Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.61 average.
Unread 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #61
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

Okay, first off- I DID NOT MAKE THIS PICTURE TUTORIAL! http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41043203/ A friend who is on DeviantArt did. I had made two rings beforehand, but this whole thing with the clear stones that you put in fish tanks, it helped me sooo much to improve my ring design. So, go and look at that tutorial first. Once you've seen/read it, you can continue on here...

Well, just like her, I used Sculpey- although the AC Moore by me(the only craft store in walking distance until last month) didn't have any silver Sculpey. If you craft store doesn't, don't fret. I bought beige, and since I knew I would need acrylic paints anyway, just bought some beige acrylic paint for the cover-ups after baking, and silver to paint the entire thing with after that. I took out two squares of Sculpey(ok, rectangles... it comes in 4 rectangles in each pack). With one, I took about half of the amount of rectangle, and slowly worked it into a long strip. I didn't want it to be to thick though, since this was to be the band for my ring, and so I wanted to be able to close my hand properly. After gauging the thickness I wanted, I wrapped it around my finger(in this case, my first finger) to see if it was the right length. It was too long, so instead of messing up my width, I just took my boxcutter(see headband tutorial) and cut some clay off of both ends, so it would have a clean, sharp cut- and be able to attach to the body of the ring smoothly. Then I laid the strip flat, and cut from the two sides, so it looked like a professionally done ring band.

Then I took the rest of my 1st rectangle, and a little clay from my 2nd one, and began forming a pretty-much flat, wide circle with it for the top of the ring. See, in the tutorial, my friend made her ring have a hole in the middle, but when I thought about it, I found that to be pointless. It doesn't need to be indented at all, thanks to that stone- and indenting it will actually make you symbol harder to see!! So, mine was flat along the top for the most part. I took one of those clear stones at this point- I bought a pack of 20 at the craft store- and laid the clearest, most circular one onto the ring. Then I made the clay circle of the ring I'd been working on slightly bigger than this stone, all the way around, so it gave the appearance of the middle of the ring being indented, without it actually being so. I made sure this clay circle was pretty thick too- since it has to be painted. Once I had the right size, I carefully turned it over, and took the band I'd worked on before and carefully mushed the edges(that I'd cut earlier) into the bottom of the round part of the ring, to attach it. Try it on, and make sure it fits very snugly! The coking will make it expand some, and you don't want it to fall off while you're cosplaying!!

Then it went in the oven. But- NOT at the temp it says on the Sculpey package!! Last time I did that, it burned! So, try it about 25- 50 degrees below that, and it'll take about 15 minutes longer to cook. Watch it, but make sure you have a window open.

After being cooked, I got out my blue-green, silver, and beige acrylics. You won't need beige though if you can find silver Sculpey to begin with... and instead of blue-green, if you aren't being Deidara, get the color for you character. So, before you paint the symbol or anything, you'll need to do touch-ups, thanks to the cooking. That's what the silver is for- you want a uniform color all around. Once that's done, carefully paint the part that the stone will cover in bluegreen(or whichever color). Place the stone on once the paint is dry, to see if you got onto the parts of the top that're supposed to be silver(only under the stone should be a color). If everything is okay, take a very small tipped, but hard brush, and some black paint- preferably acrylics again. I'd practice on a paper towel or piece of paper first, and make sure you have a reference picture of your symbol. Just carefully paint it onto the center of the colored part of the ring. As long as you painted your color smoothly before, this will be no problem. Though... if you're nervous about this, then while you're still sculpting the circle part of the ring, you can actually indent the design into the center. I didn't see any need though...

Once all your painting is done, take the clear stone that you've chosen, and some clear super glue. Just put a tiny amount of glue all around the edge of the stone, and push it down onto the top of the circle part of your ring. Hold it there for a few minutes, then leave your ring, sitting upright somewhere overnight, to dry.

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -NYCC-
2014 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV); Scarlet Witch(Uncanny Avengers)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #62
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

Eh... dammit, what happened to page 4?... Well, once I can access it again, I'll delete my double post, but I wanna make sure people can see this, so yeah...

Conventions 2014~
2014 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV); Scarlet Witch(Uncanny Avengers)

Unread 08-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #63
Sanda
SH obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix84 View Post
Excellent point. As of now, the ring is the only thing I've bought pre-made, I guess. It wouldn't be hard to fix the color, though. So I don't mind doing that at all.

Speaking on details, any tips on making the scope that Deidara has? I'm planning on making it, even though I'll be walking around the con blind (I wear glasses and contacts irriate my eyes).
Thank you Rings premade is fine, we're casting ours. Planning on taking metal courses for the headbands.
CAS hours for IB diploma right there >D!!!
I will ask my Deidara. She explained it to me before but I completely forgot ;_;!! Ill PM it to you soon n_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika View Post
The clouds are not only not the same, but, if you look at the model sheets & screenshots for Itachi, the highest one on his back faces in a different direction than all the others. If the coats are all the same, then the topmost cloud on the back will go in the opposite direction from the rest of them. There's 6-7 of them (depending on if you count the split one in the front as one or two).

Hope that is of a help to detail-fiends (like myself).
Oh, so there are 7 xD;;? I've been too lazy to count yah~
Awesome tip. Detail fiend, that I am indeed I'm even having a tough time deciding how to put Kisame's armbands together. Blue part over white, white over blue, or just on equal levels. Kishi can't seem to make up his mind in the manga, and in the anime it seems to be the oposite of the manga. And I'm going by the manga, so I'm kinda in a pickle over this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mer View Post
The links are not working for me. It might be because I'm at work. Are they white contacts? If not, what ones are they?

And I'm basing my ring color on this picture: http://www.saiyanisland.com/naruto/i...atsukiring.gif

I may end up watching the episodes with Itachi and Kisame just to make sure of any details I do need.

Also wanted to say for my Kisame, I'm probably not gonna do prosthetics for the gills but I did find something interesting. This stuff caleld Liquid Collodion. It made my skin pretty indented. I'll reapply the stuff and take pics to show ya guys if you are interested.
I think thats it, I do believe the links work?
They are black sclera, green iris. It is a common misconcepion that Kuzu has white iris...Not sure why, but it's possibly the only color group picture because they do appear to be white there.
They're called Golieth. $210 there, $495 other places...

Very interesting. I havent heard of this stuff~
Quote:
Well, we'll see how they turn out. But for yours, what are you using? I also have dolls but haven't moded them so I might know what it is...

Also, this was me messing around with the liquid collodion in my girlfriend's bathroom when I got the stuff: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v8...ogress/Kisame/

Pay no attention to the Itachi mark. It was to show my Itachi what it could do for her.
Thank you for the pictures!! I'll be sending those to my Zetsu&Dei if that's okay xD Theyre the coordinators of stuff like that~
This material is a nice possibility.
How is it pricewise?

And where be page 4? ;_;!!!

I wanna see Aurora Maryte's posts!!!
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #64
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

No, I was saying I had to repost it here on this page, and I was sorry for having to post it twice, because when I went to go look at it... page 4 disappeared!! I don't know how the hell that happened, but once I saw it was gone, I reposted my ring 'tutorial'. Though hell, your method for making the rings sounds much better.

Conventions 2014~

Unread 08-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #65
Fenix42
grappling hook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI_grl View Post
Thank you Rings premade is fine, we're casting ours. Planning on taking metal courses for the headbands.
I will ask my Deidara. She explained it to me before but I completely forgot ;_;!! Ill PM it to you soon n_n
Thanks!! And I'd love to see pictures of the rings and headbands when they're done.

No idea what happened to page 4..hope it comes back though

Last edited by Fenix42 : 08-03-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Fenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #66
ningyobaka

Quote:

If you can cast metal why do you need to take a metal coarse for the head bands?

how are you making the head bands if you need a special corse?
ningyobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #67
-Kitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningyobaka View Post
If you can cast metal why do you need to take a metal coarse for the head bands?

how are you making the head bands if you need a special corse?
I'm guessing she means cast from liquid plastic or resin, personally I prefer liquid plastic.

You would need the metal course in order to have access to the tools needed to etch the design in the band and get it to size without making it sharp enough to scrape you forehead off.
Unread 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #68
ningyobaka

well i have a freind who cast her head bands so that's why i was asking. and i assumed she was casting her ring out of metal. i'd still prefer to hear from them what they are doing.
Unread 08-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #69
The Mer

Quote:
Thank you for the pictures!! I'll be sending those to my Zetsu&Dei if that's okay xD Theyre the coordinators of stuff like that~
This material is a nice possibility.
How is it pricewise?
That's fine. The bottle was $4 and it was kinda little. I wanna get the bigger bottle but I wanted to make sure it was okay. I'm gonna play with the stuff this weekend for sure and get some better pictures.
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #70
Sanda
SH obsessed.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix84 View Post
Thanks!! And I'd love to see pictures of the rings and headbands when they're done.

No idea what happened to page 4..hope it comes back though
No problem You will get to see some pictures for sure, but it will be a while ;_; These are spanned out over a year and at this point I'm the only one working on stuff...for now >D

Quote:
That's fine. The bottle was $4 and it was kinda little. I wanna get the bigger bottle but I wanted to make sure it was okay. I'm gonna play with the stuff this weekend for sure and get some better pictures.
Awesome! Seems reasonably priced to me; can't wait for more pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukunai Kitsune View Post
I'm guessing she means cast from liquid plastic or resin, personally I prefer liquid plastic.

You would need the metal course in order to have access to the tools needed to etch the design in the band and get it to size without making it sharp enough to scrape you forehead off.
Exactly
As far as what we make them out of, again I must consult the Dei&Zetsu I believe it's resin but may I ask why you prefer the other? I personally am not used to working with them, what are advantages & or drawbacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningyobaka View Post
well i have a freind who cast her head bands so that's why i was asking. and i assumed she was casting her ring out of metal. i'd still prefer to hear from them what they are doing.
I'll be asking my Dei&Zetsu about this one;
We've never really worked with metal before hence the course. Plus as Sukunai Kitsune said, the tools and stuff :3

Started the doodads to go on the hats :3 Made one xD;; need 3 moar ;_;
Unread 08-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #71
LeanaMee101
Day Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Mei View Post
well, we're talking about 20 year old stirrup pants that i frankensteined.

however, I suggest Blair.com as they are the only ones that I find to be reliable for stirrups. They have many styles and fits, and out of different materials.
And they are fast shippers.

These are the ones I suggest - $16.99
(I can finally see the 4th page)

Thanks a lot. I'll probally end up skipping the leg warmers for the Summer gathering I plan to get to cause I'm down right poor atm . Working hard to get the underclothing (even though Hot Topic doesnt have the right shirt. Makes me sad cause I love the place to death) and working to get a video camera. Thanks for the help! I'll keep this in mind when I have the money and patients to check them out!
  • Anime Expo (Confirmed - Artist Alley)
  • K-Con (Confirmed)

2014 Cosplay Plans
  • Red (Pokemon) - 50% complete
  • Yukine (Noragami) - 10% complete
  • G:amma (Alphabat) - 90% complete
  • Onew (SHINee) - 10% complete
  • Dongwoo "Special Girl" (Infinite)
  • Jung Kook "No More Dream" (BTS) - 50% complete
2015 Cosplay Plans
  • High Priestess (Ragnarok Online)
LeanaMee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #72
ningyobaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanaMee101 View Post
(I can finally see the 4th page)

Thanks a lot. I'll probally end up skipping the leg warmers for the Summer gathering I plan to get to cause I'm down right poor atm . Working hard to get the underclothing (even though Hot Topic doesnt have the right shirt. Makes me sad cause I love the place to death) and working to get a video camera. Thanks for the help! I'll keep this in mind when I have the money and patients to check them out!
this is going to sound a bit weird but, if the shirt you need is a fishnet top, i would suggest getting it someplace other than hot topic. their fishnet is pretty poorly made. (like everything else:P) (here's the weird part) if your needing a fishnet top, i personally would suggest you going to store like the hustlier store or a store similar if you can manage. (just incase, it's an adult store. we have one by my house but i know they aren't everywhere.) they tend to have really nice fishnet shirts. that's where i get mine. and if you don't have one of those kinds of stores, (again weird) go to a strip club,a nice one, like dejavu maybe, and they sell clothing sometimes and might have nice fishnet tops.
Unread 08-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #73
Spinni

This may sound very dense of me but I was trying to find a good pic of Deidara's hair so that I can get the wig as accruate as possible!

Does anyone know where I can find one?
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #74
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinni View Post
This may sound very dense of me but I was trying to find a good pic of Deidara's hair so that I can get the wig as accruate as possible!

Well, you're obviously looking for color pics,right?... but I don't know if you mind if they're from the anime or not(since Dei looks different in the anime). If they absolutely MUST be from the manga, idk what to say... I mean, I know manga sites, but those are all black and white, or fan colored pics... But I know a site with tons of anime screenshots. http://media.shippuden.net/screens/
If you want tons of manga pics though, let me know, and I'll PM you some.

Conventions 2014~

Last edited by Aurora Maryte : 08-06-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Unread 08-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #75
Sanda
SH obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinni View Post

Not dense, just trying to be accurate. Thats a GOOD thing! n_n

Welllll, anime is one thing but I'd go with manga. Usually is more accurate. Plus, if there ARE inconsistencies they'll be quite obvious, yahh??
So, ok volume 31's cover :3
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...o31cover-1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...other/wins.png

And, the only full color group Akatsuki spread out there too...
Added in some b&w pics for reference, and that last one...well...its a shot of his back, plus you get some epic lulz for free. What moar could you ask for ?

As far as the manga goes, just make a collage in paint outta the pics and print it out. Quite handy when it comes to making things. That's what I did for the Dei belt&bags as well as the beads on their hats. So far things have worked out~

Also, make sure it's long enough in the back. So many people make it short; it really isn't!

I'd suggest as Aurora Maryte did if you do wanna go by the anime. Great site btw I'll just be headed over there now xD;;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naruto_v30_ch263_01.jpg (98.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P.jpg (45.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg akatsuuuujkkiii.JPG (75.1 KB, 0 views)