Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 05-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #31
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Uh, guys, perhaps you shouldn't be linking to specific examples. I know bad skits are terrible, but it's in bad taste to make examples of specific skits.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-22-2007, 12:41 AM   #32
josshouse
BUNTA NOS

I agree with Danzik T_T

and....I also agree on anime dating skits. I've seen the concept proposed as an actual event with pseudo-improv, and THAT sounds like it would be great.

But If I see one more dating game *skit* in a cosplay contest, I'm going to stab myself.

Nostalg*a Cosplay
The Woodlands, TX

holy crap i havent updated this profile in a hundred years
josshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #33
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonYoukai View Post
THe skits that use those old boy band songs. >_< LIke Backstreet boys..
I've actually only seen... two of those, I think! The most recent one was very well executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of Wicked, but have seen music from it being used properly for a skit ONCE. Out of 544654654 people doing "Popular", only ONE skit I've ever seen has used it well, because they made it their own.
Oh lawd, I've seen a crapload of skits with that song, and I've seen enough "Anything You Can Do" skits to last me a lifetime.

I've said this in another thread about the same subject, but here I go again: solo Songstress Yuna musical skits involving "Real Emotion." They're all the SAME. Songstress Yuna cosplayer walks onstage, does the dance and lipsynchs to the song, end skit. I have a feeling that the Hare Hare Yukai skits are going to be like this, too - just taking the choreography right from the original video and lipsynching to the song, and that's the entire skit. Wut.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #34
Nuwanda
Shalafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru View Post

Anything with the subject being revolved around is shounen ai or other forms of cheap fanservice.

I don't think the problem lies in shounen ai itself. I've seen many good masquerade skits involving shounen ai. The problem is the fan service. If shounen ai makes sense and the skit is performed in a witty way and not just for the sake of blatant fan service, then I don't see the problem with boy love (or girl love, for that matter). But if all you're going to do is have two men come out on stage, prance about for a moment, and then start making out, just because you know it'll make the fangirls squeal, then that's just plain stupid.

If you want to make your favorite characters gay because you think you can do it in a way that is creative and genuinely amusing, by all means. Otherwise, its best to just leave it out.

My greatest sin has always been that I have a wonderful time being myself.
-Lestat
Nuwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #35
meepstio
jini;♥

Skits involving dance competitions stop ettt Dx
Upcoming cons: Otakon
Ashe (LOL), Sailor Mercury, Bulma/Chun-li
meepstio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #36
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
I don't think the problem lies in shounen ai itself. I've seen many good masquerade skits involving shounen ai. The problem is the fan service. If shounen ai makes sense and the skit is performed in a witty way and not just for the sake of blatant fan service, then I don't see the problem with boy love (or girl love, for that matter). But if all you're going to do is have two men come out on stage, prance about for a moment, and then start making out, just because you know it'll make the fangirls squeal, then that's just plain stupid.

If you want to make your favorite characters gay because you think you can do it in a way that is creative and genuinely amusing, by all means. Otherwise, its best to just leave it out.
Note I didn't say involve, I said revolve. As in the entire point of the skit is cheap-ass fanservice. This doesn't just mean Shounen Ai either, it means any skit that has no substance outside of getting whoops out of the fangirls/fanboys.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #37
Nuwanda
Shalafi

Exactly the point of my last post.

My greatest sin has always been that I have a wonderful time being myself.
-Lestat
Nuwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #38
bubydub
has lots of MENERGY

Oh noes, my group's skit for Fanime has both Backstreet Boys AND a dance contest. D: I agree though, that Avenue Q is severely overdone.
Anime Expo
Upcoming cosplays-
Saber (Lily, Fate Unlimited Codes)
Simon (pretimeskip, Gurren Lagann)
Xing Ke (Code Geass)
http://bubydub.deviantart.com
bubydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #39
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

I'm sick of crossplaying girls who think kissing on stage makes a good skit.

A criss-crossplay kiss on stage does not a skit make.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #40
BakaSamu

Although I don't have much experience with skits and masqueurades and such, I have seen videos on youtube and I've seen a few skits in person.
What I found annoying were the dance-offs and the skits that made no sense at all.
On youtube i've found a few dance-off skits that were...meh. They're not that great. Sure, we can see how well (or not well) you can dance, but we can also how uncreative you are in actually coming up with something worth watching.
And the ones that makes no sense are usually inside jokes that make no sense to anyone, but the people in the group. Also they show how little planning there may have been. Heck, for all we know...those skits could have been made in less than an hour.
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #41
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Random skits are really hit or miss. They can either be really funny or really stupid depending on the audience and the mood they're in.

I saw a skit once where a Sasuke had a river dance-off with an Itachi. It was funny... Sort of... But it didn't really make any sense. Cute is about the best way to describe it, but by no means award winning, and after a couple skits like that, I'd be done. Srsly.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:48 AM   #42
Gaara-Sephiroth
Riku's Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiyanSerenityV View Post
I'm a Zelda fan, so I've seen waaay too many skits with that one song people say was by SOAD (you know, "LINK, he come to town! He come to SAVE the princess Zelda!).

I can't remember who it was really by, or what the title of it is, but I've seen it enough times to make poor Link shoot himself. D:

@Twilight: I didn't know people still did Mentos parodies. How sad. D:
I like that song and I have it, the one I got said it was by SOAD, they're not the ones who did it?

Poor Link! Wait....how would he shoot himself? He has no gun.....well, maybe an arrow. Lol

Sorry, off topic.

Anyway, I haven't been to anything yet so I don't really know any overdone things.....

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LinkTheHeroOfTime

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/RikusGirlfriend

Feel free to add/watch/follow me, especially if we met at a cosplay event. :-)

Last edited by Gaara-Sephiroth : 05-31-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Gaara-Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:52 AM   #43
Gaara-Sephiroth
Riku's Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post
Random skits are really hit or miss. They can either be really funny or really stupid depending on the audience and the mood they're in.

I saw a skit once where a Sasuke had a river dance-off with an Itachi. It was funny... Sort of... But it didn't really make any sense. Cute is about the best way to describe it, but by no means award winning, and after a couple skits like that, I'd be done. Srsly.
Well....it does sound kinda amusing, though! Lol

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LinkTheHeroOfTime

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/RikusGirlfriend

Feel free to add/watch/follow me, especially if we met at a cosplay event. :-)
Gaara-Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #44
Operator
Smooth Operator.

I'd say random dance-offs.
"Omg, Soraa, i can dance better than you's."
"No wai, Riku!"
and commence the dance-off.
If it has a joke, or some witty comment the whole audience can enjoy, and not just the fandom, then I think it'll be okay. :3
[/color][/size]
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #45
Amerikaijin
Got tape?

Edward Elrics running on stage and having a hissy fit about being short and running off.
Amerikaijin is offline   Reply With Quote