, I'm still gonna die a little inside. I think it's safe to say that if a video becomes super popular on youtube, you're not going to be the only one parodying it at the next convention. So just don't do it!

I think saying dance/musical skits are overdone is a little too general. I mean, there's a LOT of different types of dance/musical skits you can do, as everyone pretty much seems to agree with. Also, I think the quality of a dance skit depends highly upon the talent of the group. If a group just comes on stage, and does a really well choreographed and performed, I'll still enjoy it. But if it's badly performed, doesn't matter how original the concept is, the skit will still be bad. If you can't sing and dance, don't do a singing and dancing skit. I've seen so many groups go on stage and do some horrible little number. Or where one person can dance, and everyone else watches them and tries to dance along. Awful!

As for popular series, like Naruto and Final Fantasy, I think it's a little too much to say they shouldn't be done at all. But if you're doing a Naruto or Final Fantasy skit, realize that you need to do something really special, because you won't be the only skit of that series in the masquerade, and that the audience is going to automatically groan as soon as you step on stage. But a good skit is still a good skit. However, a mediocre Naruto skit will be way more annoying than a skit for a less done anime.

Of course, the existence of overdone skits provides a lot of room to make fun of overdone skits. I wish more people would do that though.

Also, a lot of people seem to be saying that skits not involving dance/musical/fanservice are hard to do. Yes, original ideas are hard. But it's better to risk doing something original and bombing than just doing what everyone else is doing.
Majueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #202
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix Lolita View Post
I have a question, believe humour this ickle nooblet, but would yaoi, insinuated (i.e: No kissing just lots of subtle hints) between a man and woman (woman dressed as man) on an original but still linked situation be classed as overdone?
The description is a bit vague, but in general, yes. Two guys, two girls dressed like guys, some mixture of the two-- if your entire skit is based around Same-Sex Sexual Tension! particularly if the SSST is not actually canon then it is going to need something VERY special to make it stand out.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #203
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majueen View Post
Last Otakon I think there were about four skits parodying Charlie the Unicorn. If I see another one, it doesn't matter HOW well it's performed, I'm still gonna die a little inside. I think it's safe to say that if a video becomes super popular on youtube, you're not going to be the only one parodying it at the next convention. So just don't do it!
OH GOD. I know what you mean; that whole masquerade was just insanely repetative. I saw maybe four or five skits that were good. (The Phoenix Wright/Death Note skit comes to mind) Out of how many?
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #204
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

There were some good skits at Otakon that I liked. I don't think that it was THAT bad. But I'd say that out of the whole masquerade, my favorite line was "IT'S NOT MY TURN YET, OK!!!" xD
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #205
Majueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
OH GOD. I know what you mean; that whole masquerade was just insanely repetative. I saw maybe four or five skits that were good. (The Phoenix Wright/Death Note skit comes to mind) Out of how many?
I know! And I was really excited to watch that masq too, because in 06 they had so many awesome skits!
Majueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #206
Fuel

Overdone skits, huh? Two words: Soulja. Boy.
Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 02:20 AM   #207
AlbinoPlant

i know the hare hare yukai has been mentioned, but at AnimeNEXT 07, 3 skits involved the hare hare yukai.. seriously. that is way too much.
AlbinoPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #208
DeWeird
Pocky-Addict *3*

naruto....naruto.....NARUTO!!!!!! >_______________<
i just don't wanna see them anymore Q____Q
because if you live in a litte country like austria, where there are 2 (!) cons a year and 3/4 of the cosplayers are from naruto it just gets reeeally annoying >_<

also songs like YMCA and macho man are reeeeally overused >-<
DeWeird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #209
Fashwiing
picks on blond bartenders

Death Note skits are getting pretty old, but I have yet to see someone come up with a skit where a random person from another fandom gets a Death Note and a Bleach Shinigami is its original owner. Mix it up like that, and people might like it.

But just dancing around isn't all that great. Neither are '300' spoofs, or SNL skits... Man, 'A Night at the Roxbury' was done not once, but TWICE at KumoriCon '07. But I suppose SNL wouldn't be too terribly bad, if only the people would search through the old seventies ones and find something GOOD to do.

I want to see Edward Elric be eaten by the Shark in the Closet.

Cons I plan on attending:
Newcon 2013
ALA 2014
Sakuracon 2014
Fanime 2014
Kumoricon 2014

Am I the only one who thinks just living is sad?
Fashwiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #210
kojirojames2004
Ho, ho, ho brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
"Overdone skits, huh? Two words: Soulja. Boy."
And you're tired to Superman that...uh, never mind.

I don't think I've ever seen a Soulja Boy skit at a con.