Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #511
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

Whenever I have an idea an idea for a skit, the FIRST THING I do is scour youtube and cosplay sites to see if it has ever been done before. For example, I wanted to do a skit that involved rewriting the lyrics to the Fresh Prince of Belair rap, but it's been done...at least twice that I know of. Therefore I scrapped that song and came up with another one. I like to do skits that haven't been done, and I'm sure the audience appreciates that better as well. I for one, if I see another 'Grease' parody skit (or anything involving the caramelldansen), am going to shoot myself in the head. XD

I also try not to do skits from series if I already know there will be more than one skit at the con with the same series.

You just need to do your research before you do a skit to make sure it's original. ^_^

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #512
kojirojames2004
Happy Heinz-O-Ween!

AMEN SISTER! TESTIFY!

I agree. If anything needs to be original, just scan the YouTubes.
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #513
Yami/Kaiba
water mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirojames2004 View Post
Every yoai/shonen-ai!
Actually those are fine if they are held at a convention like Yaoi Con. That stuff is encouraged and allowed except no nudity. What is over done to me is groups using the most popular song like a fad and everyone keeps doing the same thing like Lady Gaga with Pokerface and it doesn't apply to the character at all. If one is to do a skit, make it believeable to the character espcially a serious character unless the character goes out of character for a short period of time because he/she gets hurt and the mind get screwed up or the mind is under control. Those would be the only exceptions.
Demyx
High Priest Seto
Sesshomaru
Seto Kaiba

Currently in process:
Grimmjow (Release Mode) Bleach
Legolas (Hobbit)
Yami/Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #514
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_jean View Post
The Vololoid skits are what get me. It's just.... there's no REAL PLOT. No REAL series. It's all just AMVs and fan creations. The AMVs are cool, but really, the "character personalities" are not canon because they do not really exist. I don't mind walk ons or people dressing like them, because that's all they are, and IMAGE.
It's fine to use the Vocaloid songs if you're showing off a Vocaloid costume. Actually, if you can't think of anything else, it's the best thing, BUT don't ever use the whole song. Cut it down. People keep doing that. Never use the entire song EVER if it's over two minutes. I've seen this done ONCE successfully at AI last year where a skit that had already won awards at another con entered with an exhibition. It was "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray done with Orgy XIII. The reason it worked was that everyone 1.) knew the dance VERY well, 2.) did interesting things throughout the song instead of just the movements, and 3.) came on one by one until they had every member of the Org. This was a great example of why you should BUILD your skit by starting out with a little bang and then gradually making bigger and bigger bangs.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #515
mouseomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoko-chan View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jmZvr8TSREY&feature=related
That one shows how unprepared people can be, I think if your going to do a skit and your unprepared, you should atleast have a good idea what your going to do. I once did a skit completly unprepared so the judges could judge(final judgeing) at a cosplay contest(chibi pa), and it was pretty good, not great but good. I was SNJ Naruto, I got a Inu Yasha group and we fought over ramen. I did the best with what I had, my ramen dissapred at the end of the skit, I miss my ramen T.T.
I can't say I see what's wrong with their actual skit. I mean, there's the technical failure at the beginning, but the actual thing is rather amusing.
Unread 11-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #516
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

You know, any characters doing the "Single Ladies" dance would sound absolutely atrocious on paper...but if the cosplayers could really, and I mean REALLY dance, I think it would be pretty epic. XD That dance is HARD, take it from someone who's been taking dance classes her whole life and still can't get it right. ^^;
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #517
-Colonel Alqui-
Baroness of Mustaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidRizu View Post
You know, any characters doing the "Single Ladies" dance would sound absolutely atrocious on paper...but if the cosplayers could really, and I mean REALLY dance, I think it would be pretty epic. XD That dance is HARD, take it from someone who's been taking dance classes her whole life and still can't get it right. ^^;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCrDyd_SayQ
^I saw these guys at AX this year doing 'Single Ladies', and I think they did a pretty good job with it, they were just a bit scared. xD I was in the front row for this Masquerade, yay!
-Colonel Alqui- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #518
wonderland93
N00B otaku extraordinaire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzSpRbw2yM
If we're talking about dance skits, Cupcake Cosplay owns everyone. Just saying.

Anyway, I've been thinking of starting a group that dances and lip-syncs to Glee music (NOT JOURNEY. way overdone), as if it were a glee performance. Por example...

FFXIII to "It's My Life/Confessions"
Death Note to "Another One Bites The Dust"
One Piece to "Gold Digger"

thoughts?
wonderland93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #519
XxArisaHImexX

you know what kind of skit pisses me off the most... the ones where a person with an average cosplay (or a bunch of people with overly used cosplays like sailor moon, or lolita, or ciel), goes up stage, then stands in the formation then starts doing this shitty routine that they call a dance.... i mean really... if you are not as good as xxxayu3, STOP DANCING!!!! (or what i like to call swaying in all directions randomly to music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKaNs-7gFC8 (<--- a vid of xxxayu3 dancing to luk luka night fever....)
XxArisaHImexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #520
LilMaibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland93 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzSpRbw2yM
If we're talking about dance skits, Cupcake Cosplay owns everyone. Just saying.

Anyway, I've been thinking of starting a group that dances and lip-syncs to Glee music (NOT JOURNEY. way overdone), as if it were a glee performance. Por example...

FFXIII to "It's My Life/Confessions"
Death Note to "Another One Bites The Dust"
One Piece to "Gold Digger"

thoughts?
I'm not really certain if you are in the right thread
LilMaibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #521
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illa Scriptor View Post
@ mokulen22- Seriously? It didn't die two years ago?
If it did, it's became a zombie and moved to Ontario Canada.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #522
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxArisaHImexX View Post
you know what kind of skit pisses me off the most... the ones where a person with an average cosplay (or a bunch of people with overly used cosplays like sailor moon, or lolita, or ciel), goes up stage, then stands in the formation then starts doing this shitty routine that they call a dance.... i mean really... if you are not as good as xxxayu3, STOP DANCING!!!! (or what i like to call swaying in all directions randomly to music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKaNs-7gFC8 (<--- a vid of xxxayu3 dancing to luk luka night fever....)
As a girl who isn't good at dancing (no co-ordination at all and I have a terrible memory so remembering moves isn't easy) but enjoys dancing anyway, that was rude.

xxxayu3 is a VERY high standard to hold people at. To say that people should stop dancing if they're not as good as xxxayu3 is very rude.

So what if they aren't that good?
They won't improve unless they keep dancing and practice.

Also: Lolita=/=Cosplay.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 01-27-2011 at 03:06 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #523
PalmTopDragon
ハロー

The Hare Hare Yukai dance is most likely the most overdone one... it looks cool when making fan videos but it's really hard for it to stand out anymore...

Anything involving over 2 minutes of song gets tiring... I agree with a former post, cut it down to Less than 2!!!

If it's too long most spectators will loose interest, just saying!
PalmTopDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #524
Hyper-Pegasus

Originally, I thought that this was a pretty original idea - but as with anything, after the excitement and hype lessens, I'm beginning to have my worries.

My friends and I are doing a condensed, slightly altered version of Lone Sausage Production's, "Toy Cack" animation. I did a quick search on Youtube, and a light overlook on overdone skits in this forums (of course, I may have missed any references to it) and did not see anything. But I am still a bit worried. We are currently working on the skit, and it is starting to go in a slightly different direction...

Anyway, it was one of those things that sounds like a really fun idea, but I'm starting to worry it may be overdone, that if we're not careful it could get too "intense" for the recommendation for skits, and of course if doing this would be some kind of copyright infringement or something.

At the moment, we're waiting for the con we are potentially doing this skit for to announce the max length of each skit... so how I figure, before we get too into the script and practice, it might be best to ask around if this is an idea probably left alone or not. What are your thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? I'll take anything useful I can get.
Sunday: Anthea (Pokemon BW)

Shadocon 2013
Friday: ???
Saturday: Nirvana
Sunday: ???

Last edited by Hyper-Pegasus : 02-03-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: error in message
Hyper-Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #525
AoiTaku
Lil azn nerd

lol i was gonna use the first part of the hare hare yukai with the beat part then remix to some other anime dance, and continue. has that been way over done yet?
AoiTaku is offline   Reply With Quote