Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Member Events and Gatherings > Northeast Cosplayer Picnic

Unread 05-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

NECP SPINOFF: Fall FMA gathering...

So, I figured this needed its own thread since we've been jacking the "memories" thread with posts regarding this thing.

Starwind824 made the suggestion of having another potential gathering in the fall of this year, after the tons o fun we had doing our little mini-FMA shoot at the last NECP.

So, if anyone is interested, post away.

EDIT 6/12/07: This event is invite only. Please send a PM to c.com user AnimatedPoison if interested.

Also, feel free to wear any costume you want. While we ARE planning to have a HUGE FMA photoshoot, we won't spit on you if you come in another costume.

EDIT 6/15/07: List of peoples' planned costumes so far--

AnimatedPoison as Ed
AnimatedPoison's boys as chibi-Ed and Al
Starwind824 as Roy Mustang
LadyHawke78 as Riza Hawkeye
NeoAngelWink as Trisha Elric
Xais as Jean Havoc
AllThatsGeek as Heymans Breda (or King Bradley... whatever we can convince him to do...)
Pure Sorcery as Scheizka
ATG's buddy as Kain Furey
CCAmanda as Rose
Sam Vimes as Mr. Rockbell
Penny Dreadful as Mrs. Rockbell

(Whut no Winry? WTF?!?)

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."

Last edited by LadyHawke78 : 09-18-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: edited char. list
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

I'm thinking that the final weekend (29th/30th) is our best bet. Since the 15/16th is B-day weekend for NaW/AP. And that we need to get a hold of David Ing for photofun.

Also, if you're planning to cosplay (in the event that this does turn into a photoshoot/picnic), do I need to point out that this is a FMA ONLY cosplay event? Figured I throw that out there now.

Also, a character list
Edward Elric :Animated Posion
Roy Mustang: Starwind824
Riza Hawkeye: LadyHawke78

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
AnimatedPoison

Carrie's/my bday is the 18th.

I never plan that far ahead for things so I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything. When birthdays fall in the middle of the week, we either do something the weekend before or weekend after.

Other type of character list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullmetal_Alchemist

Can also spoil the entire plot for yourself there. But I'm pretty sure all the characters linked to other wikipedia pages have a photo. Otherwise lrn2google.

Last edited by AnimatedPoison : 05-16-2007 at 01:20 PM.
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
allthatsgeek
MINE.

::sigh:: guess I will have to get a FMA costume too now.

I'll make Ryan (my friend in the DARE shirt) do something too.
AnimatedPoison: One for each weeaboo who has died at his hands.
Yeah, that's how I roll
allthatsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatsgeek View Post
::sigh:: guess I will have to get a FMA costume too now.
Yes.
Yes you do.

(unless you just want to come for the beer...)

Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
allthatsgeek
MINE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
Yes.
Yes you do.

(unless you just want to come for the beer...)
I'll try to whip something up, I'd totally do Heymans if someone finds me a good wig. And somewhere that can make State Military Uniforms in "DAAYYYUM" sizes.
Yeah, that's how I roll
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
I'll try to whip something up, I'd totally do Heymans if someone finds me a good wig. And somewhere that can make State Military Uniforms in "DAAYYYUM" sizes.
I've seen people TONS larger than you wearing those costumes... check some of the sellers on EBay if you don't want to commission...

I can totally work on the wig thing for you. Let me do a little research. I've never worked with men's wigs before... but I can probably figure something out.

Green Room Staff

Unread 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
AnimatedPoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
I've seen people TONS larger than you wearing those costumes... check some of the sellers on EBay if you don't want to commission...

I can totally work on the wig thing for you. Let me do a little research. I've never worked with men's wigs before... but I can probably figure something out.
Yep, state alchemist uniforms in all sizes are all over Ebay.

That's gonna be an interesting wig to pull off, since the hair is really short (buzzed?) at the sides. You could probably get away with cutting/styling a short wig so that you can, with hairspray or pomade + blowdryer on low heat,:

*comb back/adhere the hair along the sides
*trim and spike up the hair on the top.

Not the easiest hairstyle to simulate with a wig but I think it could be done. Definitely something to be done with ATG's actual head around though, because the hair along the sides would need to be so close. Wig heads are smaller than human heads, and thus, no help sometimes. :\
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
allthatsgeek
MINE.

wait...what about my head?

I'm all self conscious and crap now
Yeah, that's how I roll
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

...Or you could let me try my hand at the wig, since I have
a) experience doing short men's wigs and
b) a handy guy with a large head to work off of.

I think you could either, like AP said, cut the sides down long enough that the mesh doesn't show through and style it from there, or finagle something involving a bald cap/wig surgery.

And JEEBUS, people, why are you doing this to me? You KNOW I always wanted to do a Psiren costume...

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

while this is a great idea, dont you think making it a FMA ONLY a bit to NAZI-ish by saying you can come either not in costume or an FMA cosplay. Thats only really a good idea for FMA cosplayers and alcohol drinkers, which im not either of them. So i dont start any unpleasentness, can we make it just another NECP? or something like a more general theme like military or something?

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
DUDE, you should get your friend to come as Kain Fuery. Or Hughes. I'M A GENIUS!

(Also we MAY have a Havoc if Xais comes through.)

Also PD+Psiren=AWESOME. I was gonna suggest you and NaW comes as Lust as Sloth, but hey, more power to ya (Joecobo as Armstrong? LOLZ)

And, no I don't think we being Naziesque. We're arranging a series specific photoshoot, not sending a race of ppl's to there death. We could be total asshats and just say it's for FMA cosplayer only, but we're not. Like the title says, it's a spin-off, not the standard ^__^.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 05-16-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay Sniper View Post
while this is a great idea, dont you think making it a FMA ONLY a bit to NAZI-ish by saying you can come either not in costume or an FMA cosplay. Thats only really a good idea for FMA cosplayers and alcohol drinkers, which im not either of them. So i dont start any unpleasentness, can we make it just another NECP? or something like a more general theme like military or something?
We don't bite... I'm sure no one would care if you came in a different costume (fun for all...) or didn't parake in alcohol consumption (more beer for us!)

It's really just another reason to hang out since we all had so much fun at the original NECP.

Re: WIG. My original thought was bald cap + wig surgery, however I wasn't sure if any wigs styled similar to that existed. (Yeah. Rough style to pull off with a wig...)

HOLSH!T. We should try and assemble an entire army! ATG's friend would make an awesome Furey, IMO.
LOL-- finding an Armstrong would be the tough part.

Psiren = WIN. I've never seen anyone do that costume before.

Green Room Staff

Unread 05-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
DUDE, you should get your friend to come as Kain Fuery. Or Hughes. I'M A GENIUS!

(Also we MAY have a Havoc if Xais comes through.)

Also PD+Psiren=AWESOME. I was gonna suggest you and NaW comes as Lust as Sloth, but hey, more power to ya (Joecobo as Armstrong? LOLZ)

And, no I don't think we being Naziesque. We're arranging a series specific photoshoot, not sending a race of ppl's to there death. We could be total asshats and just say it's for FMA cosplayer only, but we're not. Like the title says, it's a spin-off, not the standard ^__^.
Well, Lust or Sloth would be a lot easier for me than Psiren, but I did say no more big costumes. And Joe secretly wants to cosplay Armstrong, complete with sparkles, but no way in hell I'm whipping up that uniform by the fall. I guess he could always eBay it...

Wow, this didn't go on for very long before Godwin's Law was invoked. Like SW824 said, there's a big difference between a series-specific photoshoot and genocidal totalitarians.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Well, Lust or Sloth would be a lot easier for me than Psiren, but I did say no more big costumes. And Joe secretly wants to cosplay Armstrong, complete with sparkles, but no way in hell I'm whipping up that uniform by the fall. I guess he could always eBay it...

Wow, this didn't go on for very long before Godwin's Law was invoked. Like SW824 said, there's a big difference between a series-specific photoshoot and genocidal totalitarians.

--Penny
Fun fact- I THINK Carrie was toying around the idea of cosplaying Maria Ross, but it ultimately came down to either one of the females HOMs, or Mommy Elric. AP, if she does the latter, she may need to borrow your kids,lol.

And regarding military uniforms, if you don't trust Ebay, CCJae aka BlueCosplayAngel, did/is redoing my military uniform, and is good at what she does.

And like LH said, we techically cant stop ppl from cosplaying in other costumes, but this shoot is going to be FMA specific no matter what.