Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #436
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
I understand that for a group skit, but what about a walk-on? I have one planned out, and since I'm doing it on my own, I didn't want to just walk around for a bit and leave...
There's really nothing wrong with walking around for a bit to show off your costume. If you have some dramatic music with some dramatic movements and poses, that's perfect for a walk-on. If you're the only one on stage, and all you're doing is lip syncing to a song, you're going to bore your audience after about 15 seconds. Going beyond that amount of time is excessive for just a walk-on. Besides, wouldn't you rather the focus be on your costume than on lip syncing/acting?
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #437
Blanko
There is no War

I feel bad about the lipsyncing because my group did a boyband like skit where there was no.. acting involved. It was a very vague senario where we all danced to a popular Nsync song..

However it didn't seem cliche to me or anyone else that I've showed this video too- What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-6Z...=related&pos=0

My strong opinion is that the haruhi and lucky star dancing stuff (sorry I really don't know the exact name) is just...arg. I'm usually really respectful to any person that goes up on stage and show the audience what they can do- but those kinds of skits are just my biggest pet peeve and gets me hanging my head and wanting to bang it against something...

I'm sure this has been mentioned every other post btw. Sorry about that but I really wish people would stop with that. It really ruins a show for me..

EDIT: Oh and my opinion on Walk-ons;

I understand what they're for and why people do them and I have full respect for it- they don't bother me that much. The only thing is that it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the masquerade.. if anything.

My only complaint is that I see one or more GORGEOUS cosplayers walk on stage and you expect a butt-kicking show but they walk off before they have time to do anything but pose.
Blanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #438
Lorien

@ Blanko: I wouldn't say that was overdone at all It was a pretty awesome dance routine, it's clear you guys practiced, and it showed off an original take on Sora's form that I found really amusing. You did really well with this; My only complaint is it was maybe a bit long, but it was fun and energizing :3

As for your walkon statements, I agree :/ My convention recently introduced a hall masquerade which more or less replaced Walk-ons, and yet the girl who won Best in Show Advanced practically only did a walk on where she twirled a staff around. She had a nice costume but me and lots of other people think there were more deserving cosplayers and skits.

They do perform their function but I think a hall masq. is a better way of going about it. Either that or a 'cosplay fashion show' would be nice to see either at the beginning or end of the main masq, whichever.
I definitely know what you mean about the 'epic-costume... wait, where's the performance?' syndrome.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #439
Cosplay_Rose
Gold Rose Cosplay

I have a question about a skit that I'm planning. I don't want to give away too much because I haven't seen it done and I can't even find it on YouTube, so I don't want it snagged and performed at the hundreds of conventions before the one I'm hoping to perform at. D=
I've read through most of this thread and winced at a couple of things that made me worry about my skit, but nothing specifically aimed at it.

• It's lip-syncing to a song (that's not "one of the hare-para-caramell things" <- You win if you know where I got that from), and it's only two people, one for the main parts and one for backup.
• There's no dancing (at least not thus far). We can't dance to save our skins, which is why we only do it in dark techno raves where no one can laugh at us. As far as I can foresee, any potential dancing would be for the sake of showmanship / more noticeable movement (such as a spin or jump).
• The skit itself tells a mini-story that works within the song, but doesn't necessarily "follow" it (I hope that makes sense T_T).
• It's not fully choreographed, but so far, we've been trying for big movements and using the whole stage and such. We're really focused on showmanship and presence. Neither of us have taken professional lessons, but we do have some experience on stage and know how to put on a decent show (or at least one that's "not horrible" haha)
• There are a couple of jokes that are told through movement (again, BIG movement so they're easy to see). It is a little silly, but it's a planned silly, not a "We're running around like idiots hitting each-other with sticks" silly.
• The song is edited for time (un-edited it's a little longer than three minutes).

I'm really trying for something different with this (even though my description may make it seem like it's been done before =[) and it's mostly for audience entertainment, we're not really TRYING for an award, so I'd REALLY like feedback on the basics.

Program Director at Kin-Yoobi Con

Last edited by Cosplay_Rose : 06-27-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Additional info
Cosplay_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #440
LakuriSyaoran
Queen of Feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry187 View Post
These Days at the cons over here(Not sure what there like over seas) Kingdom Hearts or Axel X Roxas Yaoi -_-

PLZ Make it stop Mommy T_T
where!? i want more kingdom hearts skits

over done: one peice and bleach skits.
common people, to many, they confuse my soul and arn't funny. (at least what i've seen)

~*~
Cons for 2014:
AOD , Fanime, Anime Expo, SD Comicon?
New Cosplays:
Lightning - Midnight Mauve; Anna, From Frozen
Returning Cosplays:
-Serah Farron (XIII-2) Standard; Lightning - Default LR outfit, Tootiana - Rise of the Guardians
~*~
LakuriSyaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #441
meepstio
jini;♥

so adding popular anime references (aka pokemon, naruto, etc) to a skit is overdone? s:
Upcoming cons: Otakon
Ashe (LOL), Sailor Mercury, Bulma/Chun-li
meepstio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #442
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

As long as it's original and funny, then it would not be overkill.
Unread 10-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #443
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

Naruto x Kakashi yaoi >____>

and axel x Roxas yaoi....

If you're gonna do yaoi in a skit, I think you should make it rather unexpected, like....let roxas go in to kiss axel and then have axel turn and kiss rape marluxia or something ><
oh...and uhhhh.

I've seen 5 people use the opening of american idol for a skit D:
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #444
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braithcakes View Post
If you're gonna do yaoi in a skit, I think you should make it rather unexpected, like....let roxas go in to kiss axel and then have axel turn and kiss rape marluxia or something
No.

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #445
LilMaibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeHee View Post
No.
Well, it IS an excellent way to get banned form the con.
LilMaibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #446
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

And get charged with a laundry list of charges from the local constables as well...
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #447
Vasooki
Official Kira Hunter

Because I don't want to go in a read all 30 pages of the thread:
Would Ferrets/Llama's with hats be considered overdone? Trying to convice my friend that it's not the best idea. I mean, really? She wants C.C., Suzaku, and Lelouch in a Llama's with hats thing. Or a C.C. and Lelouch in a Ferrets type thing.

Please tell me its overdone! xDD
Vasooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #448
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

Please look at Post #442 for the answer to your question about ferrets and llamas.
Unread 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #449
chinna

are all of the harui dances considered over-done, like the ones from the wii game? do u think it'd be ok if the dance was paired correctly(if thats the right word) with speaking parts at the beginning and end.
chinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #450
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braithcakes View Post
Naruto x Kakashi yaoi >____>

and axel x Roxas yaoi....

If you're gonna do yaoi in a skit, I think you should make it rather unexpected, like....let roxas go in to kiss axel and then have axel turn and kiss rape marluxia or something ><
oh...and uhhhh.

I've seen 5 people use the opening of american idol for a skit D:
Uhhh, Yaoi is SO overdone

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote