Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 07-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #316
jennarose
Yeah.

Just a quick question. Would a skit with a song (we will be singing it, recording our voices of coarse) and the words changed around to fit the characters we cosplay be overdone? My friend is a GENIUS and came up with the most awesome song skit EVER (Have to keep it on a down-low since it's going to be a surprise), but would that type of skit be too overdone? I think the idea is amazing and I think will get a lot of laughs since it makes sense.
jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #317
LilMaibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennarose View Post
Just a quick question. Would a skit with a song (we will be singing it, recording our voices of coarse) and the words changed around to fit the characters we cosplay be overdone? My friend is a GENIUS and came up with the most awesome song skit EVER (Have to keep it on a down-low since it's going to be a surprise), but would that type of skit be too overdone? I think the idea is amazing and I think will get a lot of laughs since it makes sense.
It seriously depends.
If it is a song that's not used too often and actually fits after teh changes it can be good.
IF you take it at least a bit serious.
Cause if you take a famous love-song or the like and turn it yaoi...the skit slips into the yaoi-drawer again and will get lost between all other yaoi-comedy/whatever skits.
For example:
Let's say someone uses the tune of -damnit, janet- from Rocky Horror and rewrites the lyrics to fit...let's say... Samantha carter and jack o'neill from Stargate SG:1 (yes, that be very,very weird to look at... ) Then it will be unique, especially if the text is well done.

But if someone takes the same song and rewrites it to fit onto...let's say sasuke and naruto...we're back at the old yaoi-groaners...
LilMaibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #318
jennarose
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMaibe View Post
It seriously depends.
If it is a song that's not used too often and actually fits after teh changes it can be good.
IF you take it at least a bit serious.
Cause if you take a famous love-song or the like and turn it yaoi...the skit slips into the yaoi-drawer again and will get lost between all other yaoi-comedy/whatever skits.
For example:
Let's say someone uses the tune of -damnit, janet- from Rocky Horror and rewrites the lyrics to fit...let's say... Samantha carter and jack o'neill from Stargate SG:1 (yes, that be very,very weird to look at... ) Then it will be unique, especially if the text is well done.

But if someone takes the same song and rewrites it to fit onto...let's say sasuke and naruto...we're back at the old yaoi-groaners...

Lawl...it won't be yaoi. There is one small part that will satifiy the yaoi fans for one second, but I quickly stand up and scream, "BOYS??!!!". The song I don't think is too overdone...at least I have never heard it at a con. It is from a musical and it will fit the characters we are doing. I was just wondering...since overdone skits = bad.
jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #319
Angelic Apex
People die, Yuna dances..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
Even if its entertaining, it doesn't mean that its not overdone. We are talking numbers here. Even if they are all great, if tons of people do it then its going to be overdone after it passes an arbitrary number.

And then, not all are entertaining, unless you are one of those super yaoi fangirls, for everyone else, its just nerve wrecking.
ahh ok.
I never said they were all entertaining. They are all entertaining to a point, which means that no matter what, someone will find something amusing.

Events
Summoner Yuna @ DISTANT WORLDS: Final Fantasy
Meyerhoff Symphony Hall 6.27.009

When the war of the beasts brings about the world's end
The goddess descends from the sky

Wings of light and dark spread afar
She guides us to bliss, her gift everlasting

Angelic Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #320
gabman6

Logically I would think Boo'ing would be a good way to motivate people but then alot of people wouldn't want to do skits and you'll end up with an hour and a half Masquerade (just like the disappointing AX 2008 *ahem)

I certainly think Boo'ing under any circumstances is rude and disrespectful, maybe the people in charge of skits should be the ones who moderate how many types of skits will make it through.

Just watching America's Got Talent made me sick to be an American if that represented our country because of amount of people getting boo'ed within 5 seconds of his/her act. So I don't think its fair to anyone to say "boo" to anyone. Sorry to get political.

I say if we attend masquerades we should be able to soldier through a really badly done skit even though we're the ones sitting in the audience not doing the skits ourselves.

EDIT: I would think a skit making fun of other skits and all the overly done cliches would be a good idea though
gabman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #321
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Gabman6, you may have just hit the nail on the head for all of us here! Making fun of the overkilled cliches and overdone stuff (Avenue Q songs, the Hare hare Yukai, etc.) would be perfect for someone to write a skit about!
Unread 08-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #322
gabman6

haha glad i could be of help!

i expect to see some at AX 2009 now...!
gabman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #323
Nightflame
conservationist

They use thriller, the hare hare yukai song,can't touch this, and still a lot of yaoi mostly Naruto skits and when they do fight scenes they always do final fantasy victory tune. Maybe I was wrong about the last one but when my group and I did our most recent animazement skit we thought since Reno was fighting dark we would use final fantasy battle music and then I noticed that at least three or four other skits that had battle scenes had the final fantasy victory tune at the end.
Nightflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #324
emilykawaii123

I gotta say, I have watched almost every Naruto/Inuyasha/ouran/(a few misc. too) skit on Youtube, and I gotta say one thing:

YES there are some things that are too old/dated to be worth anything at this stage, like the Numa Numa

BUT even if your series is highly used or you're dancing, IF you can make it really original, intelligent, and PULL IT OFF, the repitition won't matter.

As far as the dancing goes, I've seen some that were hilarious, even if a few people couldn't really dance. I saw one where a bunch of Naruto characters you the dance to "Thriller", the previously mentioned Riverdancing Sasuke (which, with some tweaking could have been hilarious instead of chuckle-inducing)

With Yaoi/Shonen-ai, if it's new and clever, I'll go for it. I may be a yaoi fan, but I'm not going to freak out from fanservice like others.....except at PATD concerts XD
emilykawaii123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #325
TwiSym

I don't know... I recently watched the OHSHC "Gay Bar" skit and I thought i was funny. It took a song that fit perfectly into OHSHC.
TwiSym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #326
Roleplaywulf
Cosplay is good eats

To be honest, staff who run the masquerade should start being a little more strict when it comes to accepting skits. They should review the skit is full proof. There is nothing more annoying more annoying that having a skit that was planned 2 days before the con, or having 3 of those "Yuki Haruhi" or whatever crap.

Wulf ||| DeviantART

«Next Convention» Ohayocon
«Finished»
Toon Wolf Link (retired)
«In Progress» Klonoa, Um Jammer Lammy, Josh (SH5)
«Planning/ On Hold» Toon Link, Lucas, Donald, Midna
Roleplaywulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #327
Nekomeishi

The song 'Best Friends' by Toybox.
At Florida Supercon two skits went on right after each other that both used that song. It was pretty annoying after the first few minutes. DX

Nekomeishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #328
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Wanna know the next big overdone thing in skits?

The Caramell Dansen. Remember, you heard it here first.
Unread 08-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #329
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
The Caramell Dansen. Remember, you heard it here first.
Are you kidding? That's been deathly stale for six months at the LEAST.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #330
--Ra--
Now in 4 new flavors!

*nod* Ever since March or April, if I'm not mistaken. *cries* That sort of raises a question though: what's next? What will be the next overdone trend? I mean...every year has had a surge of the new "overdone thing of the year". So what could be next?