Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #166
gothicpanda
Don't steal my sunshine

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcostum View Post
What is the order in Canada? and what is the level needed to go up a step? IE 1 win as a novice, 3 wins as a journeyman, etc. My understanding of almost 20 years was such.

1 novice - Journeyman
3 journeyman - master
3 master - Artisan
Artisan - only compete vs. other Artisans or non-comp show pieces.

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong? Again, this has been my understanding for a long time now. And are these codified across the board? If I compete in the states, do I get put into the novice category again? Kaijugal, you seem like the person to know these things.

Hi, I just noticed this thread so I will answer what I know.
The conventions local to me, (and some of the bigger conventions I'm aware of in Canada), use:

Novice (for beginners, sometimes called "beginners")
Journeyman
Artisan (sometimes called "craftsman")
Master (sometimes called "craftsman" if there is only 3 divisions)
(And sometimes Out-Of-Competition if they let people show costumes they've purchased or have previously won an award for at that con.)

I think in the United States, amongst the conventions that are using division guidelines,
Artisan is not used as often, and I've seen it called "Craftsman" instead.

GOTHIC PANDA
gothicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #167
Chaletica
[laughs]

So, I saw the discussion about "wrong music/presentation can ruin the costume" some pages ago, and I felt like saying that at FCBD this year they tried avoiding this by having a specific soundtrack for each character/group of characters in the contest. Typically, intro/ED themes from the series, the character's "theme" if any, well-known "fan songs"(for example, a Link got the "Link, he came to town" song" or something else appropriate. (for example, as Canada, I got "Canadian, Please". xD) I guess this must have been a lot of work, but a good idea.
I don't know if any of the participants were involved themselves with music choices, but let me just say I don't think they'd be ignored if they asked.

Anyway, at FCBD and Metrocon(our rename of FCBD Halloween, and no relation to the other Metrocon) we usually have a cosplay contest(which is pretty much short walk-ons by yourself) and possibly a few skits, however, there's no skit contest, and we usually only get one or two each time. We'll have to get the skits approved before, though.
In the contest, we're divided into categories of "bought" and "homemade" costumes. The "bought" category's focus is usually your presentation, posing and being in-character(though, of course, costume's important too), while the "homemade" also takes into consideration how the costume looks and is made.
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #168
DazzlexMe

Right now the skit I am doing has one other person involved. We wanted to break into a short dance in the middle of the skit but I wasn't sure if this was a good or bad idea. Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter?
DazzlexMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #169
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlexMe View Post
Right now the skit I am doing has one other person involved. We wanted to break into a short dance in the middle of the skit but I wasn't sure if this was a good or bad idea. Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter?
This isn't really the thread for this question.

However, my personal opinion is that I've seen way too many of this kind of 'suddenly, random dancing!' skit over the years (and way too many just at Dragon*Con recently) so it's kind of a tired schtick. I'd say only dance if it has something to do with the rest of the skit and isn't just random, and make sure you practice your dancing really well.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #170
Erik_anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicpanda View Post
Hi, I just noticed this thread so I will answer what I know.
The conventions local to me, (and some of the bigger conventions I'm aware of in Canada), use:

Novice (for beginners, sometimes called "beginners")
Journeyman
Artisan (sometimes called "craftsman")
Master (sometimes called "craftsman" if there is only 3 divisions)
(And sometimes Out-Of-Competition if they let people show costumes they've purchased or have previously won an award for at that con.)

I think in the United States, amongst the conventions that are using division guidelines,
Artisan is not used as often, and I've seen it called "Craftsman" instead.
Generally when we came up with the ICG competition brackets is was intended to ensure people would not sandbag (having a hire skill competitor choose a lower bracket to ensure they won it), which was becoming a real problem in the mid 80's at many competitions.

Now there is no hard and fast rule, no costume police force that takes you off to the fabric less cell if you break a rule, no it was a way of providing a social convention in which we all generally follow in the spirit of promoting our hobby.

As late the category of 'Master' has given way to 'Open', which means you are competing with everyone there as a way of removing some of the elitism of the title. Though I must confess when someone asks for my credentials I still say "master class costumer", but mostly out of habit.

~-----------------------------------------------------------------------~
~----------------------------~
Evil so refined that it knows what fork to use... but chooses not to
~----------------------------~
~-----------------------------------------------------------------------~
Erik_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote