Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #601
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Yaoi skits, what if, anything Avenue Q and...geez, really anything that involves them going over the top and dancing at the end.
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #602
kojirojames2004
Ho, ho, ho brother...

Wasn't this the point of this thread anywho?
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #603
xXKylerXx

Why does everyone bash the Naruto skits? If they are put together well, they are actually enjoyable. Plus, the audience can relate to some of the jokes better because they know the series. It's better to have jokes from a mainstream anime than jokes from an anime that no one has ever heard of.
xXKylerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #604
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXKylerXx View Post
Why does everyone bash the Naruto skits? If they are put together well, they are actually enjoyable. Plus, the audience can relate to some of the jokes better because they know the series. It's better to have jokes from a mainstream anime than jokes from an anime that no one has ever heard of.
If it's put together well and is creative then I agree. I seen some well done Naruto Skits before but I also seen some skits where Naruto and Sasuke fake makeout for three minutes straight. I feel like the whole fake makeout skit is overdone in general not just yaoi. o.o

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #605
talkenia
Random person #3

I ain't sure if it is overdone or just something that shouldn't be done in skits.
last con I went to there was this girl who did a pokemon skit that was rather messy and no-one could really follow it. At the end she started dancing and tried to make the public dance along. As in a this dance is easy its like so-and-so now dance along! kind of way. Truth to say, audience participation was rather small. It was rather sad to see.

Currently in progress
-lady -DMC 3
-Alphonse Elric's full armour -FMA
talkenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #606
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Definition of Skit from Merriam-Webster
1) a brief burlesque or comic sketch included in a dramatic performance (as a revue) (2) : a short serious dramatic piece; especially : one done by amateurs

That being said if you referred to everything in as Masquerade than all solely "dance skits" are technically not skits at all and therefore don't meet the requirement where as everything else. Really a Masquerade is filled with skits, choreographed dances (original or not), and anything else the participants have come up with.

Personally I think some dance pieces are good, but they get old fast when 20 of the 30 entries are all dance pieces, but they lack substance in some cases. Yeah you learned a dance while watching youtube, but you didn't edit your audio, you didn't write a script, you just sat and watched someone else until you memorized it and then pranced your butt out on stage. Not to say for those who actually choreographed their own dances aren't any good those are the ones that are, but they unfortunately make up the minority of dance pieces in masquerades and because of that sometimes get over looked. I've seen some great dances and some down right horrible ones.

Fake-out make-out skits lack substance as well unless there is an actual backstory that built up to the fake-out make-out first. Just making out for the sake of getting fangirls to screams is just blah. I've done a fake yaoi kiss on stage, but there was an actual story leading up to it.

Frankly I consider any lack luster poorly crafted "skit" to be overdone. People need to use their creative juices flowing and create something people will be thrilled, excited, amazed, on edge, and intrigued by that is a successful skit regardless of series, genre, or style it is from or preformed by.

Thank you for hearing my rant on this subject.

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

Open for Commissions!!
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #607
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ends Beginning View Post
Definition of Skit from Merriam-Webster
1) a brief burlesque or comic sketch included in a dramatic performance (as a revue) (2) : a short serious dramatic piece; especially : one done by amateurs

That being said if you referred to everything in as Masquerade than all solely "dance skits" are technically not skits at all and therefore don't meet the requirement where as everything else. Really a Masquerade is filled with skits, choreographed dances (original or not), and anything else the participants have come up with.

Personally I think some dance pieces are good, but they get old fast when 20 of the 30 entries are all dance pieces, but they lack substance in some cases. Yeah you learned a dance while watching youtube, but you didn't edit your audio, you didn't write a script, you just sat and watched someone else until you memorized it and then pranced your butt out on stage. Not to say for those who actually choreographed their own dances aren't any good those are the ones that are, but they unfortunately make up the minority of dance pieces in masquerades and because of that sometimes get over looked. I've seen some great dances and some down right horrible ones.

Fake-out make-out skits lack substance as well unless there is an actual backstory that built up to the fake-out make-out first. Just making out for the sake of getting fangirls to screams is just blah. I've done a fake yaoi kiss on stage, but there was an actual story leading up to it.

Frankly I consider any lack luster poorly crafted "skit" to be overdone. People need to use their creative juices flowing and create something people will be thrilled, excited, amazed, on edge, and intrigued by that is a successful skit regardless of series, genre, or style it is from or preformed by.

Thank you for hearing my rant on this subject.
I think this is a very well done post. I never got the dance skits myself, unless it has to do with a character who's known for dancing or a show that has dance numbers in it. Granted, there are some great dance skits out there, but most of them I've seen have little to do with the show/media that's being cosplayed/represented.

As for the fake out/make out skits, I never really was a fan of them regardless of how well done they are. Maybe it stems from me not being into yaoi in the first place or the whole concept of shipping as a whole, but the lot of these make me gag. I mean I appreciate the work that goes into the good ones, but they leave me with an uneasy feeling.

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that a good skit is original and doesn't rely on overdone memes or fandom in-jokes too much. I don't mind them appearing a few times, but I'm talking about skits that have every joke revolve around a worn out meme or obscure in-joke. If it's a well known show/game (Like Wreck-it Ralph, TF2, MLP, Naruto, Pokemon, etc) that's fine, most of the jokes will be known, but take it into consideration if it's something more obscure.

Again, great post!
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Mr. Van Driessen (Beavis and Butthead)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)
Mike Schmidt (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Beach Bear (Rockafire Explosion)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #608
iKate
Soul Meister

I have a question.
So I am new to the hole "Skit" Idea and I just need to know if "Anything you can do, I can do better" from Annie Get Your Gun Is an overly used skit ides, even If I rewrote the words to fit the characters.
AWA (Maybe...)

Cosplays I'm Planning
Tamaki Suoh (100%)
Edward Elric (45%)
Grell Sutcliff (10%)
Franken Stein (0%)
iKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #609
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKate View Post
I have a question.
So I am new to the hole "Skit" Idea and I just need to know if "Anything you can do, I can do better" from Annie Get Your Gun Is an overly used skit ides, even If I rewrote the words to fit the characters.
I haven't seen that done before, but then again I'm not a skit guy (The overdone ones killed it for me). If you rewrote the lyrics, I suppose it'd be a good idea.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Mr. Van Driessen (Beavis and Butthead)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)
Mike Schmidt (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Beach Bear (Rockafire Explosion)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #610
kojirojames2004
Ho, ho, ho brother...

Agreed.
Unread 07-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #611
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKate View Post
I have a question.
I've seen it used in a lot of older AMV's, but never seen a skit of it. So I don't think it'd be too bad. If you do a clever job of rewriting the lyrics, that'll put a nice fresh twist on it.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses