Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.59 average.
Unread 05-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Ekatorie
Mass-murdering Weasel

Exclamation Akatsuki Cosplayers Help Desk

It occurred to me that lots of people need help for cosplaying as the Akatsuki from Naruto. So here is a bit of a "How to" kind of thing. If you have any suggestions or anything else you need to know just post and I'll answer ASAP. (I'm am not the Queen of Cosplay though, so don't expect me to know everything)

AKATSUKI COATS
Instead of making this from scratch it's best to get a pattern you can manipulate. I used a women's jacket pattern but you can just use a t-shirt pattern if you want.
For the jacket pattern I suggest you use the biggest size it has because the Akatsuki jackets are big. Extend the sleeves as you need and change the length of the jacket to about mid-calf or just above your ankle (make sure you leave about 2cm (I think that's about 1 inch) for the seam). If the jacket is fitted just straighten it (unfit it? I have no idea how to word that :s). Make sure you make the neckline wider, I really must stress this, if you don't the collar won't work. REMEBER YOUR HEAD IS BIGGER THAN YOUR NECK.
For the t-shirt pattern you need to create a opening down the front. Don't just make 2 front pieces, you need to make sure they will overlap each other for the clips. That's really the only difference between the jacket and the t-shirt.
The collar is really simple just measure the neckline of your jacket and cut a rectangle the same length. The height depends on who you're dressing up as but should generally come up to your mouth if not a bit higher (Zetsu's collar seems a bit higher than the others but that's just my opinion). The collar you sew straight onto the neckline as you would a hood.
The clouds can be done in a few different ways that I know of. I used applique but you can also used fabric dye or screen printing. For most of these methods you will probably need to sew a white cloud on first; since your working with black fabric. If you just search up images of Akatsuki clouds you'll find plenty of stencils to work with, just blow them up to the appropriate size. Work out where your want the clouds and how many you want, then stick them to the fabric with some iron on sticky stuff (I forget the name) this is so they won't fall off while you sew around the edges. (If you get sticky stuff that's strong enough you might not even need to sew in down.) For sewing the edges use a very tight and close together zigzag stitch (if your machine has something called applique stitch or satin stitch you can use that), this stops any fraying and will guarantee that you clouds will not fall off. Use the same method for the red part of the clouds of you want to applique it. I've never used fabric dye so I can't help you with that but I can screen-print. If you use screen-printing for the clouds you won't need to sew a white cloud on first. Just make a stencile for the white and red parts of the cloud out of paper (you'll probably need a few since the stencil usually doesn't survive the print). You'll need a screen to print with, if you have a print teacher a school they can help you or ask at a craft store (hobby store?(sorry I live in Australia, I have no idea what you'd call it)). Print with a roller using either fabric paint or acrylic and a sealer type thing that will keep it on the fabric.
You'll need to make the coat twice, once out of black and once out of red fabric for your lining. You may notice that the red lining comes out a little on the front seam so make the front of the lining a little wider so you can fold it over and sew it down.
Snaps are probably the funnest part of making the coats. You will need to choose which type of snap you use depending on how likely the fabric will tear off when you open the snaps. Most snaps you buy come in packs that have little metal things you use the hammer them on. Obviously this isn't something for your kitchen table unless you want little dents in the wood. Marking where the snaps go before you put them on is a good idea, too.

AKATSUKI HATS
Buy a conical Chinese hat from basically anywhere in China Town(or your equivalent) for about $6AUS (about $3US). If you don't have any place like that where you live then order them online, there are tons of sites. You can buy white fabric or strips of fabric from a craft store. Just glue them on with hot glue or super glue.
Some people just hang a red string with a bell on the hat but if you find a close up picture you'll see that it's made up of various red beads. You can sew this onto the hat if you want but glue is a lot easier and has basically the same effect.

HEADBANDS
I don't think I need to explain where to get these but here's a rundown of who wears which.
Leader - Unknown (and even if it is Arashi he doesn't wear one anyways)
Unknown member - Unknown (omfg what are the chances of that!!!)
Deidara - Anti-Iwaga (Village Among the Stones)
Itachi - Anti-Konoha (Hidden Village of Leaves)*/.\*
Zetsu - Unknown (Most likey the Village of Grass)
Kisame - Anti-Kiriga (Village Hidden in Mist)
Kakuzu - Anti-Takiga (Village Hidden in a Waterfall)
Sasori - Anti-Suna (Hidden Village of Sand) A bit confused as to whether he wears it or not.
Tobi - Doesn't wear one (but we all know who he is :winkwink: )
Hidan - Not sure but it seems to be 3 slanted line

TOPS
Not many shots are taken where you can actually see what's under their coats but here's an educated guess. Itachi wears and navy blue/black v-neck tee with a black fishnet top underneath. Kisame wears a blue singlet. Deidara either wears just a fishnet top or a half-length top (you know the ones that stop above your tummy) over a fishnet top. Hidan doesn't wear any top (ohhhh smexy). Kakuzu has stitches and animal masks on his back. The others you can just make up since no one can really contradict you, just go with something that suites your character.

PANTS
It is assumed that all Akatsuki wear the same kind of pants. Once again this is a bit hard to tell since you never see shots of their legs. So this is the general consensus: Navy blue/black ninja pants, which ever doesn't clash as much with you top.

LEG-WARMERS
Or stirrups, whatever you wish to called them. These are white and as far as I know all the members wear these. You can sew these rather easily or buy a pair of stirrups and cut them down to size. Keep in mind these go under your shoe, so make sure your fabric can handle a bit of a beating.
enosseleman suggests using lycra to make the leg-warmers and putting sports tape under your shoe to protect the fabric (see below).

SHOES
Type in ninja shoes or Naruto shoes in the forum search and you will find at least one tutorial on how to make these. I just bought a sock, pulled it over a sandal, cut the toes and heel; gaffer taped it to the shoe and rolled up the cuffs (with some added stuffing). TA DA! Ninja shoes.
Here's 2 ninja shoe tutorials:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=89912
http://www.freewebs.com/iron_chef_cosplay/tut01.html

RINGS
I bought mine at a anime shop in the city but I would suggest Googling it or looking up ebay or Amazon. Wikipeidia has a picture which shows what's on each of their rings. Every Akatsuki member has different ring so make sure you buy the right one.

OTHER STUFF
For contacts I believe there is already many threads that cover this. Most suggest ordering off the internet, and don't worry you can but Sharingan and Mangekyo Sharingan contacts. I must say they are a bit pricey. Make sure to see you optometrist if you've never worn contacts before.
The Samehada is probably something I would never make since I'm not all too hand when it comes to weapon making. From what I gather most people leave in covered in cloth and don't bother with the spikes. The sword itself would probably be made out of cardboard or polystyrene. Maybe you could do something with paper mache and a chicken wire frame?.
Hidan's scythe looks to me like something one would make out of wood and then spray paint it later. I found some time, here's the link for a tutorial: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...45#post1902245
Tobi's mask can be made from wonderflex or you could look up someone who specializes in making masks, there should be at least one person who does where you live. You can order wonderflex of the internet just so you know.
The Venus fly-trap that Zetsu has continues to delude me. I would probably go about it using chicken wire and paper mache but it still looks rather tedious.
The nail-polish that the Akatsuki wear changes in colour through out the anime. Purple, black and light purpley-blue are all accepted as the Akatsuki nail-polish. The light purpley-blue can be made from mixing nail-polish of the same brand, this is the colour Itachi is seen wearing in his first appearance as an Akatsuki member.
Hidan's necklace is just an upside down triangle in a circle that hangs off beads.

Reference Pictures
All: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sukispread.jpg
Hidan: http://kingkakashi.blog.jeuxvideo.co...1162667854.jpg
Itachi: http://www.leafninja.com/images/symbols/Cloak.jpg
Kakuzu: http://www.leafninja.net/images/info...KakuzuBody.jpg
Deidara: http://www.leafninja.net/images/info...eidaraBody.jpg
Kisame: http://www.leafninja.net/images/info...KisameBody.jpg
Zetsu: http://www.leafninja.net/images/info.../ZetsuBody.jpg
Sasori: http://www.leafninja.com/images/info...SasoriBody.jpg
Tobi's mask: http://furfighters.blog.jeuxvideo.co...1155830877.jpg

I hope this helps.

Akatsuki Itachi - 100%
Gaara's Gourd - 45%
Humanoid Kyuubi - 25%
ANBU - 50%

Last edited by Ekatorie : 05-31-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Ekatorie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Sekana Katayama

Thank you! With all the people asking about Akatsuki costumes, this is a good overall thread that explains a lot of it. The punctuation/spelling/grammar could use a little improvement here and there, but it's still an easy to read and helpful guide.

And no, I have no idea how you'd make Zetsu's plant... thing.
Sekana Katayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
princesshimiko
suki de, suki de ..*

Thanks these are awesome tips, I'll surely use some one them

Cosplays 2008-09:
-Kaname Kuran [VAMPIRE KNIGHT]
-Kimihiro Watanuki [XXXHOLIC]
-King Louis XV [LE CHEVALIER D'EON]
princesshimiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Sakanoue Ayame
In Android Hell

This is really useful thank you, now to find the right pattern... Thank you also for reminding me that I CAN applique! I'd quite forgotten ^_^, that'll save me a lot of stress.
Sakanoue Ayame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Dosn't Sasori in Hiruko wear the Anti Suna or am I imagining things? >_<
Unread 05-29-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
Ekatorie
Mass-murdering Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoisakura View Post
Dosn't Sasori in Hiruko wear the Anti Suna or am I imagining things? >_<
Ummm some people tell me he wears his anti-suna headband but other people tell me he has one but you never see him wearing it. I don't read a lot of the manga so I'm not really sure.

Akatsuki Itachi - 100%
Gaara's Gourd - 45%
Humanoid Kyuubi - 25%
ANBU - 50%

Last edited by Ekatorie : 05-29-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Unread 05-29-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Ekatorie
Mass-murdering Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekana Katayama View Post
Thank you! With all the people asking about Akatsuki costumes, this is a good overall thread that explains a lot of it. The punctuation/spelling/grammar could use a little improvement here and there, but it's still an easy to read and helpful guide.
Thank you, sorry about my spelling I was in a rush and my fingers move faster than my head sometimes. >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakanoue Ayame View Post
This is really useful thank you, now to find the right pattern... Thank you also for reminding me that I CAN applique! I'd quite forgotten ^_^, that'll save me a lot of stress.
Try Simplicity for a coat pattern, Mum's are really great people when it comes to old patterns ^^ or at least mine is.

Akatsuki Itachi - 100%
Gaara's Gourd - 45%
Humanoid Kyuubi - 25%
ANBU - 50%

Last edited by Ekatorie : 05-29-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

I must point out that Hidan doesn't have one with triangles but his headband has three slanted lines on it as the design.
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Hanyou Mage
Kimiko Yazmina

I can't find good pics of the clouds. dod you know where i could get them????
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Arienette
...should be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekatorie View Post
Ummm some people tell me he wears his anti-suna headband but other people tell me he has one but you never see him wearing it. I don't read a lot of the manga so I'm not really sure.
I don't believe you actually see Sasori wearing it, but -- SPOILERS *highlight*when he is defeated, it falls out of somewhere and there's a brief shot of it lying on the ground, so he did have one.

ALA '08 -
Sasori - 0% (planning) | Lavi - 80% (repairs)
Naminé - 100% | Misa (backup) - 100%

Later for '08
Nino - Fire Emblem | Lenna Charlotte Tycoon - FFV
Daenerys Targaryen - A Song of Ice and Fire | More?
Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
MadMichiChan

Quote:
Snaps are probably the funnest part of making the coats.
O__O You're crazy. I hate snaps. >__> I always end up hammering myself to cloaks.

Quote:
HEADBANDS
I don't think I need to explain where to get these but here's a rundown of who wears which.
Leader - Unknown (and even if it is Arashi he doesn't wear one anyways)
Unknown member - Unknown (omfg what are the chances of that!!!)
Deidara - Anti-Iwaga (Village Among the Stones)
Itachi - Anti-Konoha (Hidden Village of Leaves)*/.\*
Zetsu - Unknown
Kisame - Anti-Kiriga (Village Hidden in Mist)
Kakuzu - Anti-Takiga (Village Hidden in a Waterfall)
Sasori - Anti-Suna (Hidden Village of Sand) A bit confused as to whether he wears it or not.
Tobi - Doesn't wear one (but we all know who he is :winkwink: )
Hidan - Not sure but it seems to be 3 triangles pointing up
As Tabby Catty said, Hidan's headband is three slashed lines that curve just a tiny bit at the ends.
I'm having trouble finding a good picture other than an eBay product, but it's accurate:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/nahb5643.jpg
Though Zetsu's village is still unknown, most people just consider him to be from Village Hidden in the Grass, if you really want a headband.
Sasori doesn't wear his headband in his true form (visibly), which I'm assuming that most Sasori cosplayers are going to be cosplayed as. Besides, if you go as Hiruko, no one is going to see it anyhow. But if you must get one he keeps it hidden somewhere in his cloak, I guess. Or pants, perhaps? O_o''

Quote:
Hidan's scythe looks to me like something one would make out of wood and then spray paint it later. I found some time, here's the link for a tutorial: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...45#post1902245
OH my GOD thank you. Didn't know this tutorial existed. I have a Hidan and a Marluxia in the group to worry about. xD

If my Kisame and I figure out a good way to make a decent looking Samehada, we'll share it. But for now we're arguing between about 12 different materials. >_> Any suggestions on a particular method?
Unread 05-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Ekatorie
Mass-murdering Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby Catty View Post
I must point out that Hidan doesn't have one with triangles but his headband has three slanted lines on it as the design.
Sorry the pic I had must of been a bit dodgy, I'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanyou Mage View Post
I can't find good pics of the clouds. dod you know where i could get them????
Here's one, but you'll need to blow it up a bit: http://total.naruto.free.fr/symboles/Akatsuki.jpg

Akatsuki Itachi - 100%
Gaara's Gourd - 45%
Humanoid Kyuubi - 25%
ANBU - 50%
Unread 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Ekatorie
Mass-murdering Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMichiChan View Post
O__O You're crazy. I hate snaps. >__> I always end up hammering myself to cloaks.

Though Zetsu's village is still unknown, most people just consider him to be from Village Hidden in the Grass, if you really want a headband.

If my Kisame and I figure out a good way to make a decent looking Samehada, we'll share it. But for now we're arguing between about 12 different materials. >_> Any suggestions on a particular method?
Hammering yourself to cloaks? Well I did hit myself a few times -_- I guess I used it as an outlet for anger^^

Umm with the headband thing I was just writing up the villages of the ones who actually wear their headbands but I'll write up the ones who don't if you want.

If you tell me which materials you're arguing (sp?) over I'll try and suggest something, but like I said, I'm not very good at weapon making You could try modifiying the buster sword tutorial, I know the Samehada is a bit bigger but it could work. http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82923
And here's a Zabuza sword one as well: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=84867

Akatsuki Itachi - 100%
Gaara's Gourd - 45%
Humanoid Kyuubi - 25%
ANBU - 50%

Last edited by Ekatorie : 05-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Unread 05-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

Yo Ekatorie,you think this coat pattern will work for an Akatsuki coat?

Pattern #6519

And here's an offsite tutorial for making Naruto shoes.
Naruto Fleece Sandal Tutorial
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
enosseleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekatorie View Post
LEG-WARMERS
Or stirrups, whatever you wish to called them. These are white and as far as I know all the members wear these. You can sew these rather easily or buy a pair of stirrups and cut them down to size. Keep in mind these go under your shoe, so make sure your fabric can handle a bit of a beating.
Regarding the legwarmers, I recommend white spandex as a fabric. To prevent wear under your shoe, I used athletic tape in two layers at the bottom of the stirrup and found that you can just pull it off at the end of the day and still keep the bottom of the stirrups in great shape.
enosseleman is offline   Reply With Quote