Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Unread 05-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Lady Tygry
Art Monkey

Cool Disney fur costume --help!

Since Disney won't let greeters keep their costumes, I guess I'll have to make my own. Would like to recreate Gideon here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJwIQYelSM

I can handle learning from tutorials on fursuits but most of them are geared towards something a bit fancier-- moving mouths, etc. Anyone here have experience and want to offer some useful tips? I would have just commissioned it but most of the prices are way out of my range. I pulled off the Lloyd Webber Rumpleteazer and have no doubt I can do this one as well. Just looking for some thoughts, encouragement, etc.
I'm especially interested on the construction of the head and what to use as a base for the torso and legs since I won't need a full fursuit.

KD
Lady Tygry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Here's a thread from "Other Costumes" on fursuits...

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=111545

I believe you may also PM user Kaijugal for advice, as per her notification in that thread...

Good luck.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
PacificPikachu
Cuddly Electric Rodent

I've done a couple of mascot costumes, though I only got into making ones with actual heads and such last year. You'd be surprised what you can make with just some general craft supplies and creativity--I had no experience at all last year when I started my Akamaru, and I think it turned out pretty good.

Last year, I used the following things:

- Celluclay
- A plastic face mask
- A small amount of metal mesh
- A styrofoam cone
- Finishing glaze
- Fake fur

I started by cutting off the bottom half of the plastic face mask and adding the metal mesh to the bottom of the mask, sculpting it to fit my face. I then covered the mesh with a scrap of an old shirt so the ends of the mesh didn't poke me. I used a hot glue gun to affix the shirt piece to the mesh and the mesh piece to the mask.

I then cut the styrofoam cone so it fit against the nose/mouth area of the mask. I hot glue gunned it there, and then went over the cone and mask with Celluclay until I was satisfied with the shape of the nose and mask. I went over that with the finishing glaze, and added fur from there.

Or you could use Wonderflex, which I just began using this year on my in-progress costume. This was a great experience, and I highly recommend it. The stuff is very durable and easy to work with. It's a little more expensive than the other option, though, so be warned. And be sure if you're going to use Wonderflex to sculpt a head, invest in a styrofoam head to use as your base.

If you have any more questions or want more in-depth descriptions of how to make it, feel free to PM me! I wish you the best of luck!
PacificPikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Lady Tygry
Art Monkey

Thanks so much guys! I'll be starting on it in the next couple weeks-- I'll keep the links handy for now

KD
Lady Tygry is offline   Reply With Quote