Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 05-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Jeffypoo

Gaara's gourd

Hi I was just wonder if anyone where I can pruchase the Gaara gourd. I tried looking at ebay but the one they sell there are small and baglike looking. Im looking for one with an actual size. I am thinking of making one by myself, anyone got tips for doing that?
Jeffypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Emowafflexx
Haters gon' Hate.

I don't know where you can buy Gaara's gourd but you could always cut it out of cardboard, or buy one at the supermarket!

But seriously, I know this kid who cut Gaara's gourd out of cardboard and though it was flat, it looked really nice^_^

Hilary

Ps: I was just kidding about the whole supermarket thing, but you could always try to look there^_^
  • Kiki --- Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Venesaur --- Pokemon

Children's Card Games, I play them.
Hook me up at the convention for a duel?
Emowafflexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
*VoD*Shikamaru
My name sucks, I know.

I've heard of people using a paper machet method. You could use one of those punch balloons so it looks bigger and a little more accurate in size. I think you would have more fun and make it look the way you want if you were to make it instead of buying it. Plus, I wouldn't know where to buy one.
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
TheMadMonkey

the Punch ballons would be great for it,
to make the shape right, you might try duct tape to get the curve between the two orbs right. then paper mache, or plaster bandages would be great.
would recomend, with the large surface area putting a mesh fiber around in between layers of the mache'. could also try sprinkling some sand on it while drying and before paint.
TheMadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Jeffypoo

i was planning on buying two big bouncing ball at wal-mart then duck tape them together and paper mache it. AFter let it dry and spraypaint it and paint in the pattern. The problem is if I leave the ball in, is it going to be heavy?
Jeffypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
*VoD*Shikamaru
My name sucks, I know.

Somewhat. Maybe it'll even feel accurate in weight too. XD If you're worried about weight you could just use punch balloons.
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
TheMadMonkey

the real weight is going to come from the mache' and how much you use of that
not the balls
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
The_Killer_Hare
Bunny of Death

I've seen a few Farmer's Markets with squash big enough and properly shaped to act as the gourd after dried out. But that's far too expensive and heavy unless you want to spend quite a lot of time exercising and alot of money.
The_Killer_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
Turtleen

Quote:
i was planning on buying two big bouncing ball at wal-mart then duck tape them together and paper mache it. AFter let it dry and spraypaint it and paint in the pattern. The problem is if I leave the ball in, is it going to be heavy?
D: Don't do that. I tried it, and had to just throw it away because they fell off right away. They're not too heavy for you, but keeping them together is impossible.
I used two beach balls, then paper mached over them, tied them together with duct tape and fishing wire and then painted over. If you do that though, don't be too rough with it. It seemed to be pretty durable, so I wasn't really paying much attention to what I did with it, and then the tape and everything all fell off and then mache cracked... it was bad. And then at AN it kept breaking because I didn't fix it properly xD;;
Turtleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
TheMadMonkey

you could try beach balls with the mache and then fill them with the expding foam from like lowes or where ever, give them a light internal core.
And a good way to add strength to mache is to give it a stronger fiber base. either fiber tape or cheese cloth between the layers to give it support
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Lightsong

Wow, I am late this XD
I have one for sale (probably way to late) but its life size and hollow so it can carry things.
It's durable, I can sit on it without it Breaking or bending. It comes with the white sash to hold it up. If you're interested after like 6 years, lemme know XD
Lightsong is offline   Reply With Quote